Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take (opinion) 0n the next 10-14 days of SP. We will get some rise next week on buy the rumor. IF the handover party presents a surprise; Example, EM does a 'Steve Jobs' after delivering the first 30 cars and delivers 100 more/says ramp is ahead of schedule, then we get a bounce Up and it overcomes what will probably be a Luke warm Q2ER. If no surprise and a lukewarm ER I expect an SP dip. This dip may literally be short lived between the ER and the CC. The CC could be explosive for the SP UP.

One thing Musk does for sure, is he never does 'Steve Jobs'. If anything he will deliver like 22 cars and give some reason for where the other 8 are stuck. I mean really, for these many years we have been following Musk and Tesla, tell me one instance when Musk exceeded expectations.

Don't get me wrong the company and Musk have show some phenomenal growth and progress. I applaud it fully with my entire portfolio. But as far as I can remember Musk has always set near term expectations higher than what was immediately accomplished. Literally today we got the "silky smooth" which was promised to be delivered, I can't even remember, like a month ago.

Although I'm curious to hear why you think the CC could be explosive for the SP UP.

I think TSLA is ready to rise above 330 next week, news and macros allowing. If you look at the past two weeks of trading, you will see that the daily trading range has been getting narrower and narrower, with the top of the trading range hanging in there at about 330 and the bottom of the range rising. I wouldn't be surprised to see TSLA rise through 330 on Monday and I think the shorts are worried about this because a close above 330 could lead to 340, which could get lots of weak shorts covering prior to the July 28 Model 3 reveal. Further weakening the position of the shorts is that their manipulative techniques may work well with a descending price and uncertainty, but I don't believe those conditions will exist next week.

View attachment 236937

What might they do?
* Don't be surprised to see new FUD over the weekend.
* If there's a Monday morning mandatory dip, the shorts may throw in lots of resources, but it could be a nice buying opportunity if you believe next week will be a green week for TSLA.
Let the weekend FUD begin.
California Says Tesla Is Too Big to Fail

One thing Musk does for sure, is he never does 'Steve Jobs'. If anything he will deliver like 22 cars and give some reason for where the other 8 are stuck. I mean really, for these many years we have been following Musk and Tesla, tell me one instance when Musk exceeded expectations.

Don't get me wrong the company and Musk have show some phenomenal growth and progress. I applaud it fully with my entire portfolio. But as far as I can remember Musk has always set near term expectations higher than what was immediately accomplished. Literally today we got the "silky smooth" which was promised to be delivered, I can't even remember, like a month ago.

Although I'm curious to hear why you think the CC could be explosive for the SP UP.

The only way I see for explosive up is.....three big IFs: ZEV credits gives close to positive ER (unlikely), ER is actually better than we think (unlikely) or CC (possible) where EM announces GF 3/4 and announces ramp is ahead of schedule.

Now, it could be bad (not explosive) to the downside as well. In this scenario we get buy the rumor (handover) and a double sell the news: handover and poor ER/CC. I realize everything medium term is about the model 3 ramp and long term about having actual earnings on an ER. I am talking short term here.

I will ponder this going into mid next week and may add protective puts if we get a spike up to say $345-350 before the handover looking at late August/Sept expiry for them. (300-320 strikes)

**Note: I have notoriously called greater than 50% of the ERs incorrectly from late 2015 thru 2016.**. So this is definitely Not advice;)

I strongly believe any dips this coming week are good buying opportunities. There is a substantial chance more investors/traders will want back in this close to M3. The way the stock has been trading, I don't believe the M3 reveal will be a sell the news event. I'm not sure of the Q2 ER effect but I'm guessing it will play 2nd fiddle here by a long shot to M3.

We should get an order backlog update on the Model 3, could it be at or above 500k deposits? Maybe: Steve on Twitter

You're conflating two disparate styles of management and leadership- albeit both successful. The difference is public exposure of the goal (Elon) vs reveal only at completion of the goal (Jobs). There wasn't a single Apple product completed on time, but the public and investors weren't allowed participation in that disclosure.

Musk (uniquely) operates differently. He hasn't exceeded expectations because they WERE divulged prior to accomplishment.

When did any Apple expectation reveal such from a Jobs declaration? Never- but internally, they NEVER exceeded those same expectations. That was precisely the strategic deployment required to develop the moat for the markets they were addressing.

This is not the case for Tesla and Elon knows it and has always known it. Tesla is most (and only) successful if they disrupt and catalyze the entire transportation, energy, and manufacturing industries of the world.

The two men are different leaders against different objectives with different methods of achievement.

You're conflating two disparate styles of management and leadership- albeit both successful. The difference is public exposure of the goal (Elon) vs reveal only at completion of the goal (Jobs). There wasn't a single Apple product completed on time, but the public and investors weren't allowed participation in that disclosure.

Musk (uniquely) operates differently. He hasn't exceeded expectations because they WERE divulged prior to accomplishment.

When did any Apple expectation reveal such from a Jobs declaration? Never- but internally, they NEVER exceeded those same expectations. That was precisely the strategic deployment required to develop the moat for the markets they were addressing.

This is not the case for Tesla and Elon knows it and has always known it. Tesla is most (and only) successful if they disrupt and catalyze the entire transportation, energy, and manufacturing industries of the world.

The two men are different leaders against different objectives with different methods of achievement.

Yes, agreed.

However, the discussion was wether Musk will surprise us on the stage next Friday. Answer to that, based on history, is no.

Agreed, that is why many of the more ambitious statements on this website should generally be ignored.

Right before forecasts of M3 numbers for the year were released, people were talking about Tesla having a warehouse of 5k-10k vehicles sitting around to surprise everyone. This is not Musk's MO. It's the same for the Semi and the MY, we will hear of construction of the factories/lines well in advance of meaningful production.

don't even get me started on the HUD nonsense. Tesla can't fart loudly without it being mentioned in the press.

I'm long Tesla, and i'm long on a reasonable margin. There is a fantastic future for the business, but surprise volume production will not be a part of it.

Just to play devils advocate here... its depends on the degree of surprise that you are looking for.
In the run up to the M3 reveal, there was some heated debate on this forum as to whether or not Musk would give updates on reservation numbers during the party.
So some kind of "surprise" might not be out of the question?

I can see an update on reservation numbers as being logical, and, IMO, the way to go.
Osbourning the S has to be a concern at this stage until the 3 is well into the ramp. They are already antiselling the 3 and adding more value to the S with standard features like air suspension for no extra charge.
What better way to get people into an S now (even add a two year lease) than to announce 400-500k reservations on the 28th representing a two year wait.

Just to play devils advocate here... its depends on the degree of surprise that you are looking for.
In the run up to the M3 reveal, there was some heated debate on this forum as to whether or not Musk would give updates on reservation numbers during the party.
So some kind of "surprise" might not be out of the question?
I understand what you are saying. However, this is on the demand side rather that the supply side. Hopefully we all agree that if Tesla could produce a million M3s per year there would be a market for them. The demand side is so far away from the supply side that it doesn't matter what happens with demand for the next year or two. In theory, tesla would be better off just auctioning their M3s on Ebay until supply/demand are roughly equal.

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLA3 and RobStark
Status
Not open for further replies.