Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dude... Tesla might sell 100k cars this year... that's the equivalent of about 10 hours of all auto sales in a year. I don't think they're concerned right now. look at all of their targets... 2018, 2020, 2021, etc. Tesla is playing the short game on this one... and it's not awesome.

Thanks for your time and energy collecting and providing as current as current can be on the competition. I took the time to watch the video and while I would have used my right hand, I probably would have used other more colorful cuss words:) But, and this is a little but, I own and drive an MX. I spent the extra $8K for all Autopilot is worth today or actually as of 31Mar17.

Is Autopilot perfect, no and I know that for a fact. Does Tesla research benefit from my driving, you bet they do. It is no different than the merrage between my wife and I. Our kids did not come to us as new borns, then get whisked away till they were twenty. No the warranty was not provided, and we got stuck with not only the baby poo in the early stages, but all the poo that followed. The owners manual was wet and useless. It was all learn as you go.

Dude, to use your name for someone else, I have been called many names over my life time, and some by my wife, but rationally reviewing the material I will not change my mind any more than based on what I have read here from you, nor do I get the impression will you. Tesla goes beyond Autopilot, it is the entire physical body of the car, it is the entire buying experience, it is the repair experience, it is the company tree hugging experience, it is the experience ~ period. The driving experience is totally unmatched ~ bar none:)

Every, and I do mean every auto manufacture has had the opportunity over the last ten years, at a minimum, to wake up, slap their foreheads and say "I should have had a V-8," but, but, but they did NOT.

I do not know if you are paid for your view, or if you wake up and try to figure out another way to short Tesla, or if your rational thinking button is failing after an excessive number of years of abuse. Mine is probably excessive abuse. I used to tell my freshman computer students that some people actually take a small yellow pill to become stupid. Then I would tell them I expected the very best from them, and nothing less. I told the girls that they could kick any boys buttox, they just had to apply themselves and I expected nothing less. I told them it was no skin off my nose if they all got "A's" out of my class; what mattered was what they did with that "A" down the road. And yes, some student in the very back of one class asked if the little yellow pill was true:)

myusername if after re-reading your own information, the comments from others on this blog about Autopilot, anddddd test drive an S, an X or if someone you know has a 3 (I know ~ right), you come back and reinforce what others have decided to block you for or come back and take a more positive view of the company; that is all I can hope for you.

Maybe I should stop responding to your rants, but I am not always sure my thoughts are not also viewed as rants; however, I will admit it. I also try to learn something from everyone that will make me better. That is why I bothered to read your articles and view your video. Bottom Line: There was nothing compelling me to change my mind.

I am looking for some green in the am:) All day actually:)

and since there's basically constant dialog on how far ahead Tesla is to ALL competitors... let's look at a few:

GM’s ‘Super Cruise’ Tesla Autopilot competitor arrives in a Cadillac this fall

"GM will launch its Super Cruise advanced highway automatic driving feature this fall, debuting first in the new Cadillac CT6. Super Cruise has been in the works for a few years now" ... "Super Cruise offers features very similar to Tesla’s Autopilot" ... "Super Cruise can also be updated over-the-air"

Ford's new autonomous Fusion looks freakishly normal

"Ford says that the improvements it has made to the project, which started three years ago, should keep it on track to hit the company’s target of creating a fully autonomous car that can be used by ride-sharing or ride-hailing services by 2021." ... one reason Ford was able to streamline the look of the new car is that the new LIDAR sensors from Velodyne — which Ford and Chinese web giant Baidu invested $150 million in — have improved enough that Ford can get as much data using two of them as they used to with four"

Toyota’s billion-dollar AI research center has a new self-driving car

"The vehicle is the base for two of TRI’s self-driving research paths: Chauffeur and Guardian. Chauffeur is research into Level 4 self-driving, where the car is restricted to certain geographical areas like a city or interstates, as well as Level 5 autonomy, which would work anywhere. Guardian is a driver-assist system that monitors the environment around the vehicle, alerting the driver to potential hazards and stepping in to assist with crash avoidance when necessary."

a bling ridden left hand and amateur dialog of an Audi driving itself.

Audi’s new A8 will drive through traffic jams for you

"Much like other autonomous systems, the Traffic Jam Pilot uses cameras and laser sensors to map out the road and other vehicles." ... "
In addition to the autonomous driving features, Nvidia also powers the in-car infotainment system and screens, which are meant to create a “virtual cockpit.”"

just some quick searching got me this. to me, it doesn't appear that the rest of the auto industry is sitting there waiting for Tesla to replace them... and it also appears that EVERYONE else is using LIDAR.

one more:

Mercedes will give Tesla's Autopilot its first real competition this year

Audi's maxes out at 37mph I believe as it's appropriately called (lane-keeping with) traffic assist. That's far cry from 90mph. It's the easiest implementation of all.

Ford initial deployment will be shuttling employees around campus, which is controlled environment. They have a long way to have it go to wild and doing it at high speeds, if at all possible.

Google/Waymo had its own small fleet but probably have advanced ML models. But I recall each Google autonomous car can only go 25mph, so maybe not so advanced. Here's there explanation why: Google Explains Why Its Self-Driving Cars Only Go 25 MPH (For Now)

Toyota Guardian and Cadillac Super Cruise are like AP1, but not at 90mph. Takes a lot of refinement. Going through I-280 at 80-85 for a car like Cadillac or Model X/S are stable by just weight and lower center of gravity for these cars. Chauffeur it's gonna be like what Ford wish they can do - around town. This may be a wish for Toyota also. Google does at 25mph...

Mercedes - not so positive reviews and more like a dumbed down AP1 with no recognition of speed limits.

Tesla AP2 start showing signs of intelligence with variable speed not due to distance with front car or speed limit, but rather with knowledge from the fleet learning or other intelligence - this is my observation based on latest software going through Hwy 17 from Silicon Valley to Santa Cruz.

The key is will Tesla able to find/iterate good enough ML models to process fleet data and arrive at predictable consistent "right" decisions ("fleet -learning-of-the-good") and apply to individual Tesla car decisions during self-driving. If it does, competition is behind by billions of real world miles already and proprietary algorithms. If it doesn't, then it still will lead in most practical driving assist tech for the immediate future.

Last edited:
I want help myusername out of the goodness of my heart ;). I have been following Comma ai closely and their lane keeping s/w is almost at parity with auto pilot (but does not have other features like lane change, auto park etc.). Also scaling is a big problem for George Hotz and he readily admits that he is trying to reach parity with the autopilot!!
Until tesla the mothership server completes its simulations based on hours of video feeds and miles of sensor data that is being accumulated at a proportional (dare i say it exponential) rate. Once the simulations are complete, the switch will be flipped and we'll get very close to FSD but only limited by regulations and laws. Just my opinion, and i'm not a robot and no AI server farm made me write this....

I don't think everyone else using LIDAR should necessarily be interpreted as Tesla doomed to fail without it, but rather all the "experts" (other than Tesla, obviously) shout loudly from the rooftops that LIDAR is necessary, and all the other manufacturers are too risk-averse to do anything other than what the "experts" say they should. Safer to have more sensor data than you need, even if it's costly to implement, than to not have enough, is the conservative mindset.

That's not to say the "experts" might turn out to be right, but rather that it's not as simple as the majority being correct.

Reactions: landis
Until tesla the mothership server completes its simulations based on hours of video feeds and miles of sensor data that is being accumulated at a proportional (dare i say it exponential) rate. Once the simulations are complete, the switch will be flipped and we'll get very close to FSD but only limited by regulations and laws. Just my opinion, and i'm not a robot and no AI server farm made me write this....
There have been some recent posts, including by Mr Karpathy on Twitter, which might now be deleted, that Tesla uses the distributed computing capability of all the parked cars to run simulations. This is one advantage, where the customer buys hardware, but gives it back to Tesla for free when not using it, which is most of the time.

The Mothership you talk about might just be a relatively small setup that is coordinating calculations and simulations across all the parked Teslas.

With the most recent sightings of newly produced red Model 3 vehicles at the Fremont factory (link), does anybody think Model 3 production is currently below or above market expectations?
I belive Model 3 production ramp currently has the single biggest impact on Tesla financials for the next couple of quarters and earnings reports.
I could imagine that the recent SP volatility is a result of people taking positions according to their expectations of Model 3 production ramp.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeewee3000
There have been some recent posts, including by Mr Karpathy on Twitter, which might now be deleted, that Tesla uses the distributed computing capability of all the parked cars to run simulations. This is one advantage, where the customer buys hardware, but gives it back to Tesla for free when not using it, which is most of the time.

The Mothership you talk about might just be a relatively small setup that is coordinating calculations and simulations across all the parked Teslas.

Wouldn't this use up the battery packs of the parked cars in question? Customers would notice - and not like - leaving their car with a battery charge of 65% and getting back into their car at 60% charge...

With the most recent sightings of newly produced red Model 3 vehicles at the Fremont factory (link), does anybody think Model 3 production is currently below or above market expectations?
I belive Model 3 production ramp currently has the single biggest impact on Tesla financials for the next couple of quarters and earnings reports.
I could imagine that the recent SP volatility is a result of people taking positions according to their expectations of Model 3 production ramp.

Model 3 ramp is indeed the biggest influence in Tesla financials in the short to medium term. Given the little amount of stories/pictures/video of new Model 3's online, I'd say deliveries are below market expectations. This would imply lagging production, but for all we know there are plenty of M3's at 99% completion waiting to be delivered this september.

Model 3 ramp is indeed the biggest influence in Tesla financials in the short to medium term. Given the little amount of stories/pictures/video of new Model 3's online, I'd say deliveries are below market expectations. This would imply lagging production, but for all we know there are plenty of M3's at 99% completion waiting to be delivered this september.
I do share your impressions of too few Model 3 sightings.

Reactions: replicant
I do share your impressions of too few Model 3 sightings.

My 2c
Since Aug batch has just 100 cars, my take is that all will be delivered at end of month.(more time to tune etc etc.)
Sept production rate is 1500, so if Tesla does not want to hold on to inventory - I think they will need to change to per week schedule ..
.Could still be batched at end of month, but at least we should see/hear about more M3 by Sept 1st .. if things are going according to plan.
..Based on the above, we should know very soon ....

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Unfortunately, I still do not see any currently existing competition, all your links and quotes are about future product releases. For years and years we keep hearing about this competition, and the goal post keep moving further into the future...

Do you still buy into all this hype and PPT products ? Tesla has an AutoPilot system on the road in many thousands of cars in the hands of customers. I have seen a DrivePilot system from Mercedes that is pathetic in comparison and consumers simply don't use it because it is useless. Apart from that I can only see press releases and promises about the future. Wasn't it you who said we should stop believing in Elon Musk's stories about future products ?!?! Why don't you follow your own advice when it comes to the competitors ?

It is really rare that i share the opinion of "myusername" but i think (as i have posted on the dedicated thread) there is real competition around NOW.

From S-Class Drive Pilot vs Tesla AP :
Just to chime in on the general theme of Tesla Autopilot V1 vs other offerings:

I believe most of us die hard Tesla fans are not aware of the progress other automakers are achieving.

When AP1 first got released (i forgot exactly when, 2015 MS85D here) i was amazed, since i never would have expected to receive, overnight, a car with these capabilities. In the first year i got the impression, that there was a learning curve, from drunk driver to an insecure new driver (so to speak). Later (maybe in the wake of dumping Mobileye) i havn't had the impression AP1 was evolving drastically, as i have expected due to the talk about fleet learning and such.

Here's why: I drive the same 140k route from my home to a lake, always the same route, maybe 30 times a year. AP1 has the same bugs each and every time: Breaking in a tunnel where nothing is (no car, no obstacle whatsoever), wanting to take one particular of ramp instead of going straight. Since I love the car I still use AP1 as often as possible, but disengage before said places, sometimes I try anyway...It's annoying but as a fan, I can live with it.

Now: Since this spring we have as a towing vehicle a new Volvo XC90 with Pilot Assist 2, and guess what: It handles the said route without any flaw at all. I now have 5'000km on it with maybe 80% PA2 engaged, mostly highways and i have to say, the experience is much better than AP2 from Tesla.

A nice feature is also, that you can nudge the car to the side within a lane, without PilotAssist disengaging completely, it just lets you steer, comes on again, when you let it. I love this feature. This also means you can drive a roundabout and continue on PilotAssist without re-engaging the thing. Something i find annoying with Teslas AP1.

Conclusion: I hope Tesla will soon follow up on the promises made (AP2, FSD etc.). And i would advise everybody inclined to think that Tesla is years ahead of any competition, and eventually bases his investments decision on that, to go drive what the competition (Volvo / Mercedes) has to offer.

Disclaimer: I am firmly convinced, that Tesla is years ahead of any competition, but because of their strategy to go full electric, secret master plan etc. and not Driver Assisting features, FSD, or AP 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.