Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the Gigafactory? Tesla Energy? Ability to provide a turnkey solution from generation to storage to consumption?

To this point I would suggest that the most significant move Tesla could make to 'maintain' their sizable lead in the near-term (next 5 years IMO) is to break ground on the next Gigafactory.....hopefully Gigafactories.....very soon. Still hoping to hear news of plans that will put shovels into action this year as promised. Those are very large and strategic nails in the coffin of the existing paradigm.

I do believe the competitors are catching up... slowly. Tesla had easily a 10 year lead with the Roadster, a 7 year lead with the S, and is probably down to a 2 or 3 year lead with the Model 3. That said, this has given them what is certainly a 5+ year lead with the Superchargers, and a brand name lead which can't be beat.

The semi may be only a 3 year lead; I'm not sure.
It's tough to say, really. I honestly can't say any manufacturer has even entered the race until they speak to massive battery production and charging infrastructure. Putting out a compliance car means next to nothing to me. Putting out press releases and car show prototypes mean literally nothing to me. Show me an actionable plan to actually produce EVs at a massive scale. Start working toward that goal.

I still have yet to see a car company throw down the gauntlet and declare war on Tesla - to beat them at their own game, produce even more EVs, source more cheaper batteries than Tesla and create an even better charging network. Once I see that announcement and actual progress toward those goals, I'll consider there to be competition starting.

Once there's an actual competition going, the questions turns to - 1. how far behind are these real competitors? and 2. how are they going to catch up?

2 is critical to me. Can you even imagine another car company being able to out-innovate Tesla and work harder than they do? They have a money advantage and little else. If they start 5 years behind (for the sake of argument), how do they accelerate faster than Tesla to close the gap? They need the engineering talent and have to work harder than Tesla. Then they have to be willing to accept MASSIVE risk, more than Elon is willing to bear. Good luck with that.

To this point I would suggest that the most significant move Tesla could make to 'maintain' their sizable lead in the near-term (next 5 years IMO) is to break ground on the next Gigafactory.....hopefully Gigafactories.....very soon. Still hoping to hear news of that plans will put shovels into action this year as promised. Those are very large and strategic nails in the coffin of the existing paradigm.
Yeah more capital investment for the bears to paint as losing money.

If we close green today. Game over.
I don't get it.

Short sellers act like weak holders and can sell enough to trigger a price drop and recover shares at the new lower price.

There has to be a lot of new money coming in to effect a short squeeze steep rise.

Is there enough new money to do that right now?

Just trying to understand.

A bit of a short covering rally me thinks. Hope to see a couple of days stacked together before I feel like its more then that. I certainly thing the miss on TM3 was overblown so I cant say that I did not expect this dip to be anything more then a couple day thing, but this performance points to short covering rally to me. There are a lot of very underwater shorts who need every chance to bail. The problem is that they never learn and they are back when the stock starts to move up again. Gotta love em.. its days like this that they bail us out.

It's tough to say, really. I honestly can't say any manufacturer has even entered the race until they speak to massive battery production and charging infrastructure. Putting out a compliance car means next to nothing to me. Putting out press releases and car show prototypes mean literally nothing to me. Show me an actionable plan to actually produce EVs at a massive scale. Start working toward that goal.

I still have yet to see a car company throw down the gauntlet and declare war on Tesla - to beat them at their own game, produce even more EVs, source more cheaper batteries than Tesla and create an even better charging network. Once I see that announcement and actual progress toward those goals, I'll consider there to be competition starting.
BYD?

Once there's an actual competition going, the questions turns to - 1. how far behind are these real competitors? and 2. how are they going to catch up?

2 is critical to me. Can you even imagine another car company being able to out-innovate Tesla and work harder than they do? They have a money advantage and little else. If they start 5 years behind (for the sake of argument), how do they accelerate faster than Tesla to close the gap? They need the engineering talent and have to work harder than Tesla. Then they have to be willing to accept MASSIVE risk, more than Elon is willing to bear. Good luck with that.

I think BYD has the right attitude to try to catch up, but they are clearly several years behind Tesla. Geely is taking a weird strategy but I think of them as a real competitor who might be able to catch up, but again, at least 3 years behind Tesla.

GM, honestly, is almost ready to start competing. Just needs a battery factory and a charging network. Maybe a couple more years... maybe not.
Audi swears they're going to start competing: I don't know whether to believe them or not, but *if they're telling the truth*, they're still 3 years behind.

Anyway, the way I look at it, *someone* will emerge as a major competitor. Since everyone is *at minimum* 2 years behind right now, however, Tesla has a large advantage.

And here's the important bit: even if there are *three* major competitors this still doesn't hurt Tesla for *years* because all of the competitors are taking market share from ICE cars, not from each other. Tesla can only expand production so fast: Tesla probably can't take more than 20% of the ICE market share until roughly 2025, so Tesla sales will be untouched by as many as three serious competitors until then. (Unless Tesla figures out how to expand faster, which would of course give Tesla a larger lead.)

Before we started tracking registered VINs, my expectation was 250 delivered.

VIN counting encourages inexperienced investors to play games. They think they have some edge on the market and so move with a false sense of confidence. Many burnt investors come to mistrust management and leave the stock. Any hype that induces volatility and leads investors to disappointment (based on false expectations) ultimately hurts the valuation Tesla receives in the market. So I would rather error on the side of cultivating modest expectations and be positively surprise than to burn out investors with hype. So don't say this is harmless to investors. Every investor that is driven away from the stock based on hype and the risks that follow hype is a decline in the sustainable market valuation of the company.

Moreover, hype fuels the shorts. Every ounce of hype we put out there will be used to pound the stock price back down. So if you don't like playing whack-a-mole with the shorts, don't be the mole who pops up with hype. Keep a low profile and give Tesla time to deliver solid results. Ultimately it is solid results posted from Tesla that will defeat the shorts. Hype feeds the shorts.[/QUOT

Yeah more capital investment for the bears to paint as losing money.

Hopefully some of those bears just got trapped when we just went green. Tesla stock is a metaphor for the struggle between Greed vs. Investing in a Sustainable Future for Our Planet. Anything that feeds and subsequently traps those willing to short a more sustainable future is fine by me. So I am hoping Tesla announces up through GF 5 this year as discussed. Greed will jump in with both feet to short the planet..........and lose. With over 13,250,000 followers on Twitter now, I can't imagine it would take longer than a day for Elon to Crowdfund the next 3 Gigafactories. I am personally convinced that any delay in rollout of GF plans is not due to lack of outside investment interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.