Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Jan19 400 calls a few days ago and got hit with a regulation t call, and my broker liquidating some of my shares. Overall, I lost 210 of my shares in exchange for 10 call options.

I'm actually using less margin now and I'm more exposed to TSLA. Previously, I only held stock. Once it returns to ATH, assuming the price of the option will also return to a similar point as before, I'll be up 10% higher than last time it hit the ATH thanks to those options. It's an interesting, and rather beneficial trade, but I can't help but be a little annoyed that I'm only ~150% into TSLA now.

I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't convert all of my shares into call options, does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't?
TIL... http://www.nasdaq.com/investing/glossary/r/regulation-t-calls

You have some major cojones my friend. Mad respect. I had one... I repeat... ONE weekly 350C for this Friday. I was scared into selling it at a loss this morning. :oops::confused::mad:

BUT... the silver lining is I don't mess with my DITM and DOTM LEAPs, and I don't mess with my core shares. And I don't use margin (famous last words). Obsessively tracking short term option chains keeps me from doing something majorly dumb. At least that's what I tell myself. :)
tried to buy more just now but lost my nerve
could not pull the trigger
will stay with 42 shares plus 89 calls
no more TSLA for me
will hold current position untouched

You have some major cojones my friend. Mad respect. I had one... I repeat... ONE weekly 350C for this Friday. I was scared into selling it at a loss this morning. :oops::confused::mad:

BUT... the silver lining is I don't mess with my DITM and DOTM LEAPs, and I don't mess with my core shares. And I don't use margin (famous last words). Obsessively tracking short term option chains keeps me from doing something majorly dumb. At least that's what I tell myself. :)

I managed to talk myself out of selling my one big 350C. I've convinced myself the money is already gone, and what ever I get on Friday is what I get. We'll see if I can stay strong if tomorrow is another green day. :)

Damn! Ended right on the 6s just as I predicted!
upload_2017-10-3_16-18-6.png

Oh, wait.

Nomura/Instinet initiates coverage on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) with a Buy rating and a price target of $500.00.

Analyst Romit Shah forecasts "unprecedented" revenue gains for the company ($8 billion in 2016 to $58 billion in 2021). The analyst believes the company has "an insurmountable lead in vehicle range per dollar", benefits from largely inferior competitive field which should drive growth at current levels, will work through Model 3 production problems, and generate upwards of mid-to-high 20% GMs by 2020.

The PT is based on 2.1x 2021 estimated sales.

@myusername any comments?

More than that. They're betting heavily that TSLA will rise significantly from its current price before Friday. They didn't want to pay much of a premium though (this is why they chose more in-the-money calls). If the price drops below $305/$310 they lose the *entire* $6 million; if it is somwhere between there and the current price, they just lose some of it.

The possible relevance is that someone appears to be betting on the deliveries report being a large surprise to the upside.

They may have inside information or they may just have really good information or they may just be a really big gambler (and possibly an idiot) or they may be a billionaire for whom $6 million is pocket change. Who knows.

----
However, as noted, it could be a hedge. If it's a hedge it would be a short-seller trying to lock in an exit price *in case* the deliveries report is a huge positive upside. This would imply someone who has short sold 171,900 shares, which is a truly enormous number of shares to short-sell... that would imply a $58 million exposure... but I guess with shorting of $10 billion, there have to be some people with very large short positions...

Looks like somebody got this really short-term upside prediction right. At this point, with the Tesla Semi and Q3 ER coming up, I am incredibly bullish for both short and long-term trends. 5 ma crossing 10 ma soon. Enjoy the ride up to 380-400 by end of month.

Just in case... I got VIX calls as a hedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.