Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S 90D Supercharging Weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

New to the forum, but was wondering if anybody has experienced weird supercharging where it oscillates between ranges.

This past weekend my supercharging was terrible as it bounced between. 0kw and 40kw. I tried 4 different chargers and I was the only car charging. I've contacted the Tesla ranger to see if he can see anything weird in the logs.

What's weird...is a month and a half ago...my charge speed peaked at 130kw...and leveled off around 90kw. Since then it dropped to 50-70kw, and the past few times around 30-50 kw.

Hoping more experienced Tesla owners might be able to add some insight.

What's the best way to post a video? It says 20mb is too big.

Thanks in advance.

J

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Hi there,

New to the forum, but was wondering if anybody has experienced weird supercharging where it oscillates between ranges.

This past weekend my supercharging was terrible as it bounced between. 0kw and 40kw. I tried 4 different chargers and I was the only car charging. I've contacted the Tesla ranger to see if he can see anything weird in the logs.

What's weird...is a month and a half ago...my charge speed peaked at 130kw...and leveled off around 90kw. Since then it dropped to 50-70kw, and the past few times around 30-50 kw.

Hoping more experienced Tesla owners might be able to add some insight.

What's the best way to post a video? It says 20mb is too big.

Thanks in advance.

J

Any chance your range dropped a lot as well? What software version are you on?

I had the exact same issue happen to me two days ago at the Westminster, CA supercharger it kept going up and down.

It would get up to about 35kwh hold for a bit then just drop out and start over. I was at about 36% SOC and it took over an hour to get up to 80%. Luckily there is a target nearby so I just went and walked around.

It was the first time over ever experienced that before. Didn’t change stations because by the time I realized the problem it was pretty full. I can’t say much about degradation of the battery (about 6,500 miles on the car). But I have a 75d if that makes any difference.

Found this post because I was trying to see if there was any other info on this exact issue. I never called Tesla, if it happens again when I supercharge I will definitely note it here and probably place a call with Tesla.

I'm on software 2019.24.4 73fb1ab according to my Tesla app on my phone. I don't think my range has dropped to be honest - but I haven't really monitored it. I'm contemplating getting a ODB2 for the model S, so I can keep track of things like that.

I spoke with a coworker who has a Model 3, to see if he had experienced anything similar. He mentioned while charging, someone had mentioned the fluctuations in charging I had experienced on day I had charged.

That said - I went back to our local Supercharger a couple days later and my car peaked at 120KW, and slowly tapered down to around 60KW near the end of the charge. This suggests the problem is not with the car. My one suspicion is that they are throttling the chargers at certain times (eg afterhours). I've seen poor charging behavior usually around (1pm - 2am). Unfortunately, there's no Tesla customer service to check the chargers at these times.