Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need a new FSD computer to get dashcam (your car was built before the Autopilot 2.5 computer, so your only choice is to get the Autopilot 3.0 (FSD) computer). That’ll give you dashcam even with mcu1/2. Autopilot computer is what matters.
You need to buy the FSD package to get this computer

• Disagree
Reactions: F@kegman
a 5/17 build has the needed cameras... all you need is the MCU2 update. MCU1 cannot handle dashcam. The cameras from 5/17 have a bit of distorted color compared to the newer cameras, but the dashcam works just fine. Look up the MCU2 upgrade thread for pictures and details from folks that updated to MCU2.. btw: dashcam has nothing to do with autopilot hardware. Some folks now have HW3 and MCU1 and still no dashcam

• Disagree
a 5/17 build has the needed cameras... all you need is the MCU2 update. MCU1 cannot handle dashcam. The cameras from 5/17 have a bit of distorted color compared to the newer cameras, but the dashcam works just fine. Look up the MCU2 upgrade thread for pictures and details from folks that updated to MCU2.. btw: dashcam has nothing to do with autopilot hardware. Some folks now have HW3 and MCU1 and still no dashcam
There are lots of MCU1 / HW2.5 cars with dashcam functionality from the factory. It works just fine with MCU1 but needs HW 2.5+.

You are entirely wrong. I’m one of the few on this board that has retrofit their own mcu2 and FSD computer into their car DIY. I know what I’m saying.

And to be even more precise, dashcam works with mcu1, but mcu2 adds the backup camera recording support for dashcam

This is correct. I had a 2017 MS with MCU1 and HW2.5 and had the dashcam functionality. I did not have the rear camera but two side cameras and front. While the onboard viewer was a bit hard for the MCU to handle (as with anything, had lots of lag between button pressing and actually response), taking the events to my laptop and viewing them there worked just fine.

Now I have MCU2 and HW3 after upgrading and the onboard viewer is much more usable and I also have access to the rear camera view.