Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a surprising phone call from Tesla today.

I ordered a Model X last week and was scheduled to have the order confirmed today. I was unofficially told by a rep that I should expect March delivery.

Today they offered to give me a 2017 VIN if I completed the financials by the end of the year. In turn I could expect direct delivery at my house in early January. Additionally I would be eligible to claim the $7500 rebate in 2016.

I assume that their motivation is to count my order for fourth quarter, but I never imagined seeing it get turned around this fast. Is this too good to be true?

Tax credit must be taken in the year that the car is put into service. Not if you take delivery in 2017. It is tax fraud if you do what you say above.

Tax credit must be taken in the year that the car is put into service. Not if you take delivery in 2017. It is tax fraud if you do what you say above.

Why would Tesla say we can file 2016 if we close all paper work by end of this year? I don't really care when I get the federal credit, I just want my car to be 2017, and arrive here asap.

Mine VIN got updated to 2017, I am guessing they have finished all 2016 production this year, and now getting into 2017 orders before they close for the holidays.

Why would Tesla say we can file 2016 if we close all paper work by end of this year? I don't really care when I get the federal credit, I just want my car to be 2017, and arrive here asap.

Mine VIN got updated to 2017, I am guessing they have finished all 2016 production this year, and now getting into 2017 orders before they close for the holidays.

Talk to a CPA about legality issues, but the IRS form is clear. Tesla can say what they want but trust the IRS more. Paper work and payment done in 2016 means they can add the sale and revenue to Q4.

So NOT illegal to take delivery and get credit in 2016 for a 2017 titled car..just to take credit in 2016 but not get your car until 2017...doesn't matter about when you do paperwork or pay
Correct. They did that last year with giving people 2016 Vin numbers if they would take delivery of deferred orders back in Dec 2015. Then buyers could take the ITC on 2015 taxes.

*technically* if you get titled in 2016, you can take the tax credit:

07 Acquired. A vehicle is not “acquired” before the date on which title to that vehicle passes under state law.

But as I've said before, I would NEVER pay for a car before I can inspect it. This is for leverage and avoiding liability. If a meteor hits the car in the lot while it's waiting for you to pick it up, it's your problem. OK, meteor is not going to happen, but plenty of other things could. But it's your car, not Tesla's at that point. They would be in their rights to just shrug and say 'oh well'. And they might not even get you the car when they're telling you, unless you've got a date in writing.

On top of that, even Elon sent an email out stating that they want to KNOW if a user got their car in 2016, as he considers the title transfer irrelevant. That of course makes me wonder why they are trying to do this.

You can read the letter I mention here:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/781264006145335297/photo

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Order confirmed on November 10th. I work in Fremont a few miles away from Tesla. I had the chance of a December delivery but wanted a 2017 VIN so I asked them for a February delivery so since I got a 2017 VIN I want it asap haha

I also wanted a 2017 VIN and asked for Feb delivery. But that was also to make sure they weren't going to build the car in some mad end-of-quarter rush. So even if they do call me I will them no thanks.

Guys, those who requested a 2017 VIN, please double / triple check with your OA and get a written commitment on that.

My OA screwed up my order. From day 1, I had requested a 2017 VIN and he assured it would be the case. After I confirmed my order, I got a 2016 VIN. I again followed up with my OA and he said that he has requested a 2017 VIN and acknowledged that the website may not be updated. Then, few days back, I got an email stating that my Tesla is in production. When I emailed both the OA and DS, he said that the request was in but they couldn't do it since it was too "late" (a complete lie because I had asked him to put in a 2017 VIN build date before my order was even confirmed!!!).

Now I am stuck with a 2016 model or losing my $2500 deposit. I am disappointed more so because of the way my case was handled. I kinda felt it was a sleazy move on their part since they wanted to sell the car this year to boost Q4 numbers. I have all records of email communication and am thinking of escalating.

Anyone know of a good Tesla email address to provide my feedback on their poor customer service? I really don't have any hopes of my OA making things right for me.

I'll be watching this thread. My OA and DS were very efficient and thus my problem. I have a 2016 Vin but my build slot is currently in 2017. I'm pushing every button to get car in 2016 but I hope if it will be made in 2017...the Vin will reflect that. Still I wonder what can be done about your predicament. As for Tesla service, so far I have known none better.

Ordered 11/16
Confirmed 11/17
Asked to hold on delivery until I found out my availability on 11/19...

Asked for ASAP delivery 11/21. Tesla said I was too late for 2016, confirmed 2 days ago their statement " ...all slots filled for this year..."

That's OK although i really needed it in 2016, I hope Vin is updated if made in 2017.