Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this morning I got an email from my DS with a VIN number, and an expected delivery date moved up to "Late July-MidAugust"

But last evening I was contacted by Tesla who advised a similar build was available immediately. T he difference was the mileage on the car, and the lack of a High Amp Charger. The representative also advised they would give me free express shipping, and add a one year maintenance plan, I said I would mull it over, but that I was flexible on color if it made a difference.

I got an email, and at 2550 miles, I was a little hesitant about the inventory car, despite the significant discount. I also plan to travel some, and the High Amp Charger was important to me as many destination chargers can do 80 amps. I was just on vacation last week, and had I had the Tesla, the destination charger there was indeed a High Amp charger.

I emailed back this morning, and very quickly got three more inventory options, all with the ubiquitous "50 Miles" listed. They were all more than my build, due to paint and other options. After some back and forth, I was offered a vehicle that had a tow package (mine did not) and deep blue metallic paint (mine had been solid black) for the same price as my build. Or I cold get the same discount on two other vehicles, but they were several thousand more to start. After mulling it over, and of course getting the WAF resolved, I opted for the blue for the same price. It will be delivered in early July according to the rep.

My head is still spinning. Fortunately, I had my financing already lined up, and a check ready from my bank!

Reactions: NikeWings
So this morning I got an email from my DS with a VIN number, and an expected delivery date moved up to "Late July-MidAugust"

But last evening I was contacted by Tesla who advised a similar build was available immediately. T he difference was the mileage on the car, and the lack of a High Amp Charger. The representative also advised they would give me free express shipping, and add a one year maintenance plan, I said I would mull it over, but that I was flexible on color if it made a difference.

I got an email, and at 2550 miles, I was a little hesitant about the inventory car, despite the significant discount. I also plan to travel some, and the High Amp Charger was important to me as many destination chargers can do 80 amps. I was just on vacation last week, and had I had the Tesla, the destination charger there was indeed a High Amp charger.

I emailed back this morning, and very quickly got three more inventory options, all with the ubiquitous "50 Miles" listed. They were all more than my build, due to paint and other options. After some back and forth, I was offered a vehicle that had a tow package (mine did not) and deep blue metallic paint (mine had been solid black) for the same price as my build. Or I cold get the same discount on two other vehicles, but they were several thousand more to start. After mulling it over, and of course getting the WAF resolved, I opted for the blue for the same price. It will be delivered in early July according to the rep.

My head is still spinning. Fortunately, I had my financing already lined up, and a check ready from my bank!

Forgot to add I still got the 1st maintenance included. Apparently End of Quarter push is real...

Picked up the car yesterday. Another great experience. The X was as near perfect as can be expected for this stage of Tesla's manufacturing experience. Gaps and panels are still uneven at places but up to my expectations since my delivery of my S last year. I had them note two items for possible correction. 1. The plastic piece between the front windshield and the FWD's is about 1 mm lower than the windshield. They agreed it was beyond expected tolerance and wants to order a new piece and replace. 2. The front passenger door is askew slightly such that the door "handles" don't like up perfectly. The driver's side are perfect. The tech noted the FWD door alignment was correct but it was the front passenger door and showed me how he knew because the gap between the door and the front quarter panel were not even along the joint between the door and the panel. I was especially looking for the handles to line up as I've seen so many early models with really bad alignments. Personally I think they should do away with the "handles' as they are simply buttons. They could just make a part of the door touch sensitive or make the entire door capacitive touch enabled. 3. There's a wrinkle in one of the second row multi-pattern seats. They want to try to steam it out and take it from there.

I went through the entire car carefully and referenced the checklist on this forum. I didn't see any scratches, dents or paint imperfections except a super tiny dark spot on the right edge of the spoiler (car is white). Nothing you would normally notice except if you were really looking.

Overall, another great experience. The biggest surprise is that they no longer offer a swag bag. At least not at the Dallas service/delivery center. It was never anything great in the first place, an umbrella and a mug but it was the gesture that was nice. Especially since this time the X was for my wife and she appreciates those things. I'm don't know what other manufacturers of $100K+ cars do during delivery as we've never bought a car in this price range in the past.

Driving wise, the X 100D felt a lot heavier than my S 75D. It also felt like the accelerator and motor had a bit more friction. I don't know how else to explain it. Almost like a traditional motor cylinders being too tight until it breaks in. Could also just be just my imagination. Car started with less than 10 miles and I drove it for less than 40 so too early to really compare.

Reactions: DarrenK and DIL
MX 100D
Red
6 Seat
White seats
Premium sound
Subzero
Towing package

VIN: 55XXX

Ordered: 5/30
Confirmed: 6/2
Estimated production: 6/19
Estimated delivery: 6/28

I've been emailing my DS quite a bit to try to figure out delivery timeline. Response times from Tesla reps seem to be 1-2 days. Getting super excited. Thank you to everyone for posting timelines.

In Production: 6/13
In Transit: 6/24
Estimated Delivery Range: June 30, 2017 - July 7, 2017 (via MyTesla)
Scheduled delivery: 6/28 (via DS)

Fingers crossed that delivery happens before July 1st as I have a cross country trip scheduled that I really want auto-pilot for.

Ordered Model X May 19
Estimated Delivery: June 24, 2017. East Coast. I was told Tesla will try to have as many cars delivered by end of month so as to make their Q2 numbers look as good as possible.

Just an update: I got mine delivered June 24. The Tesla folks were very friendly. I did not go over the checklist provided in this forum because i had limited time. As to fit, no creaking. Panel alignment looks good. It has not rained yet, so not sure how the seals are. I am going to wax the car this weekend so I'll have a better chance to check out fit/finish.

I did not anticipate all the added attention from this car. At all. I took it to a bbq and some woman I had never met before asked to drive it. (I pretended I did not hear her). My mom got a kick out of the no-engine quietness.

Completed production on Wednesday, at which point they updated and narrowed the delivery timeframe to June 24th to July 1.

Yesterday they offered delivery on Sunday the 25th, which we accepted.

We took delivery yesterday and am pretty happy (within our tempered expectations). It was clear they're in an end-of-quarter rush. All the staff was very polite and professional, but you could tell they were under pressure

We expected there would be a SC visit to tidy up minor loose ends a short time after we took delivery. So long as issues were minor, then we were going to accept delivery. Car had issues within that range of expectations.

Both FWD's could be better aligned but nothing drastic. Seals around the FWD had small spots that could fit slightly better. I think the driver front side window may need a little adjustment to remedy wind noise that's slightly worse than the passenger side. The floor for the 3rd row seats seems a little loose. Front tires/wheels have a slight vibration over 80mph that probably just need a re-balancing.

That's the extent of it. Nothing that was a deal breaker, mostly stuff that we could probably live with but will get rectified.

AP was calibrated within 50 miles after taking delivery and FW is on 17.24.28.

Just an update: I got mine delivered June 24. The Tesla folks were very friendly. I did not go over the checklist provided in this forum because i had limited time. As to fit, no creaking. Panel alignment looks good. It has not rained yet, so not sure how the seals are. I am going to wax the car this weekend so I'll have a better chance to check out fit/finish.

I did not anticipate all the added attention from this car. At all. I took it to a bbq and some woman I had never met before asked to drive it. (I pretended I did not hear her). My mom got a kick out of the no-engine quietness.

Good point, ninefiveone. My AP was calibrated around 75 miles after taking delivery and FW is on 17.24.28.

Completed the financial parts of the transaction, but the car is still sitting in Stockton, CA. I am concerned that the "Express" part of Express delivery may be a misnomer. My Tesla used to say delivery between June 23 - July 7 (got that notice on June 24!) but now says nothing, and I have a feeling there is going to be a delay. They sold too many cars at the end of the quarter to ship them all efficiently.

On the other hand, picked up a CHAdeMo adapter while I was at the SC today. They only had two left and as I arrived I saw someone else walking out with one. (So I guess they had three earlier today, now they have one) It was also indicated to me that the local supply was currently very thin, if not non-existent, so I jumped on bought one of the last two, as there is a free CHAdeMo charging station six blocks or so from my house. I was surprised because the Service Advisor told me the parts guy wanted to make sure I had high speed charging on my car. Both he and the parts guy seemed unaware that the high speed 72 amp charging is an AC function, whereas CHAdeMo is a DC charging function. The requirement that the parts guy saw in the computer is that supercharging must be activated to us CHAdeMo, or else it is a 1900 fee for a software change, in addition to the cost of the adapter. I was kinda surprised that both the Service Advisor and Parts guy got this wrong.

Got an email this morning saying the status of the car is "In Transit". I'm not sure what that means, as yesterday my DS indicated that Tesla needed to get the car off their lot (at the Factory/Stockton Hub) to count the sale by the end of the quarter. He said yesterday that the shipper might pick it up, but it could sit. I'd email him, but he mentioned having 218 emails yesterday due to the end of quarter push.

Got an email this morning saying the status of the car is "In Transit". I'm not sure what that means, as yesterday my DS indicated that Tesla needed to get the car off their lot (at the Factory/Stockton Hub) to count the sale by the end of the quarter. He said yesterday that the shipper might pick it up, but it could sit. I'd email him, but he mentioned having 218 emails yesterday due to the end of quarter push.
I got that email last Thursday, but my car wasn't in transit until Sunday evening. I think that email just means the car is done and is ready to be loaded

I got that email last Thursday, but my car wasn't in transit until Sunday evening. I think that email just means the car is done and is ready to be loaded
Well, I do know it has to physically leave their premises by tomorrow for it to be considered out of Tesla's possession and have it count as a second quarter sale. But the DS did say the shipper could hang on to it in CA until they have enough cars to ship east.

Well, I do know it has to physically leave their premises by tomorrow for it to be considered out of Tesla's possession and have it count as a second quarter sale. But the DS did say the shipper could hang on to it in CA until they have enough cars to ship east.
It has to be officially delivered to customer (paperwork signed) for it to be counted against 2nd quarter sales. Tesla makes a big deal to note this at almost every earnings call.

Good news, my X is practically perfect. One small driver side window issue with the rubber trim (pinches weird at the top of the front lower corner). Also, NO GHOSTING! The loaner I had displayed nightime ghosting, I can say my windshield displays zero as I just finished putting 80mi on her.

One bad thing though, against my better judgement, I turned the auto garage open/close to on. As I pulled into my garage, the door started closing automatically before i was in all the way. Hit the spoiler and stopped, no major damage just a few clear coat scratches. Argh!

In hindsight, wonder if we should have avoided the qtr end rush. Took delivery Friday, DS called me prior to appointment to advise that the trunk at the lip had some dents from the transport. Noted some misaligned panels and one FWD that sits higher than the other side. At first they wanted to finalize the sale and arrange to have the repair done later at the official body shop. They are minor but visible with the rear badge damaged.Told them to get those fixed first along with the other panel alignment issues and they arranged to give us a loaner model x. Won't know until Mon from the shop on how long it will take. They really need to stop this quarter end circus. Enjoying the loaner which is a similiar 6 seat 74D but different ext. color.