Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 X 100D. What is a degradation level that will trigger a battery replacement ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI all,

2017 100D here, with 105k miles. I am seeing a consistency 15%, sporadicly worse degradation. Anyone know what is the level at which Tesla will consider a battary exchange ? I would love getting this changed while I am under warranty :)

I think current warranty contracts talks about 30%, but mine has no threshold. So looking for some experience. Is there a threshold that triggers warranty or is it depedant on error messages showing up (I have none of that) ?

...I think current warranty contracts talks about 30%, but mine has no threshold...Is there a threshold that triggers warranty or is it depedant on error messages showing up (I have none of that) ?
More recently built cars with 30% thresholds also have 100k to 150k mile limits on the warranty. Your car, and mine have no threshold but do have unlimited mile warranties for 8 years.

@Marcboy I have never heard of any battery getting replaced due to degradation. The HV battery does get replaced for some, but it is due to other failure mechanisms, not battery degradation. I have always thought the 30% degradation number given by Tesla on newer cars is somewhat a red herring - they set a number that they know will never be a problem within the warranty period.

I am also not sure why you would like a battery replaced under warranty. My understanding is that if it is a warranty replacement it is not guaranteed to have any more capacity than the degraded capacity before the battery failed.

I'm feeling out my range and level of degradation, just bought my S with 82,000 miles. I first thought maybe 12% or so, after some longer drives I'm thinking more like 15%. While I certainly wish I had a bit more range (don't we all) I have done enough reading to know there's no way the battery is being replaced under warranty, nor would I expect it to be. I knew what I was getting into buying with these miles on it.

HI all, 2017 100D here, with 105k miles. I am seeing a consistency 15%, sporadicly worse degradation. Anyone know what is the level at which Tesla will consider a battary exchange ? I would love getting this changed while I am under warranty :)

I think current warranty contracts talks about 30%, but mine has no threshold. So looking for some experience. Is there a threshold that triggers warranty or is it depedant on error messages showing up (I have none of that) ?
Here is my 2017 X 100D with ~102K miles. You can see the fleet line and ~269 as the 100% fleet miles.

Neh10wX.jpeg