Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle displayed a release note after the update . Did you read it?
Mine said clearly it is for the trunk

Mine said the same thing but it is meaningless. The remote trunk opening capability already existed in the last release (10.2). When the major AP update came out on the MCU1 cars (10.4) there was no mention of it in their notice either. In fact, it looked a lot like the notice I got yesterday.

As I understand it, once you get the notification, software is already downloaded.
You just initiate the installation.
In fact once I left the service center and said I wasn’t going to be near Wi-Fi to download it.
They told me I didn’t require any Internet access because the update was in fact already downloaded.
I Initiated the installation in a parking lot and it completed the installation while I was playing golf.
I think they estimate a very high value to let you know that you won’t be able to drive the car for some period of time, so you won’t initiate it if you need to use the car sooner than the amount of time indicated.

This would make a lot of sense since the car is in and out of coverage. I assume that cars with spotty wifi/cell service might take days to actually download the program. The installation process timeframe would be consistent on nearly all cars once it was downloaded.

10.6 broke my navigation.

I had a stuck location, and also broke my FM radio.

Had to take it to service center where they tried to soft reset it for like 30 min.
The Tech then seemly annoyed at the new MCU did a hard reset, where he pulled the 12V battery and it fixed it.

The Tech seemed to note that the new MCU can not be soft resetted via steering wheel.

Here is the notes on the invoice....

tesla.jpg

Anyone with the New MCU can confirm that you can soft reset?

Had to take it to service center where they tried to soft reset it for like 30 min.
The Tech then seemly annoyed at the new MCU did a hard reset, where he pulled the 12V battery and it fixed it.

The Tech seemed to note that the new MCU can not be soft resetted via steering wheel.

tesla.jpg

I can't never reboot by holding the two scroll wheels . It just doesn't respond it.

tesla.jpg

I had this problem with original MCU about 4-5 times. Resetting the IC to the MCU (main screen) never solved the problems. When I called support they would have me POWER OFF the CAR and they sent a GPS Reset to my car. I then booted up and all good. Maybe just the POWER OFF/ON will solve it now.

I picked up my car on Thursday (3/29) and it had 10.6. The autopilot has been silky smooth. I was out today, made a stop to pick up coffee and when I got back in the car the FM radio stopped working. It was on but there was no sound. Changed stations and each one displayed current song playing but no sound. Streaming still works fine. I did a soft reset using the scroll wheels several time to reboot. No improvement. I called Tesla but was on hold for several minutes and hung up. I’ll try them again Monday if it’s still not working.

And to add to previous post, I’ve had no issues connecting to my wifi on either 5g or 2.4. I’m also able to use summon via the keyfob but have never been able to use it via the phone app. The app works great for everything else.

Have had the same issue twice now that the Navigation gets stuck in a location. Scroll wheel reset does nothing, I did a power off for several minutes did not resolve issue. Let the car sit overnight connected to WiFi still reading it is at old location. Drove the car around the block and it started working again. I'm on 10.6 but mine did this on 10.2? Car is two weeks old so I assume I'm on the new MCU.

Have had the same issue twice now that the Navigation gets stuck in a location. Scroll wheel reset does nothing, I did a power off for several minutes did not resolve issue. Let the car sit overnight connected to WiFi still reading it is at old location. Drove the car around the block and it started working again. I'm on 10.6 but mine did this on 10.2? Car is two weeks old so I assume I'm on the new MCU.

There is a fix for the scroll wheel reset issue:
Excerpt from my recent post:

“SC fixed the issue of not being able to reboot the MCU with the scroll wheels by doing something they called a “12 volt pull”
(They said any SC would know what that means) It worked! Apparently the latest firmware does not resolve this issue.”

Link to original post in context:
New MCU model issues, anyone?

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Found this website providing percent of fleet on which firmware. Interesting. I have 2018.10.6 b532133 in a 100D I took delivery of last Friday. There are only 11 cars with that version per the teslafi data.

The autopilot is a huge improvement over my prior AP1 Model S.

https://teslafi.com/firmware/

That's interesting. I wonder how accurate it is. I'm also running that version. According to TeslaFi I'm only 1 of 2 75D's that are on it.

#####
Edited to add it looks like this is data voluntarily added by owners.

That's interesting. I wonder how accurate it is. I'm also running that version. According to TeslaFi I'm only 1 of 2 75D's that are on it.

#####

The other thing you have to remember is that 2018.10.6 is only for S&Xs that come with the new Intel based MCU. (So produced in the last month.) So there aren't a lot of them out there yet.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515

#####

Agree - this is a limited sample - only of cars whose owners have paid to subscribe to the Teslifi data tracking website. This does not represent all Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I called Tesla this afternoon regarding my FM radio that stopped working a couple of days ago. He had me try the scroll-wheel reset with the car on but it would never reset. I also tried to reset the screen behind the steering wheel by holding the buttons above the scroll wheels but that didn’t work either. The only way I’ve been able to reset the screens is to have the car completely off and hold the scroll wheels for about 20 seconds. About 20-30 seconds after letting go of the buttons the main screen comes to life with the Tesla logo and gray screen. But, that doesn’t clear the FM radio problem. I will bring the car into the SC when I get some parts in that I had to order when I took delivery. It’s a 45 minute drive to the SC for me so I’ll just make a single trip, hopefully.

There is a fix for the scroll wheel reset issue:
Excerpt from my recent post:

“SC fixed the issue of not being able to reboot the MCU with the scroll wheels by doing something they called a “12 volt pull”
(They said any SC would know what that means) It worked! Apparently the latest firmware does not resolve this issue.”

I think what this refers to is disconnecting the 12volt battery up front. I'm going to try this to see if it will fix my no reset with the scroll wheel issue. My Navigation has been working fine since the last freeze up issue but if it returns I would like to be able to reset the screen rather than waiting 24 hours for it to fix itself. Will not be able to try for a couple of days the car is out on its first 4 day road trip.

I called Tesla this afternoon regarding my FM radio that stopped working a couple of days ago. He had me try the scroll-wheel reset with the car on but it would never reset. I also tried to reset the screen behind the steering wheel by holding the buttons above the scroll wheels but that didn’t work either. The only way I’ve been able to reset the screens is to have the car completely off and hold the scroll wheels for about 20 seconds. About 20-30 seconds after letting go of the buttons the main screen comes to life with the Tesla logo and gray screen. But, that doesn’t clear the FM radio problem. I will bring the car into the SC when I get some parts in that I had to order when I took delivery. It’s a 45 minute drive to the SC for me so I’ll just make a single trip, hopefully.

I think our cars came out of the same batch, mine has the same issue with reboot, my car is in service center now, it got updated to 2018.12 manually by the service guy, it is said that will resolve the reboot issue, but it didn't resolve my wifi issue.

I just got off the phone with Tesla support as I have not been able to connect to wifi. They said almost all the TMS manufactured after Feb 2018 have had this issue with the new MCU. The 2 scroll wheel reboot doesn't work on mine, and when I asked him if I had the latest Maps update he said he couldn't read anything related to the center console on my car, all related to the new Intel (instead of AMD) MCU. Said to wait for a new firmware upgrade or they may call me to visit the service center. No fix as of yet. Only had the car for 3 days - grrrr! Mine has 2018.10.6