Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, you will see that updates that have been installed on Model 3s have NOT been on S/X and vice versa. Pretty sure that means that they hard code the hardware differences between the two screens and kinds of cars.

-Randy
Oh I’m aware, some were speculating that they MIGHT start unifying the FW, so that the same version is sent to all cars, but your car only installed the relevant bits. Now I think that sending more data than necessary, so I can see a case for not doing that for sure. I’m just saying we don’t know anything either way till we see confirmation.

Once the codebase is converged (they were definitely separate in the past), it’s just a matter of setting build flags when you’re ready and you can output the same software for multiple target architectures or platforms. I do this regularly.

Today, I upgraded from 2017.50.13 to 2018.12. However, there was a message that said that the upgrade was unsuccessful. So, I may have a partial 2018.12.

I'm going to get on the freeway tomorrow to see if I can detect an improvement in the autopilot. The release notes mentioned items that have already been covered by others describing 2018.10 versions. The only surprise to me was the use of scroll wheels to change TACC and mirrors, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: RyanS
Today, I upgraded from 2017.50.13 to 2018.12. However, there was a message that said that the upgrade was unsuccessful. So, I may have a partial 2018.12.

I'm going to get on the freeway tomorrow to see if I can detect an improvement in the autopilot. The release notes mentioned items that have already been covered by others describing 2018.10 versions. The only surprise to me was the use of scroll wheels to change TACC and mirrors, etc.

I had the same thing happen to me with 10.5. Install appeared to go ok but it didn’t complete fully. I called Tesla service about it and the service rep I spoke to said that autopilot probably wouldn’t work until the update is successfully installed. This was in fact the case, autopilot was not available for me to select after the failed install. Tesla ended up pushing the 10.5 update to my Model 3 again and the second time around it did install completely and autopilot was restored. You should contact Tesla service and let them know what happened.

If you back up to post 475 in that thread, he is talking about his Model S. He is not describing the behavior of the Model 3 with 2018.10.5.

I have 2018.10.5 and the scroll wheel does not do that.
In post 475 he's talking about his Model 3.

I will let you guys know what I find out. I just finished my update & I now have the right scroll wheel for cruise speed & following distance. I haven't driven the car yet but I am about to & will jump back on here & confirm if the maps update was included! Super stoked by the scroll wheel update - can't wait to try it!

Are you talking about a Model S or a Model 3 @Robocheme ?

Are you talking about a Model S or a Model 3 @Robocheme ?

Yes, the update from 2017.50.13 to 2018.12 was on a Model 3. Note that I had been passed over on several updates and I had called Tesla to complain. Of course, they blamed it on cellular coverage even though I had received previous updates in December and January. I had made an appointment to have them look at it, but then I got the update that said that it had not been completed successfully. I think that I'll keep the appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
My car is in for service, so it might come back with the latest update since Tesla tends to push updates to cars in for service... HOWEVER that might not be the case this time seeing as it works for the S/X primarily because they connect to the Tesla Wi-Fi network at service, something which is currently disabled for the 3.

Are you sure? There are no settings to enable/connect to Wi-Fi on M3... If you're right though, thats better for me as I'll likely have the latest update when I get my baby back :)
It’s 100% correct, the model 3’s perceived lack of WiFi is due to the lack of a customer facing UI to enter networks. The service SSID is hard coded, though.

Connecting to the service center's wifi does not get you firmware updates. However, it is standard procedure for the tech to push the latest firmware to your vehicle during service. I even had a ranger push an update when they were at the house a few weeks ago which was downloaded over LTE.

Connecting to the service center's wifi does not get you firmware updates. However, it is standard procedure for the tech to push the latest firmware to your vehicle during service. I even had a ranger push an update when they were at the house a few weeks ago which was downloaded over LTE.
Oh cool, I didn't know - I've been told it had to do with the network, by Tesla themselves. Thanks for the clarification.