Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Leaf vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that's reality. While driving, I say, "Find me a restaurant on the Huntington Pier. If it's open, give me directions."

Now, on the more expensive models, it shows up in the HUD, cluster, and center display as well as audio. On the cheaper models, there in no HUD nav, just console and center screen.

Yeah, I have both a $100k GM car and a $30k GM car and they both work the same way as does the Bolt.

But, I think the point is different. It only works that way on a Bolt if you are in range of a cell signal. There is no onboard resident system, unlike every other GM car. If you are in a weak/absent cell area, which we border and travel through, you are on your own. I've discussed this with one of the Bolt engineers who I know near my Michigan home and they also wonder at the product planning decision which resulted in this unique outcome among their products.

You ask what tech is awe inspiring... First off Tesla cars are able to be software upgraded without having to take them to the dealer via cellular. Tesla is always tweaking and adding new features via software updates. Built in nav builds routs based on supercharger locations for cross country trips. I know you can use a app on your phone but Tesla has it built in. Auto Pilot is huge and no other companies self driving tech is as good as Tesla's and this will only get better via software updates. The other car I'm considering the Audi A4 has traffic jam assist which only works up to 40mph and can't be upgraded. Tesla's works up to 90mph...

Autopilot right now is a driver assistance package and not full self driving. I agree I wouldn't rely on it solely. I'm lucky around me roads are pretty well lined and I think it would work pretty well. That being said as I said above one of the biggest features with the Tesla is the ease of software updates auto pilot is one feature that is going to continue to improve. Keep in mind this is new tech it is going to have glitches.

Hopefully as these cars are mass produced they become cheaper to maintain. The door handles on the model 3 don't auto present like the model S so hopefully that means less to go wrong. Curious about the brake job you are talking about I looked up the pads for a 2015 model S and they cost $30 which is pretty cheap. People on the forums are saying they are getting lots of miles out of the brakes too because of the regenerative braking.

So navigation (including to SCN charging stations), TACC with high and low speed follow and the driver assistance package that will follow painted lines. Once car makers start offering side and rear (not when backing out of a parking spot) collision mitigation with steering, I'm all for that as long as we can turn things on or off. With self driving, I don't really have much inclination. I want electronic nannies that can help me avoid accidents not ones that will drive for me (not until majority of the cars on the road are autonomous) If one is exhausted or incapable of driving sober or attentively, one shouldn't be driving IMHO.

It was posted on TMC from a member in Toronto maybe almost a year ago. I don't have time to dig that up. I'm sure it's not just brake pads but something to do with the brake system.

But, I think the point is different. It only works that way on a Bolt if you are in range of a cell signal. There is no onboard resident system, unlike every other GM car. If you are in a weak/absent cell area, which we border and travel through, you are on your own. I've discussed this with one of the Bolt engineers who I know near my Michigan home and they also wonder at the product planning decision which resulted in this unique outcome among their products.

I haven't checked it yet, but since the directions are uploaded into the car from the latest available maps every time I use NAV (I don't have a portable cellphone when driving, it's sort of pointless unless you are a Pokemon/Facebook/Twitter addict) I assume it goes places where EVs cars cannot as long as it has GPS signal.

My cellphone is only 50% reliable at my house but my voice nav (not talking about the indash units) works excellent, both the telephone and directions.

Last edited:
So navigation (including to SCN charging stations), TACC with high and low speed follow and the driver assistance package that will follow painted lines. Once car makers start offering side and rear (not when backing out of a parking spot) collision mitigation with steering, I'm all for that as long as we can turn things on or off. With self driving, I don't really have much inclination. I want electronic nannies that can help me avoid accidents not ones that will drive for me (not until majority of the cars on the road are autonomous) If one is exhausted or incapable of driving sober or attentively, one shouldn't be driving IMHO.

It was posted on TMC from a member in Toronto maybe almost a year ago. I don't have time to dig that up. I'm sure it's not just brake pads but something to do with the brake system.

Auto Pilot takes TACC to the next levil the way I see it. I know it can already read signs so it knows the speed limit etc. Also the current version of auto pilot does require you to hold the steering wheel (yes I know people defeat this with water bottles...). To me what sets Tesla apart is the fact the system is always being updated. The car you buy today is going to be much better next year. The Audi (also a really nice car btw) is going to be the same next year. To improve the system in the Audi I will need to buy another Audi. As for full autonomous I will not trust it right away. As long as I can take control in an emergency I will be ok with it. I think in the near future it is going to be much safer then a human driving though. The car is always looking in every direction and it is going to see things drivers will miss. Are we there yet no but it is close. I don't know any other cars at the price point the 3 is at that have the hardware that is going to be able to support this.

Would be interesting to find out what happened to that guys brakes on the model S. Everything I have seen the brake pads seem to last a really long time and parts are standard. Tesla's use disc brakes and pads like conventional cars. They do also have a regenerative braking system too and maybe that is what the person had a problem with.

Reactions: internalaudit
How many cameras are operational on the 3 though? And even if it did have all eight fully functional, you think Tesla will have some sort of self-steering to avoid many other collisions besides rear ending someone?

I totally understand that AP seems like a cool feature and free OTA updates are nice to have but so far, all these semi-self-driving don't really interest me. I don't do a lot of long distance driving, maybe 90% of the time, at most an hour drive one way. I understand that for some of you who want to drive cross country, this AP could be of help to keep the car within the lane every so often.

Since this has shifted a bit to what Tesla offers that others don't, check this out. No, it's not available to the public yet, but all their AP 2.0+ cars are supposedly hardware equipped to be able to do this. If this doesn't impress you, I don't know what will :).

How many cameras are operational on the 3 though? And even if it did have all eight fully functional, you think Tesla will have some sort of self-steering to avoid many other collisions besides rear ending someone?

I totally understand that AP seems like a cool feature and free OTA updates are nice to have but so far, all these semi-self-driving don't really interest me. I don't do a lot of long distance driving, maybe 90% of the time, at most an hour drive one way. I understand that for some of you who want to drive cross country, this AP could be of help to keep the car within the lane every so often.

You have to keep in mind you are talking about a system that isn't completed yet. You are getting into something that is bleeding edge technology. Yes at some point I do expect Tesla will have all 8 cameras going. Yes Tesla is using the data from the other camera's to see hazards and read road signs. They have lots to work out with these systems though. For one how does the car handle a accident coming with a bike on one side and a driver crossing over lanes and coming head on? Lots of those kinds of issues and I do think once they have it all worked out the car will make a safer decision then a human driver will.

OTA updates are huge for self driving/ auto pilot features as Tesla can keep improving on these. Other cars you get what you get and the only way for them to get better is a new car. Personally I want to use auto pilot for stop and go traffic. I sit in it daily. Audi has traffic jam assist which is what got me interested in the feature. Nice thing with Tesla also is you can decide you don't want Auto pilot when you buy the model 3 and add it later.

Meh....with that little human involvement/activity, may as well call a cab....

The skill, finesse, and man/machine involvement of this impresses me....

They're not mutually exclusive though. It's not like the technology featured in the Model 3 means an end to human-involved driving. It might simply mean that you can take control when you want to, like at the track, on switchbacks, etc. but don't have to when driving is a mundane task, like in 5 mph traffic.

I've had a lot of fun, interactive cars (M3, 2013 Boss 302, AMGs, 335i, etc), and loved most of the time driving them. But there is simply no car that will make bumper to bumper, a reality for many of us, an enjoyable experience. And I think most who have that type of commute would agree. You could toss me in a Ferrari tomorrow, and the part of my commute that is 5-20mph is still going to suck as much as it does when I'm in an Accord. Perhaps more so because I know what the car can do if untethered. This is where I see this technology kicking in and helping. The ability to have cars self-drive may mean that we no longer need to make that decision when buying a car. "Do I get the fun car that might suck in traffic, or do I get one that will be more comfy on my commute but boring otherwise?"

I simply can't see why anyone would be against it. Again, it's not like you're picking one over the other. Teslas have always been about building engaging cars to drive, though engagement is a relative term compared to other more engaging cars. I don't see this technology replacing the driver in all aspects. I see it supplementing and being a stand-in for when the driver simply doesn't want to drive, but still needs to go somewhere.

So to me, both are impressive, but for entirely different, but complimentary reasons.

They're not mutually exclusive though. It's not like the technology featured in the Model 3 means an end to human-involved driving. It might simply mean that you can take control when you want to, like at the track, on switchbacks, etc. but don't have to when driving is a mundane task, like in 5 mph traffic.

I've had a lot of fun, interactive cars (M3, 2013 Boss 302, AMGs, 335i, etc), and loved most of the time driving them. But there is simply no car that will make bumper to bumper, a reality for many of us, an enjoyable experience. And I think most who have that type of commute would agree. You could toss me in a Ferrari tomorrow, and the part of my commute that is 5-20mph is still going to suck as much as it does when I'm in an Accord. Perhaps more so because I know what the car can do if untethered. This is where I see this technology kicking in and helping. The ability to have cars self-drive may mean that we no longer need to make that decision when buying a car. "Do I get the fun car that might suck in traffic, or do I get one that will be more comfy on my commute but boring otherwise?"

I simply can't see why anyone would be against it. Again, it's not like you're picking one over the other. Teslas have always been about building engaging cars to drive, though engagement is a relative term compared to other more engaging cars. I don't see this technology replacing the driver in all aspects. I see it supplementing and being a stand-in for when the driver simply doesn't want to drive, but still needs to go somewhere.

So to me, both are impressive, but for entirely different, but complimentary reasons.

You hit at exactly the reason I'm so excited for Auto pilot. I hate dealing with bumper to bumper traffic. In these situations I would rather have the car drive itself. I can also see a huge benefit on long trips. I would still drive the car when traffic is lighter and for fun.

remember - many people (I count myself as one) will stretch their wallet to get their Tesla or electric car.
When they checked what previous owners owned before Tesla's - they found they weren't all high-end cars (top of range Jags, Mercedes) but Prius and other efficient cars - people like the efficiency of electric cars.
I have a model 3 reservation. In the UK they wont deliver til 2019. Elon told me if i want 2 screens to get a S or X. Well, there's 2 screens on a Leaf, driver cluster and its a hatchback - and they're making it available in the UK in Jan/Feb 2018... am very tempted... if I buy a Leaf then it's a lot more likely i won't be buying my model 3 (2 new cars in 18-24 months). I have one reserved since day 1.
I have £20-40k to spend on my next car and i told myself it'd be electric. Some might think it silly - but all electric cars compete to an extent with all other electric cars.
A LEAF 2 might well be a good fit for you. Cheaper than a 3 (most likely, perhaps by a lot), LEAF batteries won't degrade as quickly in your mild climate as they do in hot places, and relatively well featured, as you say. Your country also seems to be well covered by Chademo charge stations, so far as I can see, so you could even use it for road trips, albeit with considerably more hassle than a Tesla Supercharger trip.

For me, a LEAF 2 would only be useful for local driving and the range would decline fairly rapidly, based on my experience with the previous LEAF. Road trips would be out of the question since Chademo doesn't exist here. (My most recent road trip was the equivalent of driving from Plymouth to Inverness and back, twice, and that's fairly typical — I've done that trip three times this year.) Different tools for different needs.

Since this has shifted a bit to what Tesla offers that others don't, check this out.
No, it's not available to the public yet, but all their AP 2.0+ cars are supposedly
hardware equipped to be able to do this. If this doesn't impress you,
I don't know what will :).

Does the AP and the GPS map itinerary are talking to each other?

From what I read on this forum is that you cannot select an itinerary and AP will follow it,
in particular changing lane, taking or skipping a freeway exit cannot be made by the AP,
but I might be wrong

Does the AP and the GPS map itinerary are talking to each other?

From what I read on this forum is that you cannot select an itinerary and AP will follow it,
in particular changing lane, taking or skipping a freeway exit cannot be made by the AP,
but I might be wrong

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Nor would I likely have the answer, as I know only what the video provided :).

So how is the EAP different from low and high speed follow besides keeping within the lane (which I know is very important even on slow moving traffic)?

When does it automatically change lane, when a destination is programmed in the navigation system and in time to exit or enter another freeway based on the calculated route?

Enhanced Autopilot - $5,000
Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination.

So how is the EAP different from low and high speed follow besides keeping within the lane (which I know is very important even on slow moving traffic)?

When does it automatically change lane, when a destination is programmed in the navigation system and in time to exit or enter another freeway based on the calculated route?

Enhanced Autopilot - $5,000
Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination.
at this point in time eap = vaporware

at this point in time eap = vaporware

Except it's not vaporware. It simply doesn't provide all of the promised functions, but does actually deliver on many. It matches speed to traffic, stays within lanes, can self park, and is very close to automatic lane changes. It will change lanes, but requires a user prompt to do so. EAP is evolving and will continue to do so.

Except it's not vaporware. It simply doesn't provide all of the promised functions, but does actually deliver on many. It matches speed to traffic, stays within lanes, can self park, and is very close to automatic lane changes. It will change lanes, but requires a user prompt to do so. EAP is evolving and will continue to do so.
in other words EAP isn't working as advertised.
what you've described is what I have with AP1, hence my claim that at this point in time EAP is still vaporware.