Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Leaf vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't consider a $35,000 230 mile Leaf "tasty" when compared to a similar ranged Tesla Model 3. Admittedly the Leaf will have more bells and whistles at the base level than the Model 3, but the Model 3 is a roomier car that is way more appealing to most buyers.

The mid-trim Leaf in Canada seems to be a bargain at $31k USD and it already has almost every feature a BEV would want (tech and winter package in the States) except the SCN and possibly playing more of the waiting game if one likes playing games.

If the LG battery in the 60 kWh does have TMS, it will likely be a decent game changer for those who don't care much about the SCN and the nicer exterior design of the 3.

Competition is a great thing for all of us. I'm a fan of both the leaf and the bolt from a competitor standpoint, but neither are really considerations in my mind purely for aesthetic reasons. I want to drive a good-looking, well-handling car that happens to be electric. Both the bolt and leaf unfortunately lent themselves into the stereotype of what electric cars should look like.

Competition is a great thing for all of us. I'm a fan of both the leaf and the bolt from a competitor standpoint, but neither are really considerations in my mind purely for aesthetic reasons. I want to drive a good-looking, well-handling car that happens to be electric. Both the bolt and leaf unfortunately lent themselves into the stereotype of what electric cars should look like.

And the brilliant product planners at GM decided not to have an onboard navigation system for the Bolt. Based on cell signal strength/availability in areas we may go, that eliminated Bolt immediately.

And the brilliant product planners at GM decided not to have an onboard navigation system for the Bolt. Based on cell signal strength/availability in areas we may go, that eliminated Bolt immediately.

This is exactly what drew me to Tesla. I want a car that drives great, is fast, can seat people, has great tech and doesn't use lots of gas. Really like that Tesla sends updates out over the air and is always adding new stuff to these cars as well. To me the leaf and bolt are boring cars that are economical but take away your manhood as soon as you drive them.

This is exactly what drew me to Tesla. I want a car that drives great, is fast, can seat people, has great tech and doesn't use lots of gas. Really like that Tesla sends updates out over the air and is always adding new stuff to these cars as well. To me the leaf and bolt are boring cars that are economical but take away your manhood as soon as you drive them.

What great tech is found in the Tesla that is so awe-inspiring? Please educate me. I concur with drives great, handles well, fast but I'm not sure if it will be cheaper to maintain after the warranty period and although we are part of the middle class, I'm not so sure I'd like to part with >$3k / annum on potential repairs (Model S brake replacement pegged at $6k for parts alone and $1,600 for each door handle). It would be wise for long term Tesla owners to get the ESA. I surely would depending on how it is structured by the time I am able to configure a M3.

People who own the S say the AP 1 or 2 are good but can't really be relied upon if they are based on painted lines on the street. I wouldn't rely on AP until it is proven and would like to know how many GPS receiver Tesla puts into these cars because Broadcom will be releasing dual GPS receivers that will allow for more pinpoint accuracy of smartphones and perhaps, other moving objects like cars.

Last edited:
If you haven't used AP and only go by the posts you read in here, you have no idea what you are missing.

Please enlighten other TMC members on how wonderful AP is, especially to those who don't drive cross-country and already have ACC.

lane change assist
highway exit assist
sign recognition

why in hell would I need these things when they are not 100% foolproof and I still have to be fully alert while driving? the TACC and AEB are game changers but definitely not restricted to Tesla vehicles.

Screw typing in stuff on a bunch of screens. That sucked 20 years ago and still sucks today. I just tell the car where it's supposed to go, and it guides me. I don't even always need correct addresses, correct names, sppelling skillz, etc. In any case, taking your eyes off the road when you don't need to is sort of dumb to be honest.

If I had a Bolt, that's the way I'd navigate. I joined the 21st century a while ago. That's how the base model Bolt navigates, just like the $100k GM products do.

Screw typing in stuff on a bunch of screens. That sucked 20 years ago and still sucks today. I just tell the car where it's supposed to go, and it guides me. I don't even always need correct addresses, correct names, sppelling skillz, etc. In any case, taking your eyes off the road when you don't need to is sort of dumb to be honest.

If I had a Bolt, that's the way I'd navigate. I joined the 21st century a while ago. That's how the base model Bolt navigates, just like the $100k GM products do.

I think this is trying to be funny, but not sure. Anyway, onboard nav works with voice command (is that what you are referencing?), and when headed to a new/unfamiliar destination, I set it up before departure. And, no, higher priced GM cars have onboard systems (with voice command), so no relying on a cell signal to allow googlemaps, waze, etc. to function or be mirrored into the car.

I think this is trying to be funny, but not sure. Anyway, onboard nav works with voice command (is that what you are referencing?), and when headed to a new/unfamiliar destination, I set it up before departure. And, no, higher priced GM cars have onboard systems (with voice command), so no relying on a cell signal to allow googlemaps, waze, etc. to function or be mirrored into the car.

No, that's reality. While driving, I say, "Find me a restaurant on the Huntington Pier. If it's open, give me directions."

Now, on the more expensive models, it shows up in the HUD, cluster, and center display as well as audio. On the cheaper models, there in no HUD nav, just console and center screen and audio.

Yeah, I have both a $100k GM car and a $30k GM car and they both work the same way as does the Bolt. To be more blunt, you apparently don't have any idea what GM sells this century, or that GM cars have 1, 2, or 3 NAV systems. I'm not sure they sell any with 0. If they do, I haven't seen them.

It's the same NAV that will call for help if I crash and am unresponsive. Or unlocks or locks or preheat/precools or tells me where the car is or what the tire pressures are or what the VIN is or how much it's charged/gas level, etc, etc, remotely via cellphone. It's free base equipment on most GMs.

Last edited:
What great tech is found in the Tesla that is so awe-inspiring? Please educate me. I concur with drives great, handles well, fast but I'm not sure if it will be cheaper to maintain after the warranty period and although we are part of the middle class, I'm not so sure I'd like to part with >$3k / annum on potential repairs (Model S brake replacement pegged at $6k for parts alone and $1,600 for each door handle). It would be wise for long term Tesla owners to get the ESA. I surely would depending on how it is structured by the time I am able to configure a M3.

People who own the S say the AP 1 or 2 are good but can't really be relied upon if they are based on painted lines on the street. I wouldn't rely on AP until it is proven and would like to know how many GPS receiver Tesla puts into these cars because Broadcom will be releasing dual GPS receivers that will allow for more pinpoint accuracy of smartphones and perhaps, other moving objects like cars.

You ask what tech is awe inspiring... First off Tesla cars are able to be software upgraded without having to take them to the dealer via cellular. Tesla is always tweaking and adding new features via software updates. Built in nav builds routs based on supercharger locations for cross country trips. I know you can use a app on your phone but Tesla has it built in. Auto Pilot is huge and no other companies self driving tech is as good as Tesla's and this will only get better via software updates. The other car I'm considering the Audi A4 has traffic jam assist which only works up to 40mph and can't be upgraded. Tesla's works up to 90mph...

Autopilot right now is a driver assistance package and not full self driving. I agree I wouldn't rely on it solely. I'm lucky around me roads are pretty well lined and I think it would work pretty well. That being said as I said above one of the biggest features with the Tesla is the ease of software updates auto pilot is one feature that is going to continue to improve. Keep in mind this is new tech it is going to have glitches.

Hopefully as these cars are mass produced they become cheaper to maintain. The door handles on the model 3 don't auto present like the model S so hopefully that means less to go wrong. Curious about the brake job you are talking about I looked up the pads for a 2015 model S and they cost $30 which is pretty cheap. People on the forums are saying they are getting lots of miles out of the brakes too because of the regenerative braking.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit