Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 75D "Bricked" after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the exact definition of bricked would be irreversible and that's why people here are taking it as an offense that it doesn't meet that 'urban dictionary' definition.

but honestly for all practical purposes yes, his car was bricked. the software update rendered his car completely dead to the point it had to be towed back to the manufacturer. don't think the OP is being dramatic at all.
I guess a flat tire would qualify as "bricking" the car then.

I
the exact definition of bricked would be irreversible and that's why people here are taking it as an offense that it doesn't meet that 'urban dictionary' definition.

but honestly for all practical purposes yes, his car was bricked. the software update rendered his car completely dead to the point it had to be towed back to the manufacturer. don't think the OP is being dramatic at all.

In that case there are "bricked" cars of all varieties. My 2009 BMW AH7 had a 12V battery that was going bad and started throwing error after error on the center display until it finally died on my commute. I guess you would call it "bricked" until a new 12V battery was installed. Viola not really "bricked" in my opinion but to each his own.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and bak_phy
I had this a couple of weeks ago whilst upgrading to 2018.32.2

Okayed the update at 13:00, but by 15:30 there was no message telling me it was complete

Went down to the garage at work, where I found a totally unresponsive car - dead as a dooornail

Luckily, I left a window open and could enter the car, but there were no lights and certainly no signs of life from the displays. Called Tesla, who couldn’t wake the car so they sent a tow truck

I then got a message at 17:21 saying the update was complete - which was way too soon to have arrived at the service centre. Turns out the car just kept rejecting the update, but it eventually completed while being towed - which made for some interesting dash cam footage

All was not lost as they replaced the steering motor bolts as per the recall, and loaned me a P100DL which was highly entertaining to say the least!

Everything has been fine since - just put down to one of those things.....

I've actually had a bricked 75d. Loaner car was charged to 90% on L2 overnight in my house. The next morning nothing. Tesla had to pull it from my garage. Nothing they tried woke it up, onsite, remote, or spare FOB. They had to force the frunk open to get tow mode on and even that was a hassle as they couldn't get one side to release... THAT was bricked, turns out a fried security module and it locked everything. The only thing they could do was flash the lights.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Similar here. Had an update run this past Friday, overnight, and came up the next morning to a dead touchscreen. The P85 had a permanent systems powering up message on the instrument cluster but that was it. Car had to be towed pulled up on a flatbed with plastic skates, leaving me with a mess of scratches on my driveway and no car for the weekend. And this is the morning after I got it back from service for another issue. Why doesn't service do the firmware updates for us if they already have it there?

B

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Similar for me: on the 18th, I had just returned from a week-long road trip without issue. Phone notification that an update is available. I went out to the car to start the update, and the center screen is black and will not power up. Left it overnight, no change. Screen behind steering wheels shows, "systems powering up". Talked to service, their first guess was that a software update being staged might have been corrupted. Managed to get the car to drive, without the center screen (no charging, no AC, no music, no creep, etc), and drove it to the service center.

They said the car responded to their attempts to communicate with it, which was a good sign, but they were unable to get the screen back up. Eventually decided to replace the MCU. Being out of warranty, I had to pay for that replacement. If it's somehow related to a failed software update, I'd like to get more details and discuss it with Tesla.

I am considering a 2018 model S.
Reading about all the issues with updates here, and we dont have a SC anywhere close by. When your car is unusable, from such things like software, does Tesla give u a loaner vehicle ?

Yes, if your car is with Tesla, you can get a loaner. At least with the S and X.

Of note, my car has over 99,000 miles on it. I've put 63,000 of those miles on it. It's a 2013 Model S. I don't know, for certain, that my issue was related to a software update. It seems like a solid maybe. I've never had an issue with a software update other than potentially this one.

Yes, if your car is with Tesla, you can get a loaner. At least with the S and X.

Of note, my car has over 99,000 miles on it. I've put 63,000 of those miles on it. It's a 2013 Model S. I don't know, for certain, that my issue was related to a software update. It seems like a solid maybe. I've never had an issue with a software update other than potentially this one.
that is good to know.
I am not sure how quickly they will be able to get to me in the middle of nowhere in New England. They will probably have to send a mobile unit. The closest Service Centeris in Boston or across the border in Montreal !

hopefully I will never have to deal with a bricking issue, but I am going to ask them when I take delivery

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. On Monday night, 09/10/2018, I received a software update for my 2018 Model S. After receiving notice on my phone that the update was complete, I tried to start the car with no luck.

I tried several soft reboots with support but only the instrument panel would come up. The car remained off and the main screen would not turn on even though support had remote access to the car at all times.

Eventually I had it towed to the shop where they are still troubleshooting it.

Anyway, just wandering if anyone else has seen the same thing.

I experienced the exact same thing with my Model X on the same night 12/10/18. Had to have it towed. 7 days later Tesla has no idea what caused the issue nor do they have a fix. My Model X remains at the service center and it has not been moved from the spot where the tow driver dropped it off. Software Update Bricked My Model X

• Disagree