Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX: FWD not closing at all, phantom obstacle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 March MX here.

Just got the car back from the SC after 10 days for aa firmware upgrade failure that was traced to the ECU on the FWDs.

Now the passenger side FWD keeps "detecting" a phantom obstacle. Refuses to close unless I use the override.

I don't want to head back to the SC again and lose the car for another few days while I drive around in a Fusion.

I know this was an issue with the early MXes, I wanted to know if anyone from late 2017, 2018 know of a resolution.

Thanks!

I don’t have a solution, my 03/18 has the same issue on driver side FWD, though not always. It’s happened a few times since delivery and I timestamped them. Will bring the issue up (along with whole bunch others) the next time I go in.

2018 March MX here.

Just got the car back from the SC after 10 days for aa firmware upgrade failure that was traced to the ECU on the FWDs.

Now the passenger side FWD keeps "detecting" a phantom obstacle. Refuses to close unless I use the override.

I don't want to head back to the SC again and lose the car for another few days while I drive around in a Fusion.

I know this was an issue with the early MXes, I wanted to know if anyone from late 2017, 2018 know of a resolution.

Thanks!

Tell your SC that you need a Tesla loaner (you can ask for an X) with autopilot when making schedule.

I have the same problem that happens when the drivers side FWD is in the sun, but once it cools down it works perfectly. My MX is heading to the SC for this and a problem with the trailer lights.
So my 2016 had problem opening the door under the sun that ended up getting repurchased. My 2018 has the opposite issue now? Omfg.

06/15 Update:

Got the car back. Apparently when they replaced the ECU and sensor on the FWD for a firmware update issue one week prior, they didn't install and configure the hardware. Begs the question as to why they didn't do a simple Open/Close check after completing the job.

Anyway, my X is back. Life is good again, especially after the XTS.

06/14:
Took the car to the SC on 06/14. In addition to the door not closing, the car randomly unlocked itself at freeway speeds. This got unnerving as I've got 2*1-year old dogs in the back.

Since it was a safety issue, they took the car in immediately and gave me a Cadillac XTS (yeeeeeucgh) and estimated one week to repair the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01 and P85_DA