TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2018 MX: FWD not closing at all, phantom obstacle.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by puritan, Jun 10, 2018.

1. puritan

puritan Member

2018 March MX here.

Just got the car back from the SC after 10 days for aa firmware upgrade failure that was traced to the ECU on the FWDs.

Now the passenger side FWD keeps "detecting" a phantom obstacle. Refuses to close unless I use the override.

I don't want to head back to the SC again and lose the car for another few days while I drive around in a Fusion.

I know this was an issue with the early MXes, I wanted to know if anyone from late 2017, 2018 know of a resolution.

Thanks!

2. outie

outie Active Member

I don’t have a solution, my 03/18 has the same issue on driver side FWD, though not always. It’s happened a few times since delivery and I timestamped them. Will bring the issue up (along with whole bunch others) the next time I go in.

3. Tes La Ferrari

I wonder if this specific fault is a new FWD issue or if existed on the older ones as well ?

4. butlp

butlp Member

I have the same problem that happens when the drivers side FWD is in the sun, but once it cools down it works perfectly. My MX is heading to the SC for this and a problem with the trailer lights.

5. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Tell your SC that you need a Tesla loaner (you can ask for an X) with autopilot when making schedule.

6. outie

outie Active Member

My SC does not secure loaner for anyone. In fact they have been giving out ice rentals as loaner. Horrible.

• Informative x 1
  7. outie

outie Active Member

So my 2016 had problem opening the door under the sun that ended up getting repurchased. My 2018 has the opposite issue now? Omfg.

8. Tes La Ferrari

What year / build month is yours ?

9. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

That is unacceptable. Have you tried complaining and escalating? I would never buy the car if I don't get like for like.

10. jtdiddy

jtdiddy Member

there's a good video on youtube about how to reset the FWD's. Have u tried this?

11. butlp

butlp Member

My MX is blue and was built 12/17

12. butlp

butlp Member

Here in Canada the SC doesn’t have enough Tesla’s to loan. They try to make sure the rental vehicles are high end and new. I don’t mind driving an ice for a day as it makes me appreciate how great my MX is.

13. puritan

puritan Member

06/15 Update:

Got the car back. Apparently when they replaced the ECU and sensor on the FWD for a firmware update issue one week prior, they didn't install and configure the hardware. Begs the question as to why they didn't do a simple Open/Close check after completing the job.

Anyway, my X is back. Life is good again, especially after the XTS.

06/14:
    Took the car to the SC on 06/14. In addition to the door not closing, the car randomly unlocked itself at freeway speeds. This got unnerving as I've got 2*1-year old dogs in the back.

Since it was a safety issue, they took the car in immediately and gave me a Cadillac XTS (yeeeeeucgh) and estimated one week to repair the car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1