Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX: Software update keeps failing, among other niggles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My MX 100D(VIN: 91xxx), delivered March 2018 has been experiencing Software update issues since late April. The car updated to 2018.12 without issues but since then the updates to 2018.14 and 2018.20 have been failing. The weird thing is, the update itself takes about an hour and then reports a failure. When I look up the current version number after the attempted update, it is the latest version.

The car has been in the shop for the past week, my app keeps reporting SW update fails twice every day so it looks like the SC isn't getting anywhere with it either.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Other niggles: any useful comments on these would be appreciated as well:

1) Bluetooth call audio is awful. I use an Android device, no watches.
2) Rear cargo shelf broke twice(the thing that holds up the cover). All because my 50-pound dog sat in that corner.
3) Persistent rattle from passenger door trim, fixed with fasteners during a previous visit but its coming back.
4) Trunk latch plates slid out of its position twice, but it isn't broken

Its a shame as I'm completely in love with the car (driven 6000 miles already) but the niggles bug me.

Ok, I hope I do not get bashed again for trying to help....
As for the item #3, I had a similar issue to finally realize it was the seatbelt that was hitting the plastic part of the rear of the passenger seat...
My bluetooth is regularly out of sync as well....
This still is a great car, after 38 000 Km and 15 months of ownership

Our S 100D had two instances of problems last year when the car would fail to install updates.

When the car was delivered, the first update we received wouldn't install. We took it to the Service Center, they kept trying for 24 hours - and couldn't get it to work. They ordered a replacement MCU and sent the car home for us to use until the new processor was ready for installation. When I got home, I tried doing a "Power Off" and then rebooting the dashboard & console processors - and the update went through on the first try at home. So we cancelled the MCU replacement.

Last fall, our S 100D was sitting in a multi-story parking garage for almost a week sitting out hurricane Harvey - car was not plugged into power - no WiFi - and possibly some intermittent AT&T communications during the heavy rain. When we took the car home, we noticed it wasn't receiving updates and called Tesla. They checked the logs, determined the car had failed to install updates multiple times while it was parked - and was moved to a "do not update" list on their server. To fix this, we had to take the car to a Service Center, where they forced the car to install the latest software.

Since then, haven't had any problems.

if you're having issues with updates - first call Tesla's phone support group and see what they say - and then you'll likely need to go to a Service Center to get them to force all of the processors to update to the correct version of software.

As for the other issues:
  1. BT phone audio - in our 2 Model S cars, the quality problem we're seeing is on the other end. People we are talking to on the phone get a lot of background noise, even when we aren't talking. We've found that lowering the media player's phone audio volume in the car seems to help.
  2. Cargo shelf isn't meant to hold any significant weight. You may want to consider not carrying it with you when the dog is in the car...
  3. We've got intermittent rattles in two of the doors in our S 100D. The Service Center is willing to take the doors apart to fix - but the problem isn't significant enough for us to warrant doing that (and risking breaking something else).
  4. Our S P85 had a front trunk latch failure on a road trip. Inconvenient because we could drive the car at highway speeds, and this happened in the middle of Kansas, requiring a long tow to the nearest Service Center for repairs. Other than that, haven't had any trunk latch problems on either of our Model S cars.

I had the software update failure issue on my X100D after about 5000 miles. Not sure if you have same issue, but below is what caused my issue (from the service ticket):

Concern: Customer: Customer stated that recent firmware update has failed twice in the last
few days. Uploaded manually by service and will not install.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Firmware General Diagnosis
Verified Firmware unable to successfully load. Reviewing the data it appears that the
control module for the falcon doors is pulling down communication circuits preventing FW
to succeed.
Corrections: Module - Ultrasonic Door Sensors - LH
Replaced Ultrasonic module and attempted a firmware upload. Unsuccessful again,
Watching the process and how the data line is being pulled down stopping the module
from communicating, we found that the door classing sensors have been affecting the
module performance and bringing down communication.
Part Quantity
ECU, ULTRASONIC, FALCON DOOR
(1055891-00-D)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Cladding - Door - Rear - RH
Replaced Right
Rear door cladding/sensor.
Part Quantity
ASY, RHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1097664-00-B)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Cladding - Door - Rear - LH
Replaced Left rear door cladding/sensor. Ran Firmware. Verified Firmware successfully
loaded. Performed validation checks on system and functionality. Verified Fix.
Part Quantity
ASY,LHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1097663-00-B)
Parts Replaced or Added
Concern: Perform courtesy inspection.
Pay Type: Goodwill
Corrections: Courtesy Inspection
*Pull Vehicle Logs and Checked for Active Faults: No Faults Found 03/12/18
*Checked Firmware Version: Update Firmware

• Informative
Reactions: GOPJEW