Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.16- rural speed limit update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, I've taken a closer look at the Model 3 Manual, and it states this:

In situations where Speed Assist is unable to determine a speed limit (for example, speed limit signs and GPS data are not available at the current location), or if Speed Assist is uncertain that an acquired speed limit is accurate (for example, although a speed limit sign was initially detected, some time has passed before a subsequent sign has been detected), the touchscreen may not display a speed limit sign and warnings do not take effect.

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf (page 89)
This certainly seems like its eluding to extracting data from street signs. It also states:

You can also specify how the speed limit is determined: • Relative - The speed limit is determined automatically based on detected traffic signs and GPS data. If desired, you can set a speed limit offset (+ or -) if you want to be alerted only when you exceed the offset speed limit by a specified amount. For example, you can increase the offset to +10 mph (10 km/h) if you only want to be warned when you exceed the speed limit by 10 mph (10 km/h).

However, it also states this:

Limitations and Inaccuracies Speed Assist may not be fully functional or may provide inaccurate information in these situations: • The speed limits stored in the GPS database are incorrect or outdated. • Model 3 is being driven in an area where GPS data is not available. • A road or a speed limit has recently changed.

I'm not really sure what to make out of these notes. It could be that some other source is collecting data from the traffic signs, or it could be modeled by the fleet itself.

Given how bad Tesla tends to be at lazy documentation it wouldn't shock me if someone cut and pasted some of that from a an old S manual regarding autopilot 1... which DID read signs.

Or that someone told the author it WAS going to read signs.... but then it never happened (either because they realized HW2.x wasn't up to it, or they realized the mobileye patent was a problem, or the programmers were focused on other things).

Given how bad Tesla tends to be at lazy documentation it wouldn't shock me if someone cut and pasted some of that from a an old S manual regarding autopilot 1... which DID read signs.

Or that someone told the author it WAS going to read signs.... but then it never happened (either because they realized HW2.x wasn't up to it, or they realized the mobileye patent was a problem, or the programmers were focused on other things).

For someone who has recently, and on numerous occasions called people out by pointing to the user manual, I am a little surprised now by your comment as to its accuracy! Had the situation been reversed, you may have even quoted this passage, below:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS All specifications and descriptions contained in this document are verified to be accurate at the time of printing. However, because continuous improvement is a goal at Tesla, we reserve the right to make product modifications at any time. To communicate any inaccuracies or omissions in this document, please send an email to: [email protected].
As an exercise, I'm going to write to the email alias, and request clarification. I'm super curious to see how, and if someone will respond!

For someone who has recently, and on numerous occasions called people out by pointing to the user manual, I am a little surprised now by your comment as to its accuracy! Had the situation been reversed, you may have even quoted this passage, below:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS All specifications and descriptions contained in this document are verified to be accurate at the time of printing. However, because continuous improvement is a goal at Tesla, we reserve the right to make product modifications at any time. To communicate any inaccuracies or omissions in this document, please send an email to: [email protected].
As an exercise, I'm going to write to the email alias, and request clarification. I'm super curious to see how, and if someone will respond!

I'd be curious too.

That said- I hope you can see a pretty large distinction between "This sensor might collect this data or not" and "This driving feature that actually takes partial control of the car should never be used in this specific situation"

I took a couple weeks, but Tesla finally responded to me with the following email. This is what I thought, and clears up the question we had on the documentation.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 2.11.35 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: hobbes
I took a couple weeks, but Tesla finally responded to me with the following email. This is what I thought, and clears up the question we had on the documentation.

View attachment 416271

A little feedback on Tesla's response. In some situations in Autopilot, like on a rural road, where the speed limit is lowered (e.g., when entering a town), your set speed will automatically be reduced to 5 MPH over the speed limit. When the speed limit goes back up, your speed will automatically be increased to its previous setting as long as you didn't adjust it manually in the interim.

Thanks for reaching out to them.

A little feedback on Tesla's response. In some situations in Autopilot, like on a rural road, where the speed limit is lowered (e.g., when entering a town), your set speed will automatically be reduced to 5 MPH over the speed limit. When the speed limit goes back up, your speed will automatically be increased to its previous setting as long as you didn't adjust it manually in the interim.

Just to clarify, this will happen only under the following conditions:

1. Speed limits are in the database correctly and in the correct locations.
2. The vehicle is on Autosteer, not just TACC.
3. The road you are traveling on is a non-divided road, such that Autosteer has applied the speed limit + 5 MPH restriction.

The behavior of the vehicle where it seems as if it is automatically reducing the set cruise control speed is actually a side effect of the Autosteer restriction for undivided roads. It is not meant to keep your vehicle speed near the speed limit, per se. It is meant to keep your speed down where Autosteer is safer.

Reactions: Big Earl

Thanks for reaching out to them.

The documentation team was quite lovely and encouraged me (even thanked me) for reaching out to them in a follow-up email. Everyone likes to know their work is appreciated.

I've never had the opportunity to try, I've always disabled AP when entering cities and towns, as I'm often thinking that speed traps are hiding in wait.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to get emergency vehicle (police), speed traps, and road hazard warnings on the Tesla Map service. Google has already released this (borrowed from Waze) in select areas in the U.S. This could be useful for Autopilot as well, mainly when there are road hazards. I try to limit my use of additional navigation Apps for day-to-day use, but I'm still finding myself reaching for Waze on trips. I've also had a poor experience landing in the right spots when trying to find hiking locations, and almost every other week I'm using another map service after giving it a shot and finding myself on the side of a road after passing a destination that isn't quite right.

Both Apple's and Google's car integrations are getting better, and there will be a point where we might want them more. Tesla hasn't opened up its platform to other developers yet, and it may just be because they don't feel the marketplace is big enough to warrant it, however. I also believe that Tesla is collecting valuable data about where users are going and the routes they're traveling that they'd like to leverage for as long as possible.