Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar position here, ordered a good couple weeks ago, got matched to a VIN last thursday. I believe the whip is on Grand Aurora but sitting tight till then!

This is why some of us just can't understand the system!
There are quite a few people who ordered in SEPT that haven't been allocated, yet someone who ordered a couple of weeks ago gets matched.
Good luck to you mate, but how the hell do they allocate cars?

There are quite a few people who ordered in SEPT that haven't been allocated, yet someone who ordered a couple of weeks ago gets matched.

My understanding is:
They make a batch of cars of a particular spec. They make another batch of a different spec. They load the boats with the cars. They then match the orders with whatever is on the boat. (I"m sure I read this was done chronologically)
So if you've got an order for a car that was in the first batch/spec then you'll get your order quicker than if it was in the second batch/spec. Even if you ordered after someone who ordered the second batch/spec.

This is a good question.

I now think spec is just part of the equation. Looking back at the huge variation, even for those that order the same spec, I think the collection point or home delivery location is also a factor. Which makes sense, as transportation is probably pre-booked to certain areas of the country.

So... It's likely, order date, colour, spec and delivery location that all factor into this. Maybe a few more factors as well, like availability of staff.

So... It's likely, order date, colour, spec and delivery location that all factor into this. Maybe a few more factors as well, like availability of staff.

I suspect (or rather hope) that location doesn't influence allocations, but will probably change when you're told about allocation.

I know, for example, that there are people with the same specification as me who have confirmation of a vehicle being allocated, some who ordered after I did. I also know that they had "accelerated delivery" examples on the web site earlier this week, which I wouldn't expect to see when there are existing customer orders to be fulfilled.

My overall assumption is therefore that I have been informally allocated a vehicle from one of the ships currently in transit, but I will not get any confirmation until there is a formal allocation of a specific car and that will almost certainly depend on what's going to my delivery centre - which probably won't happen until the ship unloads.

I would certainly hope that location had no impact on allocation!
Delivery, yes I can understand that. If you live in Scotalnd it's going to take longer to get to you than someone who lives in Southampton but they can't surely say you're not getting one of these, matey in Southampton who ordered the same car later then you gets it because he lives nearer the port.
When would people living furtrher away ever get a car?

Delivery, yes I can understand that. If you live in Scotalnd it's going to take longer to get to you than someone who lives in Southampton but they can't surely say you're not getting one of these, matey in Southampton who ordered the same car later then you gets it because he lives nearer the port.

when everyone south of you is sorted? :)

Previous posters have said Tesla will honour prices from when the original order was placed.

Based upon past behaviour, if Tesla have repriced any part of the order, or the purchaser has amended their order, Tesla have used either...

the new total order price - all items priced at current book value so individual items can go up or down
or
the original total order price (not applicable to order amendments)

In the event of a Tesla price change, Tesla will automatically honour the lower of the above. If order has changed due to purchaser amendment, they will use the new total order price.

What Tesla have not done is mix and match individual prices between old and new order books.

I don't know the circumstances here, but some examples:

Base model reduction £1500, FSD price rise £1000. New price £500 discount - the £1500 reduction is offset by £1000 increase.

Base model reduction £500, FSD price rise £1000. Total order price remains same as original order as new order is more expensive.

Cycle carrier added at £1000, FSD price rise £1000. New order price increases £2000.

What I think is... They have X transporters going to Scotland booked, they get filled. They have X going to Midlands, this has one free space. They allocate the free space first, so a Midlands order overtakes.

They do this with countries, allocate X amount to each country per ship. It's not a huge leap to say they also do X per service center too.

They will all get allocated, no one ever misses out, but the order gets reshuffled.

It has in the past, but not with above scenario.

Different delivery centres have different capacities to deliver. And Tesla want all cars delivered ordered by end of quarter.

So if two people order same spec car, the older order in Scotland (insert any smaller delivery centre here), the more recent order in London for delivery from West Drayton, it is possible that the Scotland order will be delayed till next quarter because there is no capacity to deliver the vehicle that quarter, so later London order actually receives their car first.

Last edited:
It has in the past, but not with above scenario.

Different delivery centres have different capacities to deliver. And Tesla want all cars ordered by end of quarter.

So if two people order same spec car, the older order in Scotland (insert any smaller delivery centre here), the more recent order in London for delivery from West Drayton, it is possible that the Scotland order will be delayed till next quarter because there is no capacity to deliver the vehicle that quarter, so later London order actually receives their car first.

Yes, thank you. That's what I was trying to say.

I'll just add, that I think this way of allocating happens all the time. They wouldn't want to take a risk that future capacity is guaranteed, so operate this just in time model always. Maximum deliveries per quarter is more important than order.

With Tesla, it seems allocating/delivery has the same meaning. They don't build to order at all. I think I said something similar in another post - they have a model similar to ordering household appliances - you enter a delivery location and they work out when then can deliver that spec.

It's why they hide the VIN as much as they can, I wouldn't ask for the washing machine serial number upfront but internally one might be allocated or reallocated to me many times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 512uk
I understand all the above, but the allocation of a VIN is the only time you know you might actually be getting a car.

"you enter a delivery location and they work out when they can deliver that spec" Well that's what THEY do but they never told me that or heve ever given me the date they can deliver it!
"If you order now you will get your car in 4-6 weeks I was told at the showroom" The website backed that up yet here I am 2 months+ later, still with no idea when I might get my car. I have no idea if it's been built, if it's on a ship or what.
"You should get it by the end of the quarter" is no reassurance. If that doesn't happen it will be at least another 2 months as they never seem to ship in the first month of a quarter.

As soon as they come out of the factory they know exactly what's been made and will be shipped, surely at that stage customers on the list could be told. Instead we're following ships on the internet as they leave San Fransisco and hoping "today I might get lucky" or "will it be when it gets to the Panama Canal"
Great product but no way to treat the customer.

I'll retreat to the sidelines and hope to get lucky.

I understand all the above, but the allocation of a VIN is the only time you know you might actually be getting a car.

"you enter a delivery location and they work out when they can deliver that spec" Well that's what THEY do but they never told me that or heve ever given me the date they can deliver it!
"If you order now you will get your car in 4-6 weeks I was told at the showroom" The website backed that up yet here I am 2 months+ later, still with no idea when I might get my car. I have no idea if it's been built, if it's on a ship or what.
"You should get it by the end of the quarter" is no reassurance. If that doesn't happen it will be at least another 2 months as they never seem to ship in the first month of a quarter.

As soon as they come out of the factory they know exactly what's been made and will be shipped, surely at that stage customers on the list could be told. Instead we're following ships on the internet as they leave San Fransisco and hoping "today I might get lucky" or "will it be when it gets to the Panama Canal"
Great product but no way to treat the customer.

I'll retreat to the sidelines and hope to get lucky.
I've just noticed you're Manchester location, are you collecting from that branch also?. Has anyone further "north" actually had a car assigned yet? I've got Manchester down as my collection location also but haven't heard anything from Tesla yet, I've phoned pretty much once a week to see if there been any change (every time a different story).

I've just noticed you're Manchester location, are you collecting from that branch also?. Has anyone further "north" actually had a car assigned yet? I've got Manchester down as my collection location also but haven't heard anything from Tesla yet, I've phoned pretty much once a week to see if there been any change (every time a different story).

I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne & will be collecting my car from Leeds on 25 November.

I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne & will be collecting my car from Leeds on 25 November.

Anyone with a LR got a delivery date scheduled in Manchester / Leeds or anywhere further north?

I'm in Preston. Got an email from the lease company last week with the VIN and reg for my white M3 LR with no options. No sign of a message with a delivery date etc but hopefully that wont be too long now. Might give Tesla a call this week and see if they have any details they can share.

I think everyone is onto something by taking delivery location into account. I am equally trying to work out their system but it's the only other parameter I can think of.

By the way... I think their process is equally frustrating and this thread has some good examples of this. It doesn't give the same new car experience as expected. It is disruptive though, which was one way to break into the market and demand means they get away with it for now.

But... As other manufacturers catch up without changing their operating model, that disruptive Tesla operating model may come under threat in reverse.

Apologies if this is covered by another thread but I couldnt find such a thread when searching. How long approx does it take to receive your car after the boat docks at southampton. I know they will take longer to get to different regions but does anyone know the approx answer ?

Apologies if this is covered by another thread but I couldnt find such a thread when searching. How long approx does it take to receive your car after the boat docks at southampton. I know they will take longer to get to different regions but does anyone know the approx answer ?

Tesla told me that my M3LR is on the RCC Antwerp which should dock in Southampton on Nov 13. I have a delivery appointment in Chelmsford on Nov 20. So, here’s on datapoint saying that it takes one week.

Status
Not open for further replies.