Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they fixed some of the bugs and dancing cars, and not just put effort into games... :rolleyes:

I REALLY think people should stop talking about "dancing cars" in
the same sentence as bugs. They are objects that the system cannot
yet determine orientation on, being at a standstill or too far away, e.g.
whether the car is facing straight or at an angle. That is NOT a malfunction.

If what you say is true then how does it know a truck vs a car vs ? orientation matters in order to decide some tall long thing probably is a truck, right?

Reactions: mewantcookiez

If it can't determine the direction, make them a solid block object - unmoving, until it figures it out. That they dance around is a bug as far as I'm concerned.

To each their own... :rolleyes: To me, they are bugs as they shouldn't be there by design. ;)

I would agree that it's not a malfunction. The system is functioning as programmed.

However, I would indeed say that it is a bug. The designed behavior of the display does not specify that car images should jump around. Thus, if they are jumping around, then the display programming is not yet meeting design criteria. That's a bug.

However, I would indeed say that it is a bug. The designed behavior of the display does not specify that car images should jump around. Thus, if they are jumping around, then the display programming is not yet meeting design criteria. That's a bug.

You're jumping to conclusions. The design specs may say that the display should show the car images as the AP system currently views/understands them. If that is the case then the display is working as designed and it isn't a bug.

Now maybe you could say that then the AP system has a bug, but again the spec is probably to recognize objects/direction of travel. The spec probably doesn't say don't ever change your mind on what an object is or what direction it is travelling.

The "dancing cars" is definitely a bug IMO since the cars are not supposed to jiggle like that. It would seem like an easy bug to fix though. You know the cars are in the adjacent lane so you know their direction of travel, so just automatically snap the cars to face the direction of travel.

I know the FSD demo seemed to show more details on the driver display but I do hope that when FSD is released that the driver display will show more detail. I love what Waymo shows. I wish we could get something more like this:

NEWS_181229990_V3_0_DIIJANPFKFZN.jpg

What? How did you get that from my post? That number signifies the week that the build was created.

2019. Year
24 week
1 update

You said that they update the AP NN(s) with every weekly version increase. I don’t think you could know that. I suspect they have a validation process that updated models go through, and that they choose to submit an updated one to their development repo when they have one ready which passes. They could also choose to do this in a revision in the release branch.

My point was it’s reasonably to say that any update might have AP / NN updates, and that new major versions are more likely to, but there’s probably no 1:1 relationship between models and weeks/versions as you suggested.

The "dancing cars" is definitely a bug IMO since the cars are not supposed to jiggle like that. It would seem like an easy bug to fix though. You know the cars are in the adjacent lane so you know their direction of travel, so just automatically snap the cars to face the direction of travel.

I know the FSD demo seemed to show more details on the driver display but I do hope that when FSD is released that the driver display will show more detail. I love what Waymo shows. I wish we could get something more like this:

NEWS_181229990_V3_0_DIIJANPFKFZN.jpg

That’s a beautiful visualization!

I reference to "dancing cars" With HW3 do you think we may get a REAL 360º video feed (with animation added) instead of the 100% animation? It seems HW3 has the extra power to do this. Realize this is probably V11 at least (and maybe HW4) but would be a great update.

Reactions: bradhs
You said that they update the AP NN(s) with every weekly version increase. I don’t think you could know that. I suspect they have a validation process that updated models go through, and that they choose to submit an updated one to their development repo when they have one ready which passes. They could also choose to do this in a revision in the release branch.

My point was it’s reasonably to say that any update might have AP / NN updates, and that new major versions are more likely to, but there’s probably no 1:1 relationship between models and weeks/versions as you suggested.

Yep, and we know that in the past they have updated the NN in a dot release so not all releases with the same week number necessarily have the same NN build.

Reactions: outdoors
I reference to "dancing cars" With HW3 do you think we may get a REAL 360º video feed (with animation added) instead of the 100% animation? It seems HW3 has the extra power to do this. Realize this is probably V11 at least (and maybe HW4) but would be a great update.

I’m not following what you’re asking for here.