Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 S pre-raven and got burned by the scheduled departure. I figured, "Nice, I don't have to do the math to figure out when to start the charge before my trip tomorrow." So I set the departure time, the car tells me it will start charging at 2:15am for a 6:30am departure. I'm getting ready in the morning and open the phone app a little after 6 to check progress. I see "waking up the car" and I know what's coming: "Charging started" and +4 hours to go. It didn't start as planned. Fortunately, I had enough charge to make it to a SC on the way and charge there.

I haven't checked yet to see if scheduled charge still works like it used to, but I'll be sticking to that for the near future assuming it does.

What's the difference the car will automatically apply the friction brake or the driver will apply it? They can always make that a feature that drivers can disable.

Not all Tesla brakes are the same. Older cars do not have electronic brakes and do not have the same capabilities to help automatically slow the car. They provide "hill hold" only by utilizing the parking brake.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
They provide "hill hold" only by utilizing the parking brake.

No, you'd hear that. The electric parking brake is only used for Park mode. The pre-AP cars had a hidden hold mode that had no Instrument Cluster (IC) indication (like the H in later cars), and it would only hold for 1 second. I think it was some kind of "line lock" thing. You'd do a deeper press on the pedal, and when you released you'd have 1 second to get on the accelerator before the car would roll back. I had a 2013 P85+ that did this.

Not all Tesla brakes are the same. Older cars do not have electronic brakes and do not have the same capabilities to help automatically slow the car. They provide "hill hold" only by utilizing the parking brake.
The new hold mode doesn’t use the friction brake to slow to a stop, it uses the regen of the permanent magnet motors of raven s / model 3. Once it stops, it engages the friction brake hold to keep it still.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Drove from Baltimore MD to Charleston SC on Saturday and I have to say that 2019.36.2.1 on my MCU1 AP1 model S has by far the best autopilot performance I've ever seen. It was nearly flawless except for a couple of small issues at night in the rain where it was hard for me to see the lane lines too.

It was much better through winding highways at high speeds. It went past on and off ramps with no issues. It handled heavy traffic including cars and trucks cutting in really well. Even lane changes (manually requested of course) were better.

I was really struck how much better it was than any version before!

It made the long drive super easy.

Reactions: drklain
Drove from Baltimore MD to Charleston SC on Saturday and I have to say that 2019.36.2.1 on my MCU1 AP1 model S has by far the best autopilot performance I've ever seen. It was nearly flawless except for a couple of small issues at night in the rain where it was hard for me to see the lane lines too.

It was much better through winding highways at high speeds. It went past on and off ramps with no issues. It handled heavy traffic including cars and trucks cutting in really well. Even lane changes (manually requested of course) were better.

I was really struck how much better it was than any version before!

It made the long drive super easy.
I still have to stay on top of mine. One reason is I don't want to alarm other folks when it bounces around looking for lane borders.

I got to experience the "move in lane for trucks" for the first time a lot on a drive to Chicago. I think to the passengers, the abrupt movements are annoying. They should be smoother. Feels like the car is confused more than smart. I'm on 2019.36.2.1.

I really really wish there was an option to turn that off. To me, it's way too annoying to not only passengers, but i personally hate it.

Sure! I'm not against it per se.
I just wish it would be selectable in the UI so that both views could be accommodated.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I think part of it depends on the area/roads/traffic. For me, when there's light traffic with few trucks, it's mostly okay, though I think the adjustments are a little too abrupt. When there is moderate or heavy traffic with many trucks, the car feels like it's steering like a drunk, swerving abruptly from one side of the lane to another while passing trucks. I actually disengage AS in those instances because it's really annoying.