Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2 - got smart summon & ‘hands off’ summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disappointed that they haven’t rolled out the hold function
They have rolled out the hold function... for raven and model 3 only though, due to their permanent magnet motors. Doing so for our models would be making an "active" feature that uses energy instead of one that saves it. It's possible, so who knows if they will or not...

It wouldn’t use any more energy than us manually stepping on the brake, so why not.
Stopping the vehicle with the induction motor would use energy before anything happens with a brake. It's a ridiculously small amount in the grand scheme of things but compared to the permanent magnets which actually restore energy by stopping the vehicle completely, they cannot advertise it as an energy saving feature the way they currently are. Just pure semantics. Personally I'd love to see it in our models as well as I hate seeing more and more discrepancy in features between the models when they could be feature matched. It also means a different driving experience moving from one to other. Hopefully they will just do it in time eventually and it's ultra low priority right now.

Teslas have two gears, forward and reverse.

i think @paulp is indicating the forward and reverse are a functions of the motor and are not gears, although the selector is easily confused as the same as D and R in an ICE auto. Tesla I believe have reduction gears to change the rpm of the motor to that required to drive the wheels sensibly but no gears to fix the inadequacies of ICE engines propelling vehicles.

Stopping the vehicle with the induction motor would use energy before anything happens with a brake. It's a ridiculously small amount in the grand scheme of things but compared to the permanent magnets which actually restore energy by stopping the vehicle completely, they cannot advertise it as an energy saving feature the way they currently are. Just pure semantics. Personally I'd love to see it in our models as well as I hate seeing more and more discrepancy in features between the models when they could be feature matched. It also means a different driving experience moving from one to other. Hopefully they will just do it in time eventually and it's ultra low priority right now.
Wrong. Very wrong. Ever use your TACC in stop and go traffic? It uses the brake. One pedal driving in the S/X will use the brake.

i think @paulp is indicating the forward and reverse are a functions of the motor and are not gears, although the selector is easily confused as the same as D and R in an ICE auto. Tesla I believe have reduction gears to change the rpm of the motor to that required to drive the wheels sensibly but no gears to fix the inadequacies of ICE engines propelling vehicles.
That is my understanding. There is a fixed reduction gear around 10:1. There are no gear changes when going forward to reverse.

I meant stopping the car with the brake, just as Autopilot or my foot does.
And the brake doesn't move by itself either; it still needs energy. Don't get me wrong - there's no reason they can't do it, it's just a completely different calibration to what permanent magnet motor vehicles do which is simple. I want the feature as much as anyone too.

Last edited:
I suspect the reason one pedal stopping hasn't/won't come to induction motor cars is due to accuracy.
Programmatically adjusting the motors is much more accurate than programmatically applying the brake. Every cars brakes would have a slightly different braking profile depending on the state of the pads/rotors/calipers. No feedback to the computer on braking pressure etc.
Whereas using the motors alone you have immediate feedback to the computer about rotation speed, resistance etc.

So basically using the brake might be too jerky, and even if it was a solvable problem they may not have considered it worth the effort.

Sure, we know D and R aren't actual mechanical 'gears', but that is the accepted term used for a selected mode of travel of a vehicle. And yes there is an actual mechanical reduction gear. Semantics.