Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Release Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: Techniques
I got an update notification around 1030ish last night. I was already in bed so I didn't action. I tried to install via the app this morning and it gave an error saying no update is available.

I went to the car and it wasn't pending there any longer either. Rebooted the car 1.5 hrs ago and still nothing.

Did this happen to any of you as well?
Hey someone also had that happen to them and they called Tesla. Rep said engineers halted the rollout.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Got the same thing...notification, but nothing to install...but, teslafi is reporting that installs are still happening
Yeah but it’s much much slower than the wide roll out yesterday. Confused not sure what to believe someone saying engineers pulled the update but Teslafi reporting updates continuing. Either Teslafi just updating slower or they decided to continue the roll out.

Yeah but it’s much much slower than the wide roll out yesterday. Confused not sure what to believe someone saying engineers pulled the update but Teslafi reporting updates continuing. Either Teslafi just updating slower or they decided to continue the roll out.

There are some bugs. Music still skips, the HUD computer reboots randomly (started with 2019.5.15), and someone claims the HVAC starts and heats up the car - I think this is the sun :p

There are some bugs. Music still skips, the HUD computer reboots randomly (started with 2019.5.15), and someone claims the HVAC starts and heats up the car - I think this is the sun :p

My list of annoying bugs in 2019.5.15 compared to 2019.8.3:

Reverse Camera "Black Screen" bug: Not fixed, but improved. Instead of being a black screen for up to 10 seconds, it's switches over in 2 seconds or less.

Car sleeping issues: Not fixed. My car will not goto sleep for at least 2 hours when it is plugged into the wall connector.

Bluetooth Car Key Recognition: Seems to be fixed. My car in 2019.5.15 would only randomly open specific doors/trunk/charger cable when I walk up to my car after a longer sleep.

Repeater Camera/Sentry Mode Video corruption: I haven't reviewd my video yet, but other people are reporting that it's still happening in 2019.8.3.

Autopilot Lane "Ping Pong/Aborted" Lane Changes: I haven't tested this yet. Reports from other people are conflicting on this one.

One thing I did notice was the visualization on the screen for other cars around you now displays cars further in the distance. Before it would only display cars like 5-7 car lengths in front of you. I noticed yesterday it was picking up cars half a block away from my car (albeit very small on the screen).

Reverse Camera "Black Screen" bug: Not fixed, but improved. Instead of being a black screen for up to 10 seconds, it's switches over in 2 seconds or less.

This has gotten worse for me. Never had any issues before 2019.5.15 and onwards.

Car sleeping issues: Not fixed. My car will not goto sleep for at least 2 hours when it is plugged into the wall connector.

Sentry mode and dog mode code at work? I know the car never sleeps if you engage sentry mode. TeslaFi clocks the car sleeping between 2AM and 6AM when it finishes charging at home.

Bluetooth Car Key Recognition: Seems to be fixed. My car in 2019.5.15 would only randomly open specific doors/trunk/charger cable when I walk up to my car after a longer sleep.

Never had any issues with the phone app. I always turn on my app and pre-condition before leaving work. Now TeslaFi does it at the scheduled times.

Repeater Camera/Sentry Mode Video corruption: I haven't reviewd my video yet, but other people are reporting that it's still happening in 2019.8.3.

Make sure you use Windows to format FAT32 at 32gbs on the partition. Third party formatters cause corruption issues. There's a thread in the Model 3 forum on how to do this.

Autopilot Lane "Ping Pong/Aborted" Lane Changes: I haven't tested this yet. Reports from other people are conflicting on this one.

One thing I did notice was the visualization on the screen for other cars around you now displays cars further in the distance. Before it would only display cars like 5-7 car lengths in front of you. I noticed yesterday it was picking up cars half a block away from my car (albeit very small on the screen).

This happens quite a bit depending on the situation. I had it take me on a wave of lane change and cancels going into the Renforth express to collectors a couple of days ago because of the construction lines. I took over to ensure Tesla gets the report. Quite unsafe imho. Also at the bottom of the Gardiner to DVP ramp, the lines are faded and the car will swerve to the right to stay in the center of the two lines - DO NOT USE NoA and AP here.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
This has gotten worse for me. Never had any issues before 2019.5.15 and onwards.

Sentry mode and dog mode code at work? I know the car never sleeps if you engage sentry mode. TeslaFi clocks the car sleeping between 2AM and 6AM when it finishes charging at home.

Never had any issues with the phone app. I always turn on my app and pre-condition before leaving work. Now TeslaFi does it at the scheduled times.

Make sure you use Windows to format FAT32 at 32gbs on the partition. Third party formatters cause corruption issues. There's a thread in the Model 3 forum on how to do this.

This happens quite a bit depending on the situation. I had it take me on a wave of lane change and cancels going into the Renforth express to collectors a couple of days ago because of the construction lines. I took over to ensure Tesla gets the report. Quite unsafe imho. Also at the bottom of the Gardiner to DVP ramp, the lines are faded and the car will swerve to the right to stay in the center of the two lines - DO NOT USE NoA and AP here.

For the video corruption, I think he means the video sometimes gets garbled up, or is simply 0 bytes (probably due to some encoding issue). The USB itself doesn't get corrupted... at least that's what happened to me (and mine was formatted as FAT32 @ 32GB as well). The car always had the red dot indicating it was recording through all this.

For the video corruption, I think he means the video sometimes gets garbled up, or is simply 0 bytes (probably due to some encoding issue). The USB itself doesn't get corrupted... at least that's what happened to me (and mine was formatted as FAT32 @ 32GB as well). The car always had the red dot indicating it was recording through all this.

That is correct. My guess it's a problem with how Tesla has implemented their video encoding codec in terms of encoding non-movement frames.

In sentry mode, the car doesn't sleep at all (which is expected). When i'm at home, I don't enable sentry mode so it's not related to that. I believe it's related to the 2019.5.15 bug where people see that their car is charging every 10 mins or so.

I got the update a few days ago. My MP3+ definitely has more acceleration. From a stop to around 10mph, the traction control is slightly overwhelmed with a slight fishtail. It is more jarring and sudden and less gradual..more like my S was...but more so. .I can easily tell it has more power., more than I would have expected with a 5%, 27.5 HP increase . At 30 mph, when floored it seems to be the most noticeable.,,,sudden and nothing subtle. The wheels still spin for a fraction of a second. It definitely did not do this before the update.

I did not expect the update to be this noticeable and really wonder if my pre-update power draw was somehow set too low since I rarely got below 3.6 0-60. I am going to vbox it this weekend but my wife was shocked when she drove it after the update.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Really? I thought vehicle with premium connectivity is able to receive OTA. Thanks for the tips. I will try WiFi next time.
Yeah the description of premium connectivity states that you will receive OTA while with standard connectivity you must be connected to wifi. However, some updates come with map updates that are big and must be downloaded through Wifi. Also, recently Tesla priorities wifi connection for updates because they themselves are telling people to connect to wifi for the update.

Yeah the description of premium connectivity states that you will receive OTA while with standard connectivity you must be connected to wifi. However, some updates come with map updates that are big and must be downloaded through Wifi. Also, recently Tesla priorities wifi connection for updates because they themselves are telling people to connect to wifi for the update.

Didn't i read somewhere Tesla stated that they would stop delivering updates via LTE all together? I forgot where I read that tidbit.

Got 2019.8.4 as well. About to check if the release notes are different then what others on 8.3 have reported.

Update: nope, the same. Just Peak Power is new in the release notes.
Yeah got the update as well. Maybe they found a bad bug in 8.3 which is why they stalled the roll out and now 8.4 will be wide release.
Teslafi is reporting only Canadians getting it so far though.