Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Stronger Regen Over 30 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP has a AWD non-P.
Oops, I misread that (this is why we use "D", folks, and leave the 3 letter acronym for RWD :p). Thanks for the correction.

I haven't noticed any difference in regen on my LR D. Although I didn't pay much attention to it and was driving in a manner a lot different than usual since Sunday so probably not in a good place to judge it.

P.S. All this stuff about weather leading to this, shouldn't that be reflected in the display? Like if regen was being limited before the green bar should have been pressing up against dots?

Reactions: Runt8
Or maybe his car was suffering from something causing the limited regen and this version fixed it for him.
Actually my car didn't have "limited regen", since below 30 MPH the regen was quite strong. It was that there was very, very little regen over 30 MPH with my car prior to the 2019.8.3 release under any conditions of temperature or weather. With the 2019.8.3 release, the regen is immediately noticeable upon reducing the accelerator pedal depression at speeds from 30 to 75 that I have tried so far. Also, with the accelerator pedal all the way up, the regen progressively builds as the speed decreases in a fairly linear fashion. Previously, it was like a switch was flipped when the speed dropped below 30 MPH, and the amount of regen increased rapidly. The regen below 30 MPH feels the same now as it did prior to 2019.8.3, but there's no more sudden change in the rate of increase, as there was previously, since the car is already slowing done at a significant rate.

Now, it is possible that there was something particular about my car that caused regen to not operate to a significant degree above 30 MPH prior to version 2019.8.3. If that is the case, it seems to have been a fairly common occurrence as indicated by the posts of others in this thread who have noticed a similar change.

Last edited:
Oops, I misread that (this is why we use "D", folks, and leave the 3 letter acronym for RWD :p). Thanks for the correction.

I haven't noticed any difference in regen on my LR D. Although I didn't pay much attention to it and was driving in a manner a lot different than usual since Sunday so probably not in a good place to judge it.

P.S. All this stuff about weather leading to this, shouldn't that be reflected in the display? Like if regen was being limited before the green bar should have been pressing up against dots?
I have often seen the limited regen message when the car is cold. When that message is displayed the regen is limited at all speeds, including below 30 MPH. The difference has typically not been subtle. The behavior I described in the OP is on warmer days with no limited regen message displayed.

We have a P3D (Stealth) and a Long-Range RWD that I switch back and forth between regularly. Any difference in regen amount is so small that I don't need to adjust the timing of when I ease off the throttle in different locations. They behave very similarly. I imagine if you hooked instruments up and measured it precisely you would see a difference but this difference doesn't play into normal driving much, if at all because the regen is normally modulated as needed, not slammed on full which would result in uncomfortably quick and sudden deceleration whether in AWD or RWD.

For that reason, I could never figure out all the teeth gnashing about reduced regen to begin with.
I have the same setup and completely concur with the regen observations.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I noticed that I seemed to lose my bass as well after the last update. It definitely does not sound the same at all.

How do I reboot it? Or should I have a pro do this?
Reboot is easily performed by the owner. Simply press and hold both thumbwheel controls on the steering wheel until you see the Tesla logo on the display, then release both. Full details can be found in the owner's manual.

It has been recommended to perform a reboot after installing an update.

I came to the forum to post about feeling the stronger regen and higher pitch motor whine during regen on 8.3. Glad to hear that other people are experiencing this as well. I believe this is contributing to the increased efficiency I am seeing with my P3D+ as well.

Also, the higher pitch sound/motor whine seems to be coming from the front motor.

Reactions: dusdev
Reboot is easily performed by the owner. Simply press and hold both thumbwheel controls on the steering wheel until you see the Tesla logo on the display, then release both. Full details can be found in the owner's manual.

It has been recommended to perform a reboot after installing an update.

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for the help and advice. I'm on it :)