Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.5 Charger Handle Won't Unlock Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed 8.6 as well and I'm not seeing any differences either. Maybe it fixed the reboot issue. I had zero prior to 8.5 and then several after. I will be grateful if this minor update resolved that issue.

So today was next day after 8.6 update and to my pleasant surprise, the charger handle double tap button opened the charger point!

However, the whole MCU just shut off and rebooted earlier today before I started driving on Park right after I had the navigation loaded with the destination.

I had also read there would be Autosteet red light warning while on autopilot in residential roads, and I tried and tried, didn’t work. The new automatic lane change also now requires me to truly touch the steering wheel to auto change lanes instead of just pulling the autopilot stick under the larger windshield wiper stick.

2019.8.5 here and it works fine. Saw a post elsewhere where .6 supposedly fixed this issue, so the varied responses are weird.

Love how we’re the QA now, though...

We have gotten the red light warning on the 3, haven’t tested on the X. Note you need to be running AP and ‘going through a red lihht’. All it does is tell you ‘dummy, I see a red light, and I’m not stopping for it, that’s your job’. :D

2019.8.5 on both our MX and M3 and both charge door will unlock with button on change handle. For those of you with MX and 8.5 with charger won't unlock, do you have AP 2 or 2.5? From the signatures on the posts that said it is not working, it seems like most of those are on AP 2?

Just installed the latest and port door working with HPWC button.
Make sure you scroll-wheel main screen & cluster reset after updating.
As Ramiel said above, same release notes.

old |v2019.8.5|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

My 2017 X100D matches this: |v2019.8.5|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

And my Gen1 UMC that can with the car. Would seem odd that the HPWC works differently than the UMC but stranger things ...

I just received 2019.8.6 yesterday and the Mobile Charger button is working again: it will once again open the charge port door from the charger button. Guess I'll cancel my SC appointment. Thanks to OP for starting this thread and folks that mentioned 8.6 fixed the problem. I had not considered it was a defective software update that caused the problem. This thread saved me a trip to the SC.

With this bug, I did learn how easy it is to manually open the charge port door. Just push the front edge of the charge port door a little bit and the door will open. So once I figured that out, the dead charger button was not much of a problem. Is nice to have it working once again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just received 2019.8.6 yesterday and the Mobile Charger button is working again: it will once again open the charge port door from the charger button. Guess I'll cancel my SC appointment. Thanks to OP for starting this thread and folks that mentioned 8.6 fixed the problem. I had not considered it was a defective software update that caused the problem. This thread saved me a trip to the SC.

With this bug, I did learn how easy it is to manually open the charge port door. Just push the front edge of the charge port door a little bit and the door will open. So once I figured that out, the dead charger button was not much of a problem. Is nice to have it working once again.
Help me out here because I am probably not understanding something. First, good news you seem to have an issue fixed by the update. My confusion is why was that issue worth wasting your time scheduling to go to the service center. There are other ways to open the charge port door aren't there? :confused:

• Disagree
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I figured the charger had a problem so I wanted to have them look at it (replace/repair it) while still under warranty. No idea the length of the warranty on the Mobile Charger (no idea if it is same as car). I've waited on other cars to have a minor problem fixed - then missed the warranty window and had to live with the problem forever.

Why do you care whether I made an appointment - is it your mission to identify any potentially frivolous appointments and save the world from them? Thanks for your concern...

Last edited:
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Not sure what you mean by UMC, but upgrading to v2019.8.6 fixed charging port door for both HPWC & Supercharging for me.
The UMC "Mobile Connector" comes with the car (NEMA 14-50 wall plug). Corded Mobile Connector

The 60amp High Powered Wall Connector (HPWC) hardwired is diff. Gloss Black Wall Connector

The standard ones button that comes with the car still opens my X100D charger port.

umc-comparison-sm.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
the charger handle double tap button opened the charger

I don't think you need to double-tap it, a single press suffices. (At least on my gen 1 UC).

For me on the .5 release, the charger handle works intermittently. Some days yes, some days no.

The charging screen's button will always open it; but frequently the charging screen comes up entirely blank, and needs closing and re-opening. That's been like that for a long time (months? over a year?)

The charging screen's button will always open it; but frequently the charging screen comes up entirely blank, and needs closing and re-opening. That's been like that for a long time (months? over a year?)

I've had this and I've also had random letters disappear from the center screen. For example, when I supercharge, I see three different numbers (charge rate, miles added, and power rate) but all of the labels are missing.