Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a strong Wifi connection in my garage. I've tried rebooting, powering off, disconnecting and reconnecting Wifi...nothing. Our other Model 3 gets an update the first day it's released every time. It's quite frustrating. I had Tesla push out an update to me last week but all I got was an upgrade from 5.14 to 5.15.
Disconnect/reconnect WiFi is just toggling it off and on? If so, you might try forgetting your WiFi network through WiFi settings then rejoin it. I was in the same boat as you and got a long awaited update within a couple hours after doing this.

To further show the randomness of updates, I received 8.5 a little while ago on my Model 3. Two days ago my husband's Model S got it and then one day later he got 8.6. I'm still waiting for that one. Cars are parked next to each other in the driveway.

I have been experiencing brief rear screen black outs on 8.5 that last night for a period of time became a totally useless camera. Rebooted twice, filed bug reports and let it sit parked in the driveway. Came out maybe an hour later and it was back to normal. I hadn't looked at my TeslaCam/SentryMode footage in a few days so checked that out and was surprised that over the last few days the amount of green screen portions I was seeing dropped dramatically. My RecentClips 1-hr buffer was infact fine with zero green and so was the latest two SentryMode saved clips that were recorded. Very excited about this.

USB corrupts much less if it all but 2 reboots today on 2019.8.5 Model 3. NoA problematic in trying to jump 5 lanes from carpool to exit in less than < 0.7-0.5 miles, hard to do in LA. Hopefully they can add some more distance so the car doesn't miss the exit in 8.6

Can't wait to see what 8.6 brings......

I've had to reboot my car three times since Saturday due to two black screens and one glitchy screen. Hoping this 2019.8.6 fixes that.

Reactions: cybergates
Or you could climb out the window too if you're already sitting in the car :D

OK, I’ve messed around with the “Power Off” function enough to conclude that it just does not work, at least not in my car using 2019.5.15. I’ve tried everything I can to hit the button and then tip toe away from the car trying not to wake it up. Nothing has caused the car to do anything remotely resembling a power down of the system. At least holding down the two scroll wheels causes the computer to reboot. The power off function does absolutely nothing.

If anyone has gotten it to work, please share with me what your secret was. I can’t believe the things this car has put me through in an attempt to get a lousy software update.

Reactions: OPRCE
I’m staring to think Tesla is punishing me for not purchasing Autopilot by keeping me on 5.15. My other M3 has EAP and FSD and gets the new releases the first day they come out.
We have 2 3s with FSD. One on 8.5 and the other on 5.15. If it's a punishment for not purchasing AP to stay on 5.15, then they have the targeted wrong since it's affecting FSD cars as well. ;)

OK, I’ve messed around with the “Power Off” function enough to conclude that it just does not work, at least not in my car using 2019.5.15. I’ve tried everything I can to hit the button and then tip toe away from the car trying not to wake it up. Nothing has caused the car to do anything remotely resembling a power down of the system. At least holding down the two scroll wheels causes the computer to reboot. The power off function does absolutely nothing.

If anyone has gotten it to work, please share with me what your secret was. I can’t believe the things this car has put me through in an attempt to get a lousy software update.
Be sure you're literally not doing anything, foot on brake, pressing buttons, etc. It'll bring up a warning then you tap the button to power off. If you don't get that then you should make a service center appointment for them to troubleshoot.

Be sure you're literally not doing anything, foot on brake, pressing buttons, etc. It'll bring up a warning then you tap the button to power off. If you don't get that then you should make a service center appointment for them to troubleshoot.

I’ve done all that. I get the Power Off button every time. I hit it and the screen goes blank. But the car is still clearly on. It doesn’t behave any differently than if you just get out of the car and walk away. It still responds to touch, still locks when my IPhone is far enough away to break the Bluetooth connection, still responds instantly to touch on the screen, still is accessible via the app, etc. There is nothing to indicate that the car is in any different state than when you park and walk away. Just opening the door causes the screen to come on and the music to start playing. No tapping on the brakes required to activate anything.

Am I the only one who thinks this is nuts? At least when I turn my IPhone off I can clearly see the screen rebooting and the Apple logo appears. So far in this thread I’ve been told to power off by reaching through an open window, sit in the car for three minutes without moving, or walk away without touching anything. I feel like I’m in the middle of a cult worship session where everyone keeps telling me I’m supposed to reach a state of zen by staring into the light but the light never shows up for me. This is nuts. Why is it so difficult to power this car off?

I’ve done all that. I get the Power Off button every time. I hit it and the screen goes blank. But the car is still clearly on. It doesn’t behave any differently than if you just get out of the car and walk away. It still responds to touch, still locks when my IPhone is far enough away to break the Bluetooth connection, still responds instantly to touch on the screen, still is accessible via the app, etc. There is nothing to indicate that the car is in any different state than when you park and walk away. Just opening the door causes the screen to come on and the music to start playing. No tapping on the brakes required to activate anything.

Am I the only one who thinks this is nuts? At least when I turn my IPhone off I can clearly see the screen rebooting and the Apple logo appears. So far in this thread I’ve been told to power off by reaching through an open window, sit in the car for three minutes without moving, or walk away without touching anything. I feel like I’m in the middle of a cult worship session where everyone keeps telling me I’m supposed to reach a state of zen by staring into the light but the light never shows up for me. This is nuts. Why is it so difficult to power this car off?

make a SC appointment

How long have you had your M3s? Has one vehicle always lagged behind the other in updates or has it varied over time?
Both since 3Q 2018. Usually they had similar versions but one held at 5.15 while the other progressed through 8.xx.

Update: Today the 5.15 one updated to 8.5, so they now have matching versions.

Thats correct... this is exactly how the Power Off function works....

Yep, parked in garage every night right next to wifi access point. I've always gotten quick updates on my MS, but haven't gotten any updates for my Model 3 in a while now. I have an appointment Friday at the service center so hopefully they update me to the latest at that point. I joke that I'm being penalized for not buying auto pilot. :p

I didn't buy their overpriced Autopilot either and I'm on 8.6 :)

Reactions: Perry
Got this update late last week, as noted earlier in this thread (coming straight from 19.5.15). For the first time ever, got in the car, the screen came on for a few seconds then it went dark. Waited for a while to see if it would reset by itself and it didn't. I opened the door and shut it and it then rebooted...