Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Firmware Updates for AP 2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like more instances of Surround View Limited (repeater cam?) issues with AP2.0 being reported in 2019.8.3. But yeah, while roughly 1/3 of the AP2.5+ fleet got .8.3, AP2.0 leveled off sooner, and that difference is statistically significant. For whatever reason they're not releasing it to AP2.0 as quickly.

i went from 2018.48.12 to 2019.8.3 today on my late 2016 S

I posted in the other thread, but I'll just copy and paste into this thread since I'd love to hear from fellow AP2.0 folks (for the record I have service appointment scheduled for 1 Apr to look at this):

I just got the update moving from 2018.50.6 to the 2019.8.3 and after it updated like others mentioned, no release note PLUS now I have an error when I put it into "D" I get the error "Blindspot Detection Limited Visibility..." with the yellow warning triangle. So no cars display to the sides of me.

I've wiped the lens of the side repeater cameras and even the B pillars but to no avail.
errormessages-png.391198

When in Park, no error messages.

Put foot on brake, shift to Drive: Yellow Exclamation on Instrument Panel/Gauge cluster stating "Blindspot Detection Limited, Camera Visibility Reduced". On the MCU screen, there's a red ! mark in a circle. If clicked, it states the same thing but with a Red Triangle.

I had no error messages this morning on the drive into work prior to the update. I decided to have the car update at work while sitting in the parking lot. Came out to go to drive to lunch, and surprise! No more blindspot car images and a warning message on MCU and IP displays.

Also, if autopilot is engaged the error message goes away but it doesn't show cars behind or to the side of you. If you use the turn signal while in autopilot another yellow triangle message displays that auto lane change is not available. This means you'll have to manually disengage autopilot, change lanes, then re-engage. This also obviously means no NOA.

Car is Oct 2016 75D with EAP/FSD AP2.0

ALSO: Phantom braking (brakes for no reason, not predicatable like the occasional overpass or bright sunlight issues) and hesitant performance with cars showing up from on-ramps.

Bottom line, be glad you don't have 2019.8.3 if you're on AP2... it's not like we're even getting Sentry mode for our troubles!

I have the identical problem with my S P100D AP2.0 -- seems like quite a widespread problem on AP2.0 cars. Most importantly, has anyone, including Tesla, figured out a solution to this problem?

I'm on the road but wanted to post an update. After a nearly 2.5 hour long service visit, my blindspot detection problem has been remedied!

After just over an hour into the service appointment the tech and service writer wrapped up and said it was my driver's side side marker camera unit and swapped it out and said that cleared the error. So the family and I got into the car, I put my foot on the brake, shifted to drive and.... The error was back!!!

Not wanting to make this visit worthless, I got out and said "The error is still there, would you like to see it?" the tech was right there and was bamboozled because he just cleared it and said everything was working. So he said he would take it back in, and was he was getting in it, I said that maybe Tesla at large figured something out and released 8.4 as a hot fix to correct the bugs.

He took it back for another hour and worked on pulling the logs and was able to stage and force the update to download to 8.4 I didn't have the time to stick around to wait for 8.4 to install but whatever he did, I was still on 8.3 and no longer has the blindspot detection warnings anymore and could even see all the lane markings on a multi lane highway.

So now I sit at this hotel with my car in the parking lot showing the update notification at the top of the MCU screen letting me know it's ready for 8.4... The service center (Richmond) is really curious to see if 8.4 is going to fix my issue (blindspot) but I don't know how to tell them that whatever they did, it's fixed...

For now. Going to wait to install 8.4 until tomorrow because I have a bit of driving to do tomorrow and I'm loving having the blindspot stuff working again

I'm on the road but wanted to post an update. After a nearly 2.5 hour long service visit, my blindspot detection problem has been remedied!

After just over an hour into the service appointment the tech and service writer wrapped up and said it was my driver's side side marker camera unit and swapped it out and said that cleared the error. So the family and I got into the car, I put my foot on the brake, shifted to drive and.... The error was back!!!

Not wanting to make this visit worthless, I got out and said "The error is still there, would you like to see it?" the tech was right there and was bamboozled because he just cleared it and said everything was working. So he said he would take it back in, and was he was getting in it, I said that maybe Tesla at large figured something out and released 8.4 as a hot fix to correct the bugs.

He took it back for another hour and worked on pulling the logs and was able to stage and force the update to download to 8.4 I didn't have the time to stick around to wait for 8.4 to install but whatever he did, I was still on 8.3 and no longer has the blindspot detection warnings anymore and could even see all the lane markings on a multi lane highway.

So now I sit at this hotel with my car in the parking lot showing the update notification at the top of the MCU screen letting me know it's ready for 8.4... The service center (Richmond) is really curious to see if 8.4 is going to fix my issue (blindspot) but I don't know how to tell them that whatever they did, it's fixed...

For now. Going to wait to install 8.4 until tomorrow because I have a bit of driving to do tomorrow and I'm loving having the blindspot stuff working again
Wow, what a saga. Hmmm ...
1) Seems like replacing the camera didn't fix it.
2) Whatever else he did, did fix it.
3) Let me know if the error comes back with 8.4 ?

I'll call our local service center tomorrow, and see what they come up with. Thanks for the feedback.

My update to 19.8 today was directly to 19.8.4. It has a blank page of release notes, just like 19.8.3 from what I hear.
There certainly is no problem with any of the blind-spot functions, either old ones or the ones added with this release.
I did get a phantom brake with a lane change on Auto Steer. It didn't recur. I try not to get upset by little glitches like that because they almost always fade away rapidly after every update.
Leaving the Release Notes blank is certainly weird, though. Programming is complicated, but providing release notes could be done by a chimpanzee with a week of training.
If the new blind-spot warnings are all there is in this update for AP2, I wonder why it took so long to release. And I would dearly love an explanation of why Sentry Mode cannot be implemented in HW2.

Our 2017 MS 60 had the same blank screen with one of the 2018.4x updates. Rebooting didn't correct the problem. I found if I scrolled the blank screen, it would display the release notes. I didn't attempt to see if the owner's manual had the same problem. The blank screen problem went away when we got the next update and we have not seen this issue since. We are currently on 2019.8.2 and have Dog Mode & Blind Spot.
Or you just simply wait for about a minute. Scrolling was probably a coincidence. Often people get impatient and close the update info screen if nothing shows after just a few seconds. Just let it set for a minute and most of the time, the text will appear, especially if the update was very recent.

So I finally got 2019.8.4, blank screen on the release notes, no help scrolling, also not clear whether I got Dog Mode or Blind Spot Chime, but didn't have that much time to look through all the screens before this mornings commute. I want to note that has been a frequent experience with firmware updates that my Homelink appears to have been messed up and not working. Sometimes a reboot fixes that sometimes its a bug that Tesla acknowledges that is repaired on the next update.

So, a bit more scrolling finally got the release notes, auto-folding mirrors work well, have not really seen the blind spot chime work yet, but once again Homelink has been partially corrupted, no close door command upon leaving the garage though it still works upon return. Not the end of the world but annoying. Will try to submit bug report tomorrow when I pull out of the garage. I don't see many Homelink comments on this forum but I suspect I am not the only one who has experienced the wonkiness of this feature.

Wow, what a saga. Hmmm ...
1) Seems like replacing the camera didn't fix it.
2) Whatever else he did, did fix it.
3) Let me know if the error comes back with 8.4 ?

I'll call our local service center tomorrow, and see what they come up with. Thanks for the feedback.

So I actually did the 8.4 update during the middle of the roadtrip during one of our overnight layovers. I took a deep breath of relief as I went out to my car the next morning sat in, shifted to drive and saw no blindspot errors.

8.4 is actually really good. The "red alert" blindspot line with the offending car shows really well. My release notes display. And overall things seem stable. A bit of phantom braking here and there, but nothing too bad. More or less, the major gripe is with the car being too nice and giving way to cars on your right even if they aren't trying to get in your lane.

Reactions: TrafficEng
So, a bit more scrolling finally got the release notes, auto-folding mirrors work well, have not really seen the blind spot chime work yet, but once again Homelink has been partially corrupted, no close door command upon leaving the garage though it still works upon return. Not the end of the world but annoying. Will try to submit bug report tomorrow when I pull out of the garage. I don't see many Homelink comments on this forum but I suspect I am not the only one who has experienced the wonkiness of this feature.
My homelink has some issues too. I just assumed I needed to reset it but just haven’t gotten around to it.