Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X Long Range Raven - HV battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue as everyone listed here. 2019 Raven Model X Performance. Driving home got error message Acceleration and Power Reduced and the car would not regen or accelerate above 150kw. Then get home turn off and try to restart and get an avalanche of error codes and car will not start. Towed to service center and stated HV battery replacement required. Now I am waiting on an ETA for that fix.
Battery took 5 days to get replaced and was replaced with a remanufactured same Rev E as the original. Same range when fully charged of 285 for my performance Raven 2019 Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
We're likely being added to this distinguished list. Aug 2019 Raven X with 75K miles. Just finished supercharging yesterday and about 1 mile down the road same issues as the rest above with reduced power, acceleration/top speed reduced, etc. Wouldn't restart after we stopped. Was able to get off interstate and fortunately was "only" 97 miles from service center in hometown so AAA covered tow. Hoping to hear confirmation in next day or two that it's the HV battery needing replacement. Car has been nearly flawless otherwise.

I've seen a couple more on reddit.

I think at this point we all assume that there's something with the Raven packs that is causing premature failure. Maybe not widespread, but still a higher-than-normal rate of failure.

It also seems to be all 2019s impacted so far.

I haven't seen any of these issues with the -G or -H packs. Mostly -E revisions. Don't even think I've seen -F packs?

So I wouldn't say "Raven" packs per se -- but the earlier -E revision seems to be having a higher-than-normal rate of failure here.

wow this is crazy. I have the 'standard range' raven, and *knock on fake leather*, no issues with my HV battery thus far. In-fact, according to Tessie, my range loss since new is fairly low. it was showing 98% health around 45k miles. now it's showing 96% health around 52k miles.

Reactions: dmurphy
wow this is crazy. I have the 'standard range' raven, and *knock on fake leather*, no issues with my HV battery thus far. In-fact, according to Tessie, my range loss since new is fairly low. it was showing 98% health around 45k miles. now it's showing 96% health around 52k miles.
Health didn't appear to be an indicator for mine.

Mine was quite healthy with no warning indicators, until one day it suddenly wasn't.

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Health didn't appear to be an indicator for mine.

Mine was quite healthy with no warning indicators, until one day it suddenly wasn't.
Same here in terms of it was all good until everything lit up. We were just shy of 6% degradation over 4 years and 75K miles (Version E pack as well). Ours didn't get supercharged frequently which presumably helped with the modest degradation we experienced. Likely won't hear more until later this week as the SC is scheduled out a few days.

What I'm left wrestling with is whether this was a bad batch of packs where it won't likely re-occur with replacement packs or whether it's a 50-75K mile occurrence which changes my calculus.

I didn't know there was a J pack, heh

This is a failure story but also a success story, really. I know the batteries shouldn't fail ot begin with but the "better than new" replacement is something you don't read about from the FUD pushers

Last edited:
Final update. Got the car back today. They replaced the E Pack with a J revision Pack. Rated miles went from 306 at 100% to 337 now. We’ll see if it holds and if so that’s a nice bump and is above rated miles at time of delivery.

I have been scouring the internet to find out what the last revision of the Model X battery pack was for 2020 (mid-late 2020 specifically). This is the first I’ve read about a J revision pack. I’m curious if anyone has any information on what build dates got these “J” packs or if anyone knows what the last revision was for model year 2020 model x’s. I believe there were “H” batteries built for model X in 2020, I’ve not seen anything regarding “I” revision batteries, and again this is the first I’ve read about a “J revision pack.

I’m currently considering a 2020 model X and I know there was supposed to be an increase in wire thickness that allowed for 250 kw charging rates on Model X, but I’ve not seen anywhere that this is the case for 2020 model X’s. I believe there were some ”mid to late” 2020 model X’s that would have had this increased thickness wire and thus can charge at 250 kw (over the 225 kw of previous software updated model X’s). Also, sounds like I definitely don‘t want to go back to model year 2019 long range X due to the number of high voltage battery problems listen in this thread.

Reactions: nicedrum
I have been scouring the internet to find out what the last revision of the Model X battery pack was for 2020 (mid-late 2020 specifically). This is the first I’ve read about a J revision pack. I’m curious if anyone has any information on what build dates got these “J” packs or if anyone knows what the last revision was for model year 2020 model x’s. I believe there were “H” batteries built for model X in 2020, I’ve not seen anything regarding “I” revision batteries, and again this is the first I’ve read about a “J revision pack.

I’m currently considering a 2020 model X and I know there was supposed to be an increase in wire thickness that allowed for 250 kw charging rates on Model X, but I’ve not seen anywhere that this is the case for 2020 model X’s. I believe there were some ”mid to late” 2020 model X’s that would have had this increased thickness wire and thus can charge at 250 kw (over the 225 kw of previous software updated model X’s). Also, sounds like I definitely don‘t want to go back to model year 2019 long range X due to the number of high voltage battery problems listen in this thread.

Our 2020 X has a G pack, and tops out around 225kW when Supercharging. The real world difference between that and the later rev that hits 250? Practically nothing. It doesn’t stay in that band very long at all - maybe an extra 25kW for less than a minute. So that’s, what, less than .45kWh? Or just about 1.5 miles of range. It’s honestly not worth seeking out actively.

The G pack has been fantastic for us. We’re a little over 3 years in, almost 66k miles and still a 330mi max range (was 351 new). Zero complaints here - we’ve ridden it hard, driven it all over the country, towed our travel trailer up and down the east coast and she doesn’t complain one bit. The X wants to work!

• Informative

For reference and for those interested here's the service ticket mention of the J-Revision part number which matches the sticker on the side of the battery pack in the X.
1694699036609.png

I too have not seen any other mention of a J Pack prior to me getting one. Take it with a grain of salt but the service manager noted to me that they've seen a number of E Packs come through with failures and he indicated its usually part of the HV wiring cables within the battery and not the actually the cells leading to the premature failures. I have nothing to corroborate this but found it interesting.

• Informative
I too have not seen any other mention of a J Pack prior to me getting one. Take it with a grain of salt but the service manager noted to me that they've seen a number of E Packs come through with failures and he indicated its usually part of the HV wiring cables within the battery and not the actually the cells leading to the premature failures. I have nothing to corroborate this but found it interesting.
Might be true since many ppl get the error after supercharging...
Was planning to pick up Raven at some point so i'll try 2019 n if it fails will be sure to open up the pack to check it out :)

For reference and for those interested here's the service ticket mention of the J-Revision part number which matches the sticker on the side of the battery pack in the X.
View attachment 973774

Thanks for posting this. Let’s say I was looking at 2020 model X’s for auction with the VIN numbers available, am I able to call Tesla service, provide them the VIN number and them give me specific details about the car including battery pack version, even if I’m not the owner of the vehicle? Or is there another resource that could provide that level of detail with just the VIN number alone? It’s possible that when the time comes for me to seriously be looking, I may be bidding on cars that are hundreds of miles away and there likely won’t be pictures of the battery pack sticker provided.

Thanks for posting this. Let’s say I was looking at 2020 model X’s for auction with the VIN numbers available, am I able to call Tesla service, provide them the VIN number and them give me specific details about the car including battery pack version, even if I’m not the owner of the vehicle? Or is there another resource that could provide that level of detail with just the VIN number alone? It’s possible that when the time comes for me to seriously be looking, I may be bidding on cars that are hundreds of miles away and there likely won’t be pictures of the battery pack sticker provided.
In terms of what's possible and what Tesla Service is likely to do are two different things. Tesla Service indeed would have that information available to them but I suspect they won't share it but I hope I'm proven wrong. If you have a good relationship with someone at your local Service Center maybe see where that takes you. Good luck..

Most dealers will probably take a picture or tell you what the final letter in the battery name is. When I bought my S, I made sure of the battery #.

Though now that you can insure the pack and motors privately for an extra 150k miles (EV Extended Warranty | Xcelerate Auto - xcelerateauto.com), just buy the car you want and insure it (assuming it's not a newer model with most of the 8 years remaining). You can, for example, buy a 2019 with more miles for ~$50k, instead of a '20 or '21 for $60k, and spend some of the difference on the extra insurance, and pocket the rest (or use that for extended warranty insurance).

Plus, some of the 2019's will have the new battery anyways, and the ones that don't will get a nicer, newer battery if they do fail by 2030 (assuming you insure for the full 7 years) / ~210k miles. Anyways, just a thought if you're deciding between two almost equal years, because that 1 extra year of depreciation is often a fairly big jump in price.

Reactions: XCare EV