Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X P100D with 72 amp charger $1,500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know is it possible to order your model X P100D with 72 amp charger $1,500 option on the newer 2019 model? I was told by sales that it only available on 2018 model. Can anyone confirm this? Sometime I need quick charge on HPWC from 80 Amp breaker. From 5% depleting battery to fully charge is 8hrs 35min on 48 amp versus 5 hrs 5min on 72 amp charger.

Check with the SC to see if it's possible to retrofit the 72A charger to a 2019 Model X after the fact. It was $1,900 to swap the 48A charger on my 2016 Model X for a 72A, so long as the hardware is still the same it might be possible on the 2019.

Anyone know is it possible to order your model X P100D with 72 amp charger $1,500 option on the newer 2019 model? I was told by sales that it only available on 2018 model. Can anyone confirm this?
Only the right person (whoever that may be) at Tesla can confirm this but it is pretty evident that getting a 72 amp charger into a post 2018 Model X is going to take some doing if it is possible at all. In favor of the notion that it ought to be possible is that apparently the European models chargers are three phase which would require three modules and the US 72 amp chargers had 3 modules.

Sometime I need quick charge on HPWC from 80 Amp breaker. From 5% depleting battery to fully charge is 8hrs 35min on 48 amp versus 5 hrs 5min on 72 amp charger.
With a 72 amp charger at 240V you'd have 17,280 watts and assuming 80% efficiency (probably somewhat conservative) you would be delivering 13.8 kw to the battery. 5% to 85% of a 100 kW battery is 80 kWhr and so it would take 80/13.8 = 5.8 hr to charge between those levels. But note that an 80 Amp breaker can only deliver 64 Amps to the rectifiers for 15,360 watts 80% of which is 12.3 kW and an 80 kWhr charge is going to take 6.5 hr. A two module charger can draw 48 amps corresponding to 11,520 watts 80% of which is 6.7 kW and an 80% charge will take 12 hrs.

I'd say it's worth going around with Tesla a bit to see if they can supply you with the 72 A charger but note that you will need a 90 A breaker to get full advantage from it.

Good explanation and easy to understand. Thanks for clarification. That's why I am order demo Tesla 2018 model X P100DL.
Are you working for Tesla or how do you know this info. I am wondering other item is been removed since they reduce the price to make it up.

So what is the point of purchasing the Tesla wall charger and wiring it up for 100 amp service if the car cannot take more than 42 amps?

IMHO you are correct. There is no good reason to purchase ONE Tesla wall Charger and wiring it up for 100 amp service if the car cannot take more than 42 amps (current Teslas) or 40A (previous generation Teslas). Charging is only as fast as it's slowest link, in this case the Tesla charger.

However, MULTIPLE Tesla Wall Connectors can share ONE 100A circuit... and intelligently distribute the amps to the Tesla needing the power most.

Previous Tesla High Power Wall Charger ("HPWC" / 1st generation) can only be connected to ONE 100A circuit... and thus only ONE Tesla per circuit. Additional Tesla's EACH require additional circuit breakers, wiring, HPWCs, etc. Costly and typically an issue in the standard 200A (or less) residential electrical panels.

As a long time user of a 1st generation HPWC on a 100A / 2401V single phase circuit with a 2015 Model S P85DL with dual 40A chargers, I honestly can say 80A charge rate has rarely been an advantage since there is plenty of time to recharge overnight even an almost completely empty battery at 48A. Also charging at 80A really heated up the HPWC plug, HPWC cable next to it, and our P85DL's charge port so I backed off our P85DL's charging rate to 60A and later to 50A max since there was still plenty of time to recharge overnight.

The only time I've charged at 80A using our HPWC were the rare times I forgot to plug in when I got home... or charged to 100% just before we left for trip where we needed the extra 10% to skip a Supercharger stop. With the proliferation of additional Superchargers in 2019 vs. 2015, 100% charge from home isn't necessary anymore. Also the hotel / motel Destination Chargers (also HPWCs) we've used on our road trips have always been 40A, not 80A, so no advantage to having > 40A on board chargers.

Our "inventory" 2015 Model S P85DL came with Dual Chargers so I paid the extra money for a 100A breaker and heavier wire. If I was ordering a Tesla now, I'd skip the 72 amp charger and just install a Tesla Wall Connector Tesla on a 60A circuit set to 48A charging... or save money and install a NEMA 14-50 on a 50A circuit for 40A charging. Our kids bought a Signature Tesla Wall Connector from a Tesla referral winner for $375 off Craigslist and got their electrician family member to install it on a 60A breaker (48A charge rate) for $50 for their 2019 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor. Electrical permit & inspection was $245 for <= 60A EV charger... but SoCal Edison is rebating them $500 so their Signature Tesla Wall Connector net cost was only $170. :cool:

Their Signature Tesla Wall Connector works great... and it will be EASY for them to add another Tesla Wall Connector if they get a 2nd Tesla. Also their Building Department only has an expedited EV permit process (including simple fill-in Load Calc) for EV chargers <= 60A. If the EV charger is >= 60A required then you need to add a locked disconnect near the EV charging. More $$$ for no good reason.

Bottom line is 48A charging is enough for 99% of Tesla owners. No reason to add complexity with the 72A charging option any more.

Our 2017 S 100D came with 48A charging standard, but evidently has a 72A charger that's been software limited and Tesla wants $1900 to throw the software switch to activate the higher charging. At home we have it connected to an HPWC on a 100A circuit (that was used to charge our 2013 S P85 with the 80A dual chargers).

For overnight charging, 48A should be sufficient to fully recharge a 100 battery pack, assuming it is generally between 10-90% of charge. And in all of the time we had our 2013 S P85, the only time we ever needed to charge faster than that was in the early days before a road trip when there weren't any superchargers, and we needed to quickly recharge in late afternoon after the daily commute and then hitting the road for a trip, so we'd have enough charge to reach the hotel (with a public EV charger). Once superchargers were available, we didn't find any need for fast home charging.

Since 72A charging really isn't needed for overnight charging, at least for home charging it makes sense for Tesla to reduce the cost of the vehicles by only providing 48A chargers - and for homeowners to reduce the cost of installing an HPWC by using circuits with no more than 60A to support a single HPWC.

72A charging can be useful when charging away from home, during the day - when you need to quickly add charge and there isn't a supercharger nearby.

Even though we have the HPWC support for 72A home charging, unlikely we'll ever spend the $1900 to activate 72A charging.

Thanks for all your details and usage. I did not know it already has 3x24amp charger onboard. I know back then it was an option to upgrade to high power charger for $1,900 and after that included in one of the package. I am glad I got the showroom car 2018 Model X P100DL with all options added including FSD and 72Amp charger on board (I make sure of that) for $40K discount. I live on the county, no permit needed. I been DIY the 2 gauge wires from Main panel to garage for about 50 feet using 100amp breaker inside plastic conduits to subpanel all for less than $200 for parts. I also put a NEMA 14-50 plug for 60 amp breaker and 80 amp breaker for HPWC on the subpanel in the 3 car garage.

Zombie thread - true - but 72 amp charging (X & S only) changes like so many other tesla features. hear today & gone tomorrow. Currently (no pun intended) it's offered again as of this writing. What's nice about 72 amp is that it's reasonably quick if you're going to go home for an hour then get back on the road. Less super charging means less battery capacity degradation.