Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't FSD always been sold as conditional on both regulators allowing it and on Tesla being technically capable of achieving it?

Unless a litigant could prove that Tesla knew they would never achieve FSD with the current hardware and sold that promise anyway, that lawsuit would be thrown out.

The hardware on the 2016 vehicles was not able to achieve FSD. Hence why my computer is being swapped today with the FSD computer. Well according to Tesla it's the FSD computer. They have yet to demonstrate any FSD videos on city streets thus far. So let's just take their word on it's ability.

Saw this earlier today.

Hope it drags down the stock. Unlikely. Totally overvalued.

I’m looking for a reasonable buy in.

The 3 and 6 mth low and high is absurd.

That said FSD does come stupid things. Just today on 5 min drive. Wide lane, move to side to follow curb instead of lane line. Turn all the way to right like making a turn? Then all the way left, then back to straight to follow lane line. Phantom break at concrete square for manhole in tar road, thinking stop line?

Yeah long way to go. At least on roads.
hoping for $200 so i can buy back in and a quick rise back to 1K. hah.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't FSD always been sold as conditional on both regulators allowing it and on Tesla being technically capable of achieving it?

Unless a litigant could prove that Tesla knew they would never achieve FSD with the current hardware and sold that promise anyway, that lawsuit would be thrown out.

Here is the 2016 order page for EAP and FSD:

enhanced-autopilot-self-driving-tesla-autopilot-cost.jpg

Here is the revised FSD page in 2019:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-28-at-6.01.58-PM.png

Note that EAP was promised to roll out in Dec 2016 pending validation and regulatory approval. In actuality, many of the features were not even done yet and it took a couple years to roll out all the EAP features.

Yes, Tesla did indeed condition FSD on completing validation and regulatory approval. But there was nothing about being technically able to finish it. In fact the website was very clear about the cars having the needed hardware for full self-driving now. Certainly in 2016, the website seems to imply that FSD software was already done and just needed some validation. The 2016 page even described automatic charging, saying you won't need to manually plug in at superchargers which never materialized. Also note that the 2016 page mentions the Tesla Network which still has not launched in any form.

In 2019, they put smart summon in the "available now" column when it was not available yet. Interestingly, the 2019 disclaimer also mentions "achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers AND getting regulatory approval". So Tesla is giving themselves 2 outs now if they don't achieve autonomous driving. Not just regulatory approval but also proving reliability far in excess of human drivers. If the features don't become autonomous on HW3, Tesla can just say "sorry, the features are good but we just never achieved reliability far in excess of human drivers".

Last edited: