Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just bought a 2019 Model S with EAP. No traffic light control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not really interested in FSD. But I'm super pumped about EAP with traffic light and stop sign control.
I thought I'd have it with this car but it turns out I don't :-(
I have Extended Autopilot (which is great BTW) but I'd really like to get the traffic light / stop sign control.
It looks like the only way to get that is to pay for a hardware upgrade to the tune of $1500.
Is that really the case??

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
From what you say, sounds like you either have an MCU 1 and/or Autopilot 2.x? Probably borderline 2019 wrt cutoff dates but if you don’t know you should be able to check from system information menu in the car.

I don’t know about MCU 1 but I think stop sign control requires HW3 aka FSD computer hardware. If you have the FSD software option (rather than EAP) then HW3 should be a free upgrade.

Tbh stop sign control for me is not great and after the car detected phantom traffic lights on motorway/A roads that I needed to confirm to prevent car stopping I turned that option off. In it’s own right if me, certainly wouldn’t warrant paying an upgrade just to get that functionality but next few months may be interesting with HW3 (or overdue HW4) becoming more interesting for other reasons.

not really worth it. Ex: If you are in the left turn lane which is controlled via an arrow and to the right of you are lanes that are going straight with their own turn signal? The system gets confused and may or may not beep accurately.

Honestly, it's the "hey dummy, look up!" alert I want for when the light turns green and I'm still scrolling ;-)
understood. Doesnt always do that though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. So quite possible to still be at the light scrolling through IG and FB and Tick Tock, light turns green, no chime, and you still get honked at

Honestly, it's the "hey dummy, look up!" alert I want for when the light turns green and I'm still scrolling ;-)
It works the vast majority of the time. As 2101 mentioned, there are sometimes, when in a controlled left turn lane, where it dings when the main lanes light changes green, but you're still on a red arrow. In these cases, it will not ding when your arrow changes green. I have yet to have it fail while in a main travel lane, only when in a controlled left turn lane. I'll also add that I've never had it fail while in the most left lane of multi left turn lanes.

Oddly, the app tells me it’s $1,000. That’s a $500 difference!
I’d love to get it for free…

Attachments

• 1049757D-4BFF-4042-BC07-651B1DA7DA3E.jpeg
    1049757D-4BFF-4042-BC07-651B1DA7DA3E.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 133
So I'm not really interested in FSD. But I'm super pumped about EAP with traffic light and stop sign control.
I thought I'd have it with this car but it turns out I don't :-(
I have Extended Autopilot (which is great BTW) but I'd really like to get the traffic light / stop sign control.
It looks like the only way to get that is to pay for a hardware upgrade to the tune of $1500.
Is that really the case??
EAP doesn’t have traffic light and stop control, regardless of your hardware. You need the FSD option and HW3 for that.

The OP was about traffic light and stop sign control, and those require FSD. The green light chime was initially FSD only, but now I think it’s available even with basic AP, though it requires HW3.
My car is at the SC right now getting the FSD upgrade (HW3) so that I can *maybe* subscribe to FSD. I really only want it for the green light chime. They're doing it for free. 🤗

Reactions: bedoig