Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do that mountainpass method, a mobile service advisor told me to change the disconnect time from the one minute that's in those instructions to at least 4-5 minutes, preferably more. Some gobbledy-gook tech jargon followed about why, bottom line is that if you reconnect it too soon the car can go into a boot loop, and you DON"T want that. When he did it he left it disconnected for 10+ minutes. I did it more recently and just set a timer on my phone for 10 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
This may be a silly question and sorry if it was answered already in this thread, but I'm still on 2020.8.3 and it says I'm up to date as of yesterday. I have a 2020 Model 3 Standard Range. Is there any way to push the update my way?

Also, as I just got the car last month and with the shutdowns I've barely driven it. I'm just now setting up a USB for Sentry. Will I need to have a USB plugged in for the dashcam viewer on the screen? Or will it show me the clips regardless if there's a storage device plugged in?

TIA

Any differences in the release notes?

Most likely not. Historically, any intra-week updates are just bug fixes and not feature additions.

(For those not in the know, the first four digits are the year of release, the digits after the first decimal are the week, and anything after the second decimal are release iterations. There are other details and oddities to this, but that is the basic methodology.)

This may be a silly question and sorry if it was answered already in this thread, but I'm still on 2020.8.3 and it says I'm up to date as of yesterday. I have a 2020 Model 3 Standard Range. Is there any way to push the update my way

Also, as I just got the car last month and with the shutdowns I've barely driven it. I'm just now setting up a USB for Sentry. Will I need to have a USB plugged in for the dashcam viewer on the screen? Or will it show me the clips regardless if there's a storage device plugged in?

TIA

No real way to push the update, you really just have to wait until the Tesla mothership deems it’s your turn.

The USB should really be in at all times to allow for recording and review. I would highly recommend a Samsung USB drive. Since I purchased that I never get error messages and have endless recording space.

Reactions: ellienovember
I still dont have this update avaiable is that normal? i had an update the other day that i was waiting to install. Once i moved my router for stronger signal i went into my car and it said i had no more update to be installed? .... nothing was done automatically either still have no dashcam viewer.

Looks like they may have pulled this version. Maybe for bugs... who knows but 12.10 is out now granted it doesn’t look like a full roll out on TeslaFi.

TIA

The USB is where the footage is stored- so if it's not plugged in there's no clips for it to show.

Reactions: ellienovember

TIA

The USB of choice is the Solid State Drive (SSD) these days. Not too big a one (128 GB is good, but you can go larger) and a well known brand name to be safe from fake USB drives. There are some gotchas so I recommend you check out this site by Telsa Tap that talks about USB drives for Tesla cars...

Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more! – TeslaTap's Dashcam Guide Check out the "Preparing your Drive" section as you will need to format it to the FAT32 format.

The USB of choice is the Solid State Drive (SSD) these days.

Yeah, I do not agree with this waste of money. Many of us have had no problems with far less expensive USB thumb drives. And as @Knightshade mentioned, the only Tesla recommended drives are USB thumb drives.

IMHO, the two biggest challenges are Tesla's software and counterfeit drives.

I have used a few different solutions. USB thumb drives that are sandisk higher end, fast ones... they fail as they are not meant for tons of read/write like a security system type of monitoring, like sentry and dashcam.

What i switched to and has been working extremely well is a micro SD card meant for tons of read/writes (security systems) in a tiny usb Micro SD card holder. So far so good, no heating up of the usb stick and other side effects (protruding out of the port like on the X).

• Informative
Reactions: john5520
The USB of choice is the Solid State Drive (SSD) these days. Not too big a one (128 GB is good, but you can go larger) and a well known brand name to be safe from fake USB drives. There are some gotchas so I recommend you check out this site by Telsa Tap that talks about USB drives for Tesla cars...

Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more! – TeslaTap's Dashcam Guide Check out the "Preparing your Drive" section as you will need to format it to the FAT32 format.

That link was very helpful, thanks for posting. I'm stuck between going with an SSD or the MicroSD with adapter. I might try the MicroSD route first.

Reactions: rdskill
For me 2020.12.5 comes with USB problems
Everything was okay with my USB key formatted in EXT4 until now.
After the update I got an error message saying my USB key was in an unreadable format.
Sentry and dashCam was not working, but the new video reader was able to read the already saved sequences ... Understandable...
I formatted to FAT32 and now it's working right...

I have used a few different solutions. USB thumb drives that are sandisk higher end, fast ones... they fail as they are not meant for tons of read/write like a security system type of monitoring, like sentry and dashcam.

This is simply not supported by any technical data or specs.

The tesla system does not write especially quickly, nor write nearly as much data as the multiple-4k-dashcam systems those "endurance" type drives are meant for.

The math on this has been posted repeatedly in various dashcam threads if you wish to find it.... or if you wish to do it yourself to see this is true- the car only writes at 2 megs per second, and only writes about 7.2GB per hour for computing life-cycle of storage.

A 128GB regular good quality USB key should last 5-10 years in normal dashcam/sentry use based on the the typical rated life of such a device.... (more toward 5 if you run Sentry 24/7, more toward 10 or more if it's a more typical 8-9 hours for time at work and a drive to/from)

Indeed, as mentioned, the two devices Tesla specifically recommends in the owners manual are just regular, good quality, USB keys. I've been using the Samsung one (a 128GB version) since October 2018 with 100% reliability.

SDcards add an extra point of failure (the USB to SDcard adapter)-and we've had many a folk report that's exactly what they had fail on em and had to replace.... though certainly if you have some reason you [B}need[/B] your saved dashcam footage to last 20 years instead of just 5-10 year on the same device, an endurance SDcard is the way to go.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Have you read sandisk’s warranty page? They do not support dash cams or security systems with the usb sticks, the higher end ones that i bought. The heat produced and the protrusion is also a negative. The SD cards with the usb SD card adapter works way better in regards to not failing. I have an X and a 3. Both USB sticks purchased at different times both failed with same issues. I have two sdcards and have not had a problem in about 9 months.

Math or no math, I’m speaking from personal experience with two different cars. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish, but definitely read the sandisk warranty page for their sticks.

^^I did notice in the link posted by rdskill the upper temp limits for the USB sticks vs SD Cards and the SD cards had a much higher upper limit (185F). I've seen temps as high as 140+ in my car during the day and I've been more diligent about keeping them check lately, but I'd still trust the SD cards more for this purpose in my case.

There are USB sticks that offer higher temp limits, but they cost more than the SD cards.

Last edited: