Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed my wheels from my winters to summer and drive my car fir the first time in almost a month. For some reason it took a long time to recognize I changed my wheels.. like 5 times longer. I also noticed the cones on the display but I did not think that worked on HW 2.5 cars.

I found something interesting while looking at the contents of my USB drive on a computer.

Every Sentry event now has a JSON file in the folder named "event.json", and it includes the timestamp of the event, which I found really helpful to jump straight to the correct file.

It also includes the city, latitude/longitude, and reason for the event triggering Sentry.

Here's a sample below (lat/long redacted for privacy):

Code:
{
    "timestamp":"2020-04-13T19:08:06",
    "city":"San Francisco",
    "est_lat":"37.xxxx",
    "est_lon":"-122.xxxx",
    "reason":"sentry_aware_object_detection"
}

This means there is no reason to have a triggering event option in the playback, along with location data. I bet we see it in a future update.

Since the update, I’ve noticed that any new Sentry clips are now >10minutes in length when viewed in the car. I’m used to seeing events that are a few minutes long at most, which was nice as it was easier to scrub through and find whatever it was that set off sentry mode in the first place. Now I have long clips where nothing seems to be happening and/or it’s difficult to find the triggering event. Anyone else experiencing this?
Most sentry clips have been around 10 minutes since it was introduced. It's the norm, although sometimes shorter and slightly longer clips will happen, for no discernible reason. The triggering event is almost always one minute before the end of the clip.

It may be coincidence, but I was getting tired of waiting for the update so I tried a hard reset (brake + scroll wheels) and as soon as it rebooted it started downloading.

Exactly the same for me. Foot on brake plus two scroll wheels until the logo came up and it started the download as soon as the car came back online. Irritating to know I could have had it days earlier.

I think you are correct. Usually around the 8 or 9 minute mark.

Most sentry clips have been around 10 minutes since it was introduced. It's the norm, although sometimes shorter and slightly longer clips will happen, for no discernible reason. The triggering event is almost always one minute before the end of the clip.

Thank you! I’ll check the past clips again the next time I head down to the garage.

That is an awesome feature. Is this for FSD or for everyone? So far 2020.12.5 is not available for my M3 has that been stopped?

FSD only:

135040E7-497A-4346-A221-2441057F4797.jpeg

I continue to be impressed by the traffic cone recognition capability in this release. First photo below shows that a traffic cone tipped on its side is correctly recognized.

View attachment 532977
This photo shows that even small cones, in this case a “pop up” style cone that is only about 18” high is correctly identified.

View attachment 532978
but it also recognizes anything that's similarly sized or even colored. fire hydrants, reflectors, poles with reflectors. that isn't impressive when it can't distinguish what's actually a cone.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
but it also recognizes anything that's similarly sized or even colored. fire hydrants, reflectors, poles with reflectors. that isn't impressive when it can't distinguish what's actually a cone.

How do you know it's not recognizing these objects as something else than a cone, but choosing to render them as cones anyway for simplicity sake?
As long as the car behaves the same way and does not run over said object, it sounds like it's doing a good job. Sure, we can have more accuracy in objects rendered, but the goal is mainly for the car to know where to avoid driving.

Most sentry clips have been around 10 minutes since it was introduced. It's the norm, although sometimes shorter and slightly longer clips will happen, for no discernible reason.
The dashcam always records and stores video files in 1-minute intervals. The exact length of a saved set of files depends on where within the most recent 1-minute interval the trigger event happens.

• Informative
Reactions: sduck and lUtriaNt
So far I have seen one instance of a fire hydrant being displayed as a cone, and I’ve driven by a few dozen hydrants. Keep in mind that the neural net is still learning...

the garage door motor cover in the garage where i park is seen as a rubbish bin by the cars cameras. :p it has those yellow iron poles protecting it and it thinks those are cones. in both cases i can understand why the cameras see those objects as such because the motor cover is that rubbish bin green and the yellow poles are reflective, yellow in color, and of similar size.

also in the other garage i park at whilst at the office, there are those taller white plastic "cones" that are more for directing traffic flow in the garage. the cameras distinguish those exactly as such on the screen. i think thats cool and shows the software is maturing..