Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.6 is downloading!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 SR+ has 12.5 and HW3 and it shows the traffic lights and stop signs. I do not have FSD. I haven't tested it to see if it actually stops when on Autopilot but if definitely shows them at least including the current color of the light.
"All new Tesla cars come standard with Autopilot as of April 2019, which includes Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer. You can purchase Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability at any time through your Tesla Account – and the Autopilot software required will be added to your car."

My 2019 SR+ has 12.5 and HW3 and it shows the traffic lights and stop signs

Yes, all HW3 cars get all the new-since-december visualizations so far.

HW2.5 cars got none of those at all except, just recently, cones only (as mentioned in the release notes for 2.5 cars)

Both HW versions, regardless of FSD or not, get the "YOU ARE ABOUT TO RUN THROUGH A RED LIGHT" type warnings, but the car won't actually DO anything about it besides beep at you.

My
. I do not have FSD. I haven't tested it to see if it actually stops when on Autopilot

It doesn't.

Stopping at lights and signs is explicitly an FSD feature.

I'm baffled that people keep being unclear on this. It's literally in writing on tesla.com.

Baby steps. The neural net is learning and is actually shadow deciding to go through but using you to check its decision. In a few months it will no longer stop at green lights.

The release notes say essentially the same thing. I noticed a couple of things when breaking it in today. First, the system is confusing flashing lights, as in construction zones, with stoplights to the extent that it required me to tap the accelerator or tap the lever down to keep from braking. I was surprised on a couple of instances by reactions to stop signs on cross streets that were twisted enough on the post for the cameras to read the sign - in one case a hard stop began, which I arrested with the accelerator. I understand, and appreciate, the partnership role that we are assuming with Tesla to get this new capability perfected. It is, after all, a beta. Take it seriously folks. It is a worthy task.

Reactions: Matsayz
DB595A1C-E3D9-4538-9F55-DCDA6FDA8E3D.jpeg
Sun was causing an issue. The alert went away, then came back after a few minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
The release notes say essentially the same thing.....I understand, and appreciate, the partnership role that we are assuming with Tesla to get this new capability perfected. It is, after all, a beta. Take it seriously folks. It is a worthy task.
Yea it is probably well over 99% accurate now but while that sounds good it is actually terrible since you will have 100's of thousands of cars driving to millions of red lights and stop signs every month.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
There are many impressions of this update posted already. I noticed a few things and forgive me if this is repeated info.

-I could still increase +5 MPH maybe more on a divided “highway”
-When you can’t go +5 it makes a big difference, you are suddenly the slowest one on the road
-Impressed with recognition of lights and where to exactly stop, seems to do well and stop without impeding cross walks
-It’s off label use but I used AP in the city previously, this new update can be a lot of work with confirmations to continue through every single intersection and makes for a sloppy ride if it slows down before you confirm

Overall I am excited with where they are headed even if it’s at a slower pace than we would probably all like.

Nothing they're doing at Level 2 requires any approval from any regulator- so no.

(in some states even if they pushed (correctly working) L5 it'd require no further approval from anybody)

This is a popular red herring though that people think is holding Tesla back- it's not.

That’s one way to look at it. Another is that Telsa is very held back by regulations knowing that if they crash a bunch of self driving cars, FSD is going to quickly get regulated out of being used on public roads.

That’s one way to look at it. Another is that Telsa is very held back by regulations knowing that if they crash a bunch of self driving cars, FSD is going to quickly get regulated out of being used on public roads.

Nothing happens quickly in regulation.

Also-they're not being held back by it- they're being held back by being incapable of actually putting a self driving car on the road today and they know it. So's everyone else of course- Waymo is nearest with an arguably L4 car that has a massive bulky sensor suite on it and only works in one specific town with perfect weather.

When Tesla can manage to give us L2 in all the places they've promised L4/5, THEN you can maybe talk about regulation "holding them back" but they're still quite some distance from even that.

My car just stops at every intersection, red or green... Seems like hw2 would be capable of that... stop lights are on maps nowadays.... it doesn’t really need to use its cameras to accomplish this.

Nope.

For one- behavior is different after confirmation depending on the color of the light.

For another some folks are saying there's been issues with it being unsure what light is for what lane in some cases- something likely to be fixed in the fundamental HW3-rewrite that stitches all 8 cameras together at full frame rate- a task HW2.x is incapable of.

Nothing happens quickly in regulation.

Also-they're not being held back by it- they're being held back by being incapable of actually putting a self driving car on the road today and they know it. So's everyone else of course- Waymo is nearest with an arguably L4 car that has a massive bulky sensor suite on it and only works in one specific town with perfect weather.

When Tesla can manage to give us L2 in all the places they've promised L4/5, THEN you can maybe talk about regulation "holding them back" but they're still quite some distance from even that.

Kill some important people with self-driving cars, and the regulations would be changed so fast, your head would spin.

IMO, regulations are a big threat to the plans of companies that are making self-driving cars. It's not the only risk. If I had to bet money, my bet is that we won't get there anytime soon. Car & Driver had a recent article on how some car companies are winding down their self-driving programs because it's far easier said than done. I would also bet that the current lineup of Tesla cars don't have the hardware package needed to ever get to what Elon has promised, despite his convincing explanation how these cameras, that definitely can't see very well, are the best way to go. It will take 5 years to see who is right and who is wrong about the future of self-driving cars. My money is on a complete failure or regulations block within 5 years.

Reactions: rdskill
Kill some important people with self-driving cars, and the regulations would be changed so fast, your head would spin.

IMO, regulations are a big threat to the plans of companies that are making self-driving cars. It's not the only risk. If I had to bet money, my bet is that we won't get there anytime soon. Car & Driver had a recent article on how some car companies are winding down their self-driving programs because it's far easier said than done. I would also bet that the current lineup of Tesla cars don't have the hardware package needed to ever get to what Elon has promised, despite his convincing explanation how these cameras, that definitely can't see very well, are the best way to go. It will take 5 years to see who is right and who is wrong about the future of self-driving cars. My money is on a complete failure or regulations block within 5 years.

I like the idea of fully assisted driving (FAD) rather than FSD. I agree with you that the feasibility of that happening within the next five years is pretty unlikely. Fully autonomous driving is a puzzle that involves more than car and driver. The full solution will require an upgraded, uniform, nationwide infrastructure far different from what we have now. IMHO, this will include pavement, marking and sign uniformity, and also the use of electronic marking and embedded sensors. If and when that ever happens I think I'll be ready to take the train.