Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I downloading the 20.12 update to my 2018 LR RWD Model 3/HW3. I never received the 8.1 update; so I'm looking forward to the improved voice commands.

I've never had a problem with ping-ponging while on Autopilot. I wonder if that problem occurs only with those cars having 4 wheel drive.

Last edited:
I talked to a few Service Center and Mobile Service techs, as well as one field tech, and they all voiced concern with these aftermarket trunk/frunk and soft-close door kits... especially the ones that splice into any of the CAN buses... but even the ones that don't and just tap power sources.

Eventually, with more updates v10.x, v11, etc - they said there is high probability the kits will fail to function, introduce CAN gremlins, noise or cause some other type undesired behavior.

Everyone's MMV, but they recommended staying away.

We already see lots of CAN messaging logger breaking changes with each new build, especially with base version upgrades (v8, v9, v10, v10.2), this might be collateral damage and not as easy to fix.

They are saying what they have to say.

The only one that tap the can bus is the original trunk release.

nothing else does. sooo…….

I definitely feel an improvement on autopilot/FSD (HW3 LR RWD M3 here). Perhaps the placebo effect, but feels like smoother and (slightly) more logical lane changes on NOA. It also seems to be tracking surrounding cars better, at least at night. Fewer (perhaps even no) cars that disappear, especially when passing or being passed.

if only the car would not dive for the center of the lane so aggressively, and begin lane changes a bit quicker on NOA, I’d be happy.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
I definitely feel an improvement on autopilot/FSD (HW3 LR RWD M3 here). Perhaps the placebo effect, but feels like smoother and (slightly) more logical lane changes on NOA. It also seems to be tracking surrounding cars better, at least at night. Fewer (perhaps even no) cars that disappear, especially when passing or being passed.

if only the car would not dive for the center of the lane so aggressively, and begin lane changes a bit quicker on NOA, I’d be happy.

Do you have “Mad Max” selected? Only way to go.

Ski

• Informative
Reactions: Three3
I downloading the 20.12 update to my 2018 LR RWD Model 3/HW3. I never received the 8.1 update; so I'm looking forward to the improved voice commands.

I've never had a problem with ping-ponging while on Autopilot. I wonder if that problem occurs only with those cars having 4 wheel drive.

I have M3 LR AWD with HW3 and can't say I've ever seen ping-pong either.

Also noticing construction zone pop ups autopilot disabled .it did a great job driving in the rain last night .. I could barley see the lane lines ..and it kept dead center on the freeway with no right side camera reduced visibility messages ..something has changed on camera reduced visibility errors cause i always go those in the morning even after a camera was replaced

My dog and I just finished our social distancing / 2020.12 testing daytime drive (FSD HW3). Definitely much improved autopilot / NOA on the highway. I was particularly impressed with vehicle tracking, and only counted two cars that “disappeared” when they hit what seem to be the Tesla’s forward corner blind spots as they passed my car. (Interestingly enough, both cars were grey or tan colored, and matched the colors of their surroundings like camouflage.)

I still count 6 clicks of the blinker for NOA lane changes, so doesn’t appear to have hastened those up. There were a few that began changing right after click 5, so that’s progress, I guess. Much smoother and human like lane changes. (This is the first time doing NOA that I thought to myself, during tricky traffic judgement calls, that I could have plausibly made the same decisions that the car made.)

One downside is that Bluetooth music streaming / phone calls seems to be completely broken now. My phone still pairs, but music will only play on my iPhone (8) even when selected from the Tesla screen. Can’t have everything, I guess!

I scheduled a departure time for 8 tomorrow morning, so I'll see whether it honors that or not.

My understanding is that Mad Max mode only concerns the differential in speed between your car and the one it's considering passing, not how quickly it changes Lanes. Could be wrong.

It did not honor it. Charging finished at 5:30. IOW, this release did not solve that known problem.

2020.12 update.jpg

This is the full summary that came with my 2020.12 update. No biggies here. Given this, some of the comments about post-install test drives remind me of my experience in the past when I did something like replace the windshield wipers. The next time I took the car out it seemed like it had more zip, better handling and rode better. Some wipers!

Now the Bluetooth is having connectivity problems with my phone and the SSD drive I’ve used for months gives a notice that it needs to be formatted to the correct format?! I’ve tried the steering wheel button reset a few times with no success...oh, and getting in this morning my screen was blank until I did a reset

Update: unplugging and plugging in the SSD drive seemed to clear that error

Last edited:
My dog and I just finished our social distancing / 2020.12 testing daytime drive (FSD HW3). Definitely much improved autopilot / NOA on the highway. I was particularly impressed with vehicle tracking, and only counted two cars that “disappeared” when they hit what seem to be the Tesla’s forward corner blind spots as they passed my car. (Interestingly enough, both cars were grey or tan colored, and matched the colors of their surroundings like camouflage.)

I still count 6 clicks of the blinker for NOA lane changes, so doesn’t appear to have hastened those up. There were a few that began changing right after click 5, so that’s progress, I guess. Much smoother and human like lane changes. (This is the first time doing NOA that I thought to myself, during tricky traffic judgement calls, that I could have plausibly made the same decisions that the car made.)

One downside is that Bluetooth music streaming / phone calls seems to be completely broken now. My phone still pairs, but music will only play on my iPhone (8) even when selected from the Tesla screen. Can’t have everything, I guess!
What ios are you running. I intermittently have had this issue on 2020.8 running ios 13.4. Rebooting car fixed it so far.

I noticed three changes from 2020.8.1 - the first since getting HW3.
First was a fix. With 2020.8.1, every morning my car would give warnings about the right side view camera being blocked.
Pretty sure it was just getting any new software that reset the error.
Second is that I notice that the car will unlock on its own when I walk up to it, as long as I have my phone in my pocket.
I have to walk right up to the drivers door, but it does the full unlock with lights flash and mirror unfold. No touch required.
Its great now I don't have to do the little handle jiggle to unlock the charge port.
Third is that AP seems to improved. It handles lanes that blend from single lane to two lanes much better than before.

I noticed three changes from 2020.8.1 - the first since getting HW3.
First was a fix. With 2020.8.1, every morning my car would give warnings about the right side view camera being blocked.
Pretty sure it was just getting any new software that reset the error.
Second is that I notice that the car will unlock on its own when I walk up to it, as long as I have my phone in my pocket.
I have to walk right up to the drivers door, but it does the full unlock with lights flash and mirror unfold. No touch required.
Its great now I don't have to do the little handle jiggle to unlock the charge port.
Third is that AP seems to improved. It handles lanes that blend from single lane to two lanes much better than before.
Interesting, mine still doesn't unlock until i pull on the door handle.