Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.1 Media player issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Is anyone else having issues with the media player after installing 2020.20.1? I have searched around and haven’t found anything yet.

My symptoms:
  • Radio works
  • Bluetooth audio works
  • ‘Streaming’, Spotify and TuneIn don’t work
    • Spotify doesn’t seem to connect to the Spotify server at all. It just spins on an empty screen. The search function doesn’t bring up results.
    • I’m able to navigate around TuneIn without issue, but when I go to play something, it doesn’t play it. Doesn’t try to download the content at all. The player bar remains on whatever was playing before.
    • Streaming has the same symptoms as TuneIn.
I have tried numerous resets:
  • Hold both scroll wheels until the screen goes black
  • Hold both upper buttons until the IC goes black
  • Hold both scroll wheels for a full minute
  • “Power Off” the car and let it sit for 3 minutes, then wake it with the brake pedal.
All have resulted in no behaviour change.

I have changed my Software Update Preference to Advanced hoping to expedite the next update to my car.

It is a 2014 S 60 with MCU 1.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
For whatever reason while they add toys and games and even go back to make revisions and improvements to toys and games, they seem uninterested in fixing the music players with 2+ year old major bugs.

The music player is the one app that I use all the time and it remains the worst music player I've ever used in a car due to all the bugs.

There is a longstanding USB Audio bug that prevents music from resuming when you get back in the car unless Sentry is already running and using the same USB drive.I have Sentry set to off at home, so music never resumes when I get in the car.

I spent weeks recreating my music library in Spotify only to find out the Spotify music player is even buggier! With Spotify, I get constant "Loading errors," sometimes it just keeps playing the same song over and over again, other times it just stops playing anything and I need to go to another audio source and come back to Spotify all for the bugs I mentioned to reappear. Never have any issues with the Spottily apps on my PC or Android phone.

The worst Spotify bug is when you listen to playlists in random mode, it just keeps playing the same handful of songs over and over again, even if you have 100+ songs in the playlist.

I really wish they would please fix the USB Audio and Spotify music players. It's the most important app in the car as far as I'm concerned. I use it even more than FSD!

Anyone Else Having Spotify Playlist and Playback Issues?

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I have a 2014 85 S. When the car is on my drive, it tries to connect to the house weak WiFi and won't play streaming music. If I disconnect the WiFi, it works on 4g.
Interesting, I hadn’t thought of it as a connectivity issue. I can still connect to the car when it is on wifi and LTE. I just discovered that the voice commands won’t work. I press the voice command button and there is no reaction at all. The button itself must work as I was able to do the IC reset.

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of it as a connectivity issue. I can still connect to the car when it is on wifi and LTE. I just discovered that the voice commands won’t work. I press the voice command button and there is no reaction at all. The button itself must work as I was able to do the IC reset.
Have you tried to create a free TuneIn account (a simple one with user and password : not by linking a google account).
And connect using that free account.

Thanks for that suggestion. I normally use the free TuneIn account. I will check if I have access to the account info next time I’m in there.
You are right, you should not need to create one, as it works without normally.
Yet I had issues also with TuneIn a few years back, and switching to a private free TuneIn account helped.
Also, it allows me to use the TuneIn app on my mobile, with the same account, and that makes it easier to manage TuneIn favorites.

anyway, to create that free account, you’ll need to do it from your pc or Mac on their website. Chose the free registration, not the premium. A premium account, last I read, does not work in the Tesla.

Not sure if it is related, but yesterday I could not get any music channels or most of the podcasts to play, during two short trips (4 or 5 miles each way). Oddly, one podcast (Tesla Daily News) played, but nothing else would play. I tried to wait it out but did not reboot (the MCU had rebooted itself on the previous drive). This has happened before, for short periods, and i usually assume there is a failure on the Tesla server end, but one never knows.
I'll reboot today if the internet music and podcasts are still gone when I drive today....

Hi all,

Is anyone else having issues with the media player after installing 2020.20.1? I have searched around and haven’t found anything yet.

Same problem here after 2020.20.1
All worked OK after update installed. After a reboot of the MCU, same problems showed up. Also have the following additional problems:
- no navigation voice
- USB is recognized but it keeps "searching" for contents.
- no microphone functionality

Instead of playing with games, I wish the development effort is more concentrated on testing functions.

You are right, you should not need to create one, as it works without normally.
Yet I had issues also with TuneIn a few years back, and switching to a private free TuneIn account helped.
Also, it allows me to use the TuneIn app on my mobile, with the same account, and that makes it easier to manage TuneIn favorites.

anyway, to create that free account, you’ll need to do it from your pc or Mac on their website. Chose the free registration, not the premium. A premium account, last I read, does not work in the Tesla.
Okay, I had a chance to try it. I was able to log in to the account I created on my PC, but it operated the same as when it was not signed in (i.e. I could navigate to podcasts, but none of them would play).

Side benefit here that I can now more easily control my favourites (it deleted my old ones once I signed in and back out of my own account).

Same problem here after 2020.20.1
All worked OK after update installed. After a reboot of the MCU, same problems showed up. Also have the following additional problems:
- no navigation voice
- USB is recognized but it keeps "searching" for contents.
- no microphone functionality

Instead of playing with games, I wish the development effort is more concentrated on testing functions.
Thanks for that list. Sorry to hear you’re in the same boat. I think I may put in a service request from the app as I can’t do a ‘bug report’ without the voice prompts working.

Thanks for that list. Sorry to hear you’re in the same boat. I think I may put in a service request from the app as I can’t do a ‘bug report’ without the voice prompts working.
Sorry that the TuneIn account did not help and made you lose your favorites.

Bug report: keep your finger for longer on the settings icon (the car icon down left on your MCU), like 5 or 10s: it will flash & do a bug report too.

Bug report: keep your finger for longer on the settings icon (the car icon down left on your MCU), like 5 or 10s: it will flash & do a bug report too.

From what I have been told on here, Bug Report doesn't really do anything unless the car is accessed by a technician, so you still need to place a service call if there is a fault / suspected fault.

Reactions: ChooseGreen
I have a 2015 MS 70D with MCU1, currently on firmware 2020.20.1

strangely enough, at least in my case the Spotify player on 2020.20.1 seems slightly more stable than it has ever been.
(I say that at risk of jinxing it, knowing full well that the Tesla music player overall has been pretty constantly buggy in 5.5yrs of owning this car, with Tesla having zero interest/ability to fix music player bugs...)

I've been using my Spotify Premium account in my MS since Jan 2019, and the Spotify player in the car has always been unreliable:
- when first getting into the car after being parked overnight or even just a short time, Spotify would often refuse to play or even load its main screen unless I first switched to Slacker momentarily and back to Spotify
- once the Spotify player started playing, often in the middle of a short drive it would stop playing (e.g. loading error). a quick switch to Slacker and back would be required to get it to work again. Very frustrating, having to constantly poke at the screen while driving to get music to start playing again.

But, since I got 2020.20.1 two weeks ago, aside from the occasional refusal for Spotify to start up (esp. if screen shows a connectivity error), now once Spotify starts playing it generally continues to play corrrectly through the whole day. It now also seems more-times-than-not to resume properly over several days without getting 'stuck' as before. Still the occasional loading error, but seems much, much less frequent.

Fingers crossed they didn't "accidentally" fix this and that it will simply revert to its old broken behaviour with the next release...

Reactions: ChooseGreen

Huh, didn’t know about the press and hold for big report. Thanks! By the way my favourites came back after another reset. I didn’t have much in there anyway.

I scheduled a service appointment, But got a quote for a half hour of labour to address it.

I called customer service (probably should have done the first, still learning) and the rep was helpful in troubleshooting while trying things on the back end. To no avail unfortunately so he was able to escalate the issue. Will report back in 5-7 business days.

I'm having some related issues on my 2013 S 60 MCU1 (3G). Streaming (Slacker) won't launch any stations; Spotify just spins indefinitely, but I've got an added twist: All audio seems to intermittently go out for about 5-15 seconds out of every minute. This includes both FM radio and the turn signal indicator sound.

The problem has persisted after two reboots. I have about two months more under warranty from CPO purchase in 2016, so I'll request service and see where it goes.

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I saw that there's a firmware update downloading. I'll try installing that tonight and test it out tomorrow before I call for service.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe