Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that SSDs are not being recognised on MCU1 cars since 2020.16.2.1 and 2020.20.1 didn't fix it.
I'd be interested to hear from other people regardless of car config as to whose SSD works/doesn't work.
I have a feeling that Tesla may have nerfed large drives for MCU1 cars. :(

2020.12.5 killed the USB recognizing for many, but 2020.16.2.1 fixed it for most everybody who had an issue from what I read, I was one of them. If yours is still not working try a different drive.

2020.12.5 killed the USB recognizing for many, but 2020.16.2.1 fixed it for most everybody who had an issue from what I read, I was one of them. If yours is still not working try a different drive.

I've had a few previous versions "kill" my DashCam, but this is different. USB sticks are still recognised and work fine, it's the higher capacity SSDs that no longer work.

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
Hmmm, seems better to me. What are you seeing that is annoying or less confident?

I was driving on highway and big truck in front of me, 3 times I put the left turn waiting the car to take left, two time cancelled and one time left turn still on but never change lane.

Othertime I was driving with no cars and it didn't change lane while I pretty sure it was working normally before. So last maybe 5 updates car a little not confident to change lane... And yes I have cleaned my camera

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It seems that SSDs are not being recognised on MCU1 cars since 2020.16.2.1 and 2020.20.1 didn't fix it.
I'd be interested to hear from other people regardless of car config as to whose SSD works/doesn't work.
Testing my Evo 840 now.....

Edit: 250GB SSD in USB 3.0 enclosure does not work (2020.16.1). I'm pretty livid at Tesla at the moment as I've been using this drive for 6 years.....

I'm going to upgrade to 20.1 and see if there is a difference. 128GB USB stick does still work BTW.

Last edited:
Nothing major for AP2 and MCU1. Release notes are only minor improvements and bug fixes. Shrug.

That being said, hopefully the Spartan notes hide improvement to AP like @Silicon Desert alluded to.

What would be nice if some of those minor improvements would back off the aggressive charging algorithm restrictions that my car has and give me some of my car back before my battery pack got kneecapped by batterygate and chargegate

I have an SSD and it has been working fine.(up to current version 2020.16.2.1) HW 2.5 MCU1. Now I'm DLing 2020.20.1.

Reactions: ARMARM
I just tried my FAT32 dual partitioned Samsung 500GB T5 SSD drive with 2020.20.1 and it still doesn’t work. The same problem as was introduced with 2020.16.2.1. Neither music, nor TeslaCam partitions are recognized. This is likely unique to MCU1. The same drive is recognized and works just fine on a Model 3 with 2020.16.2.1.

• Informative
Reactions: ARMARM
Same issue here. Samsung T5 500GB stopped working after last update and is still not recognized in this one. I have tried a few different FAT32 partition sizes but it doesn't seem to matter. (MCU1)

Guess I will be using a smaller USB thumb drive for the time being............

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
I was driving on highway and big truck in front of me, 3 times I put the left turn waiting the car to take left, two time cancelled and one time left turn still on but never change lane.

Othertime I was driving with no cars and it didn't change lane while I pretty sure it was working normally before. So last maybe 5 updates car a little not confident to change lane... And yes I have cleaned my camera
OK, I understand. Thanks for the info. I'm a bit puzzled. Just got back from a 900 mile drive with most of that on AP and didn't see those issues, but maybe my driving patterns are different.

FAT32 dual partitioned Samsung 500GB T5 SSD drive on 2020.20.1 - No issues!

On a side note: Was definitely surprised today when vehicle slowed and stopped....traffic light visualization displayed for first time while on AP approaching red light!!! Didn't think it was capable.

Proceeding through light change got the red hands/wheel flashing several times. Will have to see if I can duplicate this behavior.

Last edited: