Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to love this post 2x.

Don't want to speak for everyone, since I know local driving behaviors are different, but here, driving the speed limit on local roads is SOOOOO slow. People tailgate and honk at people going +5 the speed limit. So when I've wanted to test this feature, I've been riding the accelerator pedal the whole time I'm driving, which means by the time I reach a light, my foot automatically overrides the traffic light warning. It's been so useless.

This culture has to change as we move into autonomous driving. There is no way that any truly Autonomous car will be programmed to routinely break any traffic law, including the speed limit.

It’s possible that some limits are lower than they need to be and can be raised, but the cars will be obeying the law.

Given the needed culture change, I’ll be surprised if Tesla reduces the speed limitations going forward for new features, but that’s not as certain for driving aids.

So when I've wanted to test this feature, I've been riding the accelerator pedal the whole time I'm driving, which means by the time I reach a light, my foot automatically overrides the traffic light warning.

I have stopped using Autosteer when driving local roads because of the speed limit restrictions, but you can still run on cruise control (TACC) and all the features with traffic signals/stop signs will work, you just have to steer yourself. I hope they do soon increase the speed limit, but I think that is still a few updates out when they get more comfortable with the data.

biggest thing I need updated before I'll use this feature again is the traffic light warning and slowdown to be speed sensitive.
or being able to enable/disable the traffic light feature without having to be in park.
The speed sensitivity is that regardless of speed (30-65) it uses the same distances to warn you. Fine at 30 but more like demolition derby at 65.
Being able to enable/disable would be great so I can use regular AP on a fast road but traffic light AP in town.

biggest thing I need updated before I'll use this feature again is the traffic light warning and slowdown to be speed sensitive.
or being able to enable/disable the traffic light feature without having to be in park.
The speed sensitivity is that regardless of speed (30-65) it uses the same distances to warn you. Fine at 30 but more like demolition derby at 65.
Being able to enable/disable would be great so I can use regular AP on a fast road but traffic light AP in town.
We created a second profile for each driver. One has the stop light functionality enabled, the other has it disabled. You can easily switch between profiles while driving to turn the functionality on or off without putting it in Park. If AP is engaged, just disengage, switch profile and re-engage.

Definitely looking forward to this feature. I would assume the next improvement will be the elimination of needing a car in front of you to go thru the light. That will be fun!
I wonder at what point right hand turns will be enabled? Or will they enable proceeding straight thru a Stop sign first? Or something else? I do like the fact they are taking a very cautious incremental approach.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I wonder at what point right hand turns will be enabled? Or will they enable proceeding straight thru a Stop sign first? Or something else? I do like the fact they are taking a very cautious incremental approach.

Tesla will definitely take a cautious incremental approach IMO based on what we've seen so far and because these city driving features are potentially very risky. Going through a red light or blowing through a stop sign can be disastrous.

I could see Tesla releasing the following features at some point:
- Turning right in a turning lane with confirmation then removing the confirmation
- Going straight on green with no confirmation and no lead car
- Going straight after stopping at a stop sign with confirmation then removing the confirmation
- Making turns at stop signs with confirmation

Things like that.

This culture has to change as we move into autonomous driving. There is no way that any truly Autonomous car will be programmed to routinely break any traffic law, including the speed limit.

It’s possible that some limits are lower than they need to be and can be raised, but the cars will be obeying the law.

Given the needed culture change, I’ll be surprised if Tesla reduces the speed limitations going forward for new features, but that’s not as certain for driving aids.

When FSD is solved for all cars, I doubt anyone will mind that the cars are all obeying the letter of the law. In fact, I could see speed limits being INCREASED due to the proven safety of computer-controlled cars. Or speed limits go away completely because the cars take care of that aspect of safety automatically.

In the meantime, from a liability perspective, when AP/FSD is activated, by default it should not exceed the speed limit. However the driver should have the option to override. We have a while to go before every car is FSD, so dealing with that "culture" is a very real thing.

Tesla will definitely take a cautious incremental approach IMO based on what we've seen so far and because these city driving features are potentially very risky. Going through a red light or blowing through a stop sign can be disastrous.

I could see Tesla releasing the following features at some point:
- Turning right in a turning lane with confirmation then removing the confirmation
- Going straight on green with no confirmation and no lead car
- Going straight after stopping at a stop sign with confirmation then removing the confirmation
- Making turns at stop signs with confirmation

Things like that.

I like Tesla's incremental approach to adding and improving features - especially those that are directly safety related. Learn from the data and test various solutions before adopting something new.

It's a complex question. Speed limits are set based on assumptions about the competency and reaction time of drivers .. human drivers. With autonomous cars that equation changes, though I'm not sure anyone yet knows quite by how much or in what way exactly. At what point, for example, will we allow autonomous cars to drive faster than humans on freeways? Or reduce the distance between cars, given they can react far faster than humans? It's already been shown that autonomous cars in communication can co-operate and navigate road intersections without bothering with traffic signals at all.

One wonders if there will be any room for human drivers at all in 30 years.

Uh, what kind of "safety features and enhancements" exactly will they use the cabin camera recordings for? And what is a "safety event"? I would not enable that without at least knowing exactly when and for what purpose the recordings are taken.

Cya, yours and Tesla's. Or medical emergency, or sleeping driver, or how about like the new Android being pulled over app?