Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In autopilot....my speed limit does slow down when entering a lower speed limit zone. I'm still waiting for the change so it automatically speeds back up when entering higher speed limit zones. Why does tesla refuse to automatically increase speed for higher speed limit zones? Why do I have to push the speed limit sign on the touchpad or scroll up on the right scroll wheel?

Mine will accelerate when the speed limit increases. It seems to remember the maximum speed you set with cruise control and use either that or 5mph over the limit, whichever is lower.

Did the update get pulled for Y? I had it offered yesterday but didn't have the car on WiFi. Today it's no longer offered, says I'm up to date (no change to "Advanced" setting, and it I confirmed .36 didn't install OTA).

I was looking for 2020.36 last night and didn't see it as available on my MY either and was wondering why.

Did the update get pulled for Y? I had it offered yesterday but didn't have the car on WiFi. Today it's no longer offered, says I'm up to date (no change to "Advanced" setting, and it I confirmed .36 didn't install OTA).

Same here. Had it show as “available to download’ on both MY’s (one did download once on WiFi, but I hadn’t installed it yet), and now it’s gone on both.

Mine will accelerate when the speed limit increases. It seems to remember the maximum speed you set with cruise control and use either that or 5mph over the limit, whichever is lower.

Ok.....you gave me an idea for a test, and I was able to see that on autopilot it did automatically increase the speed but only under certain conditions, which is inconvenient for city driving (or even freeway driving to be honest).

To clarify, I also did not purchase FSD, though I don't think that would make a difference here.

Lets say I start in a 25mph zone, which changes to 40 then 55. If I start autopilot in the 25mph zone, it does NOT increase your speed when it detects the 40 and 55mph zones. You have to manually click the speed limit button or use the scroll wheel.

However....in the 25mph zone, I tested that if I turn on cruise control, use the scroll wheel to set my cruise control speed to 60 (making sure there is a car in front of me of course), then enter autopilot, it WILL increase my speed automatically when it enters the 40 and 55mpg zones.

Thats ...pretty inconvenient. What is Tesla's reasoning for this? If they are going to have full autonomous driving, they have to let the car speed up to the new speed limit zone. They already let you decide how fast over the speed limit to drive, so if I start autopilot in a speed zone, it will increase to whatever speed set in the options.

Is this the same behavior on the freeway? (I would have to drive far to test that). If I'm on the freeway and start in a 65mph zone, and then it changes to a 70mph, will it still not automatically increase speed to my set +5 over?

Ok.....you gave me an idea for a test, and I was able to see that on autopilot it did automatically increase the speed but only under certain conditions, which is inconvenient for city driving (or even freeway driving to be honest).

To clarify, I also did not purchase FSD, though I don't think that would make a difference here.

Lets say I start in a 25mph zone, which changes to 40 then 55. If I start autopilot in the 25mph zone, it does NOT increase your speed when it detects the 40 and 55mph zones. You have to manually click the speed limit button or use the scroll wheel.

However....in the 25mph zone, I tested that if I turn on cruise control, use the scroll wheel to set my cruise control speed to 60 (making sure there is a car in front of me of course), then enter autopilot, it WILL increase my speed automatically when it enters the 40 and 55mpg zones.

Thats ...pretty inconvenient. What is Tesla's reasoning for this? If they are going to have full autonomous driving, they have to let the car speed up to the new speed limit zone. They already let you decide how fast over the speed limit to drive, so if I start autopilot in a speed zone, it will increase to whatever speed set in the options.

Is this the same behavior on the freeway? (I would have to drive far to test that). If I'm on the freeway and start in a 65mph zone, and then it changes to a 70mph, will it still not automatically increase speed to my set +5 over?

I view it like this: when you set a cruise control speed, the car takes your set speed as an absolute maximum. If you enter autopilot, it will either go your set speed or up to 5mph over the posted speed, whichever is less, so if you set the cruise at 30 and the posted speed increases to 45 it assumes you don’t want to go faster than 30. A bit annoying, I agree, but I think they likely intentionally took the conservative route.

Have you tried going directly to autopilot without setting a cruise speed first? I haven’t specifically tested it but I notice that often the cruise speed is pre-set at the speed limit, so I wonder if you use that for autopilot if it will then automatically follow the speed limit.

Have you tried going directly to autopilot without setting a cruise speed first? I haven’t specifically tested it but I notice that often the cruise speed is pre-set at the speed limit, so I wonder if you use that for autopilot if it will then automatically follow the speed limit.

Yeah, definitely doesn't work...it won't increase speed automatically by going directly into autopilot. I mean, it WILL...if you are in a 60mph speed zone, enter autopilot, speed zone changes to 40, AP slows to 45, and then zone changes back to 60, AP will automatically speed up to 65.

But if you start AP in the 40mph speed zone, it won't speed up automatically in the 60mph speed zone.

I learned that you can cheat it though. Lets say you are at a red light behind another car, in a 30mph zone. You start TAPP, which sets the speed to 35. You then manually scroll the speed up to 60, and then enter AP. AP states that your set speed is 35, but for the duration of your AP session, it will remember your previous TAPP setting allowing 60, and will automatically increase your speed.

However....that is ONLY for the current AP session. So as soon as you exit out of AP, due to any left or right turn which are of course extremely common city driving, it forgets all of your speed zone limits, and starts back at scratch.

Basically right now....yeah...its inconvenient that AP does not automatically increase speed, which I think it should (or Tesla should at least give an option for it). Yes, I agree that its Tesla being conservative right now assuming I DONT want to speed up in a higher speed limit zone...but that just seems wrong to me. If the speed limit increases, its actually DANGEROUS for the car to not speed up to the current speed that all other cars will move at.

Could they be referring to Model S and Model X that do have a separate instrument cluster where the speedometer is contained?

No..its the normal Model Y speedometer....and it does work correctly. Whether you are in TAPP or AP, if you touch the speedometer it will set the current TACC/AP speed limit to your current speed. So for example, if you are in AP and set speed is 60 but you are moving 45, if you click your current 45mph speed, it changes AP set speed to 45.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
I had been reading about a lot of issues with the 2020.36.2 update with the vehicle saying it's going to shut down while driving requiring you to pull over to the side of the road, get out of the vehicle, lock and unlock the doors and then restart. I feel like I should wait until this is resolved before I install the update. I'm hoping the 2020.36.3 is the fix for that. Anyone know?

Actually I just noticed that my car is waiting for the 2020.32.4 update. Should I do it?

Absolutely, especially if it's the first update your Y is pulling down. If you hadn't updated yet, this update should provide functionality like the side reacting cameras, formatting dash cam drive, and improvements to the FSD visualizations. Anecdotally I also felt like AP handled better after the update.

I'm still trying to test and figure out how TACC and AP react to the car now being able to read "posted speed limit signs" so far my car has not responded to a LOWER posted speed limit on TACC or AP. Isn't the car supposed to react to these speed limit signs?

Is that some setting I'm overlooking or not understanding?

I currently have 2020.36.2 and got the notification for 2020.36.3 this morning, but I'm going on a little road trip today so I'm not going to install it until I get home tonight.
be careful, the 36.3 fixed a pretty bad bug for 36.2. 36.2 will shut down the car and tell you to pull over. This happened to me yesterday on the highway. Had to call roadside assistant. Rebooting the car didn't fix it either.. Sat on the highway for about 30 min, then the message went away and I was able to drive again. Canceled Roadside, after. Multiple cars had the same issue, that was probably why they pulled it and send out 36.3 today.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidAsheville
I'm still trying to test and figure out how TACC and AP react to the car now being able to read "posted speed limit signs" so far my car has not responded to a LOWER posted speed limit on TACC or AP. Isn't the car supposed to react to these speed limit signs?

Is that some setting I'm overlooking or not understanding?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

1. TACC just looks at the speed limit when you start TACC and sets the initial speed based on the speed limit. Afterwards...it doesn't look at any speed limit at all. If I start in a 50mph zone, my initial TACC will be 55 (or whatever my speed limit options area). It won't slow down or speed up due to speed limit zones after that. It only reacts to how fast a car is in front of you.

2. AP on city roads/nondivided highways SHOULD slow you down when seeing a slower speed limit zone. Mine is doing that correctly. It will speed you up if you had a previous speed limit set that was that speed or higher during your current AP session (see my posts above).

3. AP on divided highways/freeways.....I don't think AP actually looks at speed limits on a highway. I think it behaves more like TACC. I don't drive much on the freeway so haven't been able to experience it myself. Though with NOA (if you bought FSD)....I would assume it HAS to react to speed limits lowering and raising? Otherwise it would be dangerous?

Except for 2017 and 2018 models that have HW 2.5 and need to be upgraded only IF the owner purchases FSD.

He said "All MYs have v3 hardware regardless of options". There are no 2017 and 2018 Model Ys.

be careful, the 36.3 fixed a pretty bad bug for 36.2. 36.2 will shut down the car and tell you to pull over. This happened to me yesterday on the highway. Had to call roadside assistant. Rebooting the car didn't fix it either.. Sat on the highway for about 30 min, then the message went away and I was able to drive again. Canceled Roadside, after. Multiple cars had the same issue, that was probably why they pulled it and send out 36.3 today.

Wow, did not know this was happening, and saw this after our trip, but fortunately we made it home without any issues. Installing 36.3 now

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

1. TACC just looks at the speed limit when you start TACC and sets the initial speed based on the speed limit. Afterwards...it doesn't look at any speed limit at all. If I start in a 50mph zone, my initial TACC will be 55 (or whatever my speed limit options area). It won't slow down or speed up due to speed limit zones after that. It only reacts to how fast a car is in front of you.

2. AP on city roads/nondivided highways SHOULD slow you down when seeing a slower speed limit zone. Mine is doing that correctly. It will speed you up if you had a previous speed limit set that was that speed or higher during your current AP session (see my posts above).

3. AP on divided highways/freeways.....I don't think AP actually looks at speed limits on a highway. I think it behaves more like TACC. I don't drive much on the freeway so haven't been able to experience it myself. Though with NOA (if you bought FSD)....I would assume it HAS to react to speed limits lowering and raising? Otherwise it would be dangerous?

I found a stretch of road near my house that goes from 55 to 40 to 30 and as you said TACC didn't react, tried it again on AP and it did. I had to make sure there were no cars in front of me to influence any of the tests. I still find it odd that TACC doesn't react to posted speed limits. But at least I know how the car is designed and reacts to various scenarios.

Thanks for the info

Reactions: bicar
TACC-only is happy to go any speed you you can set it too. Autosteer has its own speed restriction of speed limit plus 5 MPH on "city" streets.

We were driving on State Highway(?) 27 here in North Carolina, using 2020.36 in our Model X, mostly with TACC+Autosteer. It had stretches of city driving where the +5 MPH speed limit was enforced and the rest of it had no such restriction.

If we approached one of the +5 MPH limited sections the car would slow by itself to 5 MPH over the limit and display a message about it. It would do that several times if the speed limit kept decreasing. Then when leaving the town the car would automatically speed up as the speed limits increased, until it reached my original set max limit. So the Autosteer limit will automatically increase (up to your manually set max speed) and decrease your speed as the speed limit changes.

The one exception I saw was if you adjusted the set speed down for some reason that would reset the max speed setting. With Autosteer active you cannot then set any speed higher than +5 MPH over the limit. In those cases I was stuck increasing my max speed setting manually as the speed limit increased.

I would think, as mentioned in earlier posts, if you dropped out of Autosteer and into TACC-only you could set any max speed you wanted (up to 90 MPH) and then re-enable Autosteer to get it to raise your speed as the speed limit increases. Kind of awkward, but possible. I haven't tried that.

We did see a construction speed limit sign with the limit shown with a dot matrix of lights. It clearly said Speed Limit and nothing else and the numbers were easily read, but it did not show up on the dash display like normal speed limit signs. All the cones around it showed up! So just one corner case I've seen so far. There were a ton of speed limit errors from the nav while we were on I40. We're looking forward to a big improvement on the way back.