Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.26 Did you get Boombox?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y 15xxx and installed the update. No boombox option, I'm assuming due to the lack of speaker. I understand that all Ys came with the required plug so I have an email in to the parts counter for a price and availability on one. If not too expensive, I may retrofit. If anyone is able to get it installed for free however, please keep us posted :).

Check out this video -

Looks like even with the addition of a speaker Bookbox doesnt work .,,,, certainly good to know..if anybody does get a service appointment happening please let us know here. Ive got a 13th Jan appointment booked, but i would not really want to get the speaker added if Boombox doesnt work..

Maybe yes, maybe no. He screwed up by not putting the speaker in before the update. As shown in his previous video where he had to reboot, the software is aware of the configuration. Rebooting got the speaker working as previously but no boombox. He should have installed the speaker before the update for a better test.

Maybe yes, maybe no. He screwed up by not putting the speaker in before the update. As shown in his previous video where he had to reboot, the software is aware of the configuration. Rebooting got the speaker working as previously but no boombox. He should have installed the speaker before the update for a better test.
My understanding is that he did, but it is not 100% clear.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My Tesla Y is a very early VIN one of the first on east coast. It has the pedestrian speaker from factory. Received update last night and did not get boom box. Kinda surprised because you would think having it from factory it would get update. This leads me to agree that they based it on build date not equipment.

I scheduled a Tesla appointment this week because I am having battery issues (max charge only shows 225 mile range) I will ask about boombox.

My Tesla Y is a very early VIN one of the first on east coast. It has the pedestrian speaker from factory. Received update last night and did not get boom box. Kinda surprised because you would think having it from factory it would get update. This leads me to agree that they based it on build date not equipment.

I scheduled a Tesla appointment this week because I am having battery issues (max charge only shows 225 mile range) I will ask about boombox.
I'm in the same boat.. February built.
Disappointed to say the least.

So I have a 2020 Y Performance VIN 39XXX and didn’t get the Boombox feature. Thought I read on other forums and Twitter that mid 2019 forward the external speaker was required.

Did your Y get the feature and if so what VIN?
Boombox feature is there but when I tried it no external sound, Model Y with VIN 5Yxxxxx. The strange thing is external emissions (fart noise) does work.

My buddy just submitted an app request for Tesla to install the speaker. The system scheduled his appt for Jan 6th. He’s waiting for the estimate. We’ll see how this plays out.
I have an appointment to install it on Dec 31. Not sure it will work out, if they have that in stock and whatnot. I'll try to update you guys.
Check out this video -
Looks like even with the addition of a speaker Bookbox doesnt work .,,,, certainly good to know..if anybody does get a service appointment happening please let us know here. Ive got a 13th Jan appointment booked, but i would not really want to get the speaker added if Boombox doesnt work..
We booked a service request and they indicated there's nothing they can do about it currently. We already have the speaker so we probably just need a software update or for them to change the configuration to indicate there's a speaker installed. Others (such as @BMax_V.2 ) who had the speaker from day one (very early deliveries) reported the PWS works but they still don't have Boombox.

Mine is a June build and Daerik was a March build and his worked after the reset.
I’m installing a speaker now (Prius PWS) just to see if it’s just noise without boom box or both.
Actually, the first DÆrik Model Y was a March build. The second one was a June build.

I thought every car after 9/2019 had it. So my Y’s 5 months old and doesn’t have it? Cool
They started installing in all cars in September 2020

My understanding is that he did, but it is not 100% clear.
The speaker was installed before the update. After the update was done, the regular PWS worked fine but the Boombox feature was not available.

Reactions: DanDi58
Tried to make an appointment to get the speaker installed. I have a very early build. Tesla denied it:

Hello from Tesla Mobile the Pedestrian Warning Speaker is not available for retrofit on vehicles where it was not built on originally
That clearly is not correct. We have seen it retrofitted unless that video was faked! Sounds like the answer is it is not available for free.