Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Deliveries - Paint better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much. Every week the service center has new car paint rectifications. Sometimes a touch-up guy can air brush in the parking lot. Other times the car has to be sent to a 3rd party body shop. Most cars do NOT get sent to the Tesal Body Shop. There are still diet inclusions, hinges not getting sprayed, fisheyes, and all other types of paint defects.

I was fortunate to be able to inspect my M3 before buying it, as it was newly delivered, non-ordered just off the truck.

I became interested in Tesla in January when on CNBC they were discussing the quarterly results and referenced this new Model Y that was rated at over 300 miles. "Hey, that's what I've been looking for" I thought, as our drive is seasonally hauling ourselves and lots of belongings back and forth Maine/Florida.

I had the goal of getting an EV when I turned 70 (tomorrow, btw) for "my last car". Did my research, mostly on this site, and ordered a Y.

In March I was getting my ICE serviced in JAX, so drove the short ways to the Tesla sales center to see if they had any Ys. Closed: Covid. Sign in the windows directs to the service center a few miles away. To my liking they had just received 1/2 dozen or so Ys (and 3s). So, this being the closest I'd ever been to a Tesla, I explained that I had an order in but wouldn't buy one without a good test drive. Salesperson explains that all they have on the lot were spoken for and he wouldn't even open one for me to look inside. Not the trunk, even. Finally, he says that they have a car on an auxiliary lot a couple of miles away. Takes me there, shows me the basic controls, enters the address of the service center into navigation and says that I have one-half hour with the car.

Trying to make this short, I won't go into details about the drive, other than the road noise/wind concerns were alleviated for me, and the bottom line was: "I'm getting one of these!"

Back at the delivery/service center I see a MSM/White 3 (I'd decided that I've never been an SUV guy and couldn't become one now). "So, these are all sold? Like that one there?" Him: "Let me check....no, that must have come in the last couple of days and isn't spoken for."

So, I was able to go over it, and over it..... Paint, fit, everything fine! Went home, got my title to the ICE, stopped at CarMax got a quote (which was suspiciously exactly the same as Tesla's quote, to the dollar). Drove back home in my new Tesla Model 3! Wife says "I see you got your 70th birthday present early".

So, back on topic: I've bought many vehicles new: many Hondas, a Saab, an Infinity, 4 BMWs, (most recently two VW Sportwagens) etc. I have been over this car very closely by washing it many times, ("Your washing that car again!"), and waxing it a couple: To me the paint job is excellent; as good as any other I have purchased. Actually, I think it is better than most. Maybe it's the clearcoat on the metallic that makes it more luxurious to me, as the BMWs, Infinity, Saab, and VWs were all white or black. It appears thick, coverage is complete.

I recently found one small spot on the trunk lid that must have been a piece of dust, as it appears as if the lid was poked by something from the inside (which is impossible due to the internal plastic cover). I only noticed it now, 4 months after delivery probably due to the way the morning sun shines on the rear when the garage door is open. But other than that, everything good!
What a great story! Hope you had a great 70th!