Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Long Range Plus Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a 2020 Model S with a claimed range of 391 mi. I did a range charge yesterday morning and the Model S indicated my range to be 361 mi. I didn't need a range charge for my trip from Las Vegas to Joshua Tree National Park, but I wanted to see the maximum range of my car that had less than 1000 mi on the odometer.

One of the important considerations for trading in my P85+ was to get range approaching 400 mi. I am not happy with 361 mi of range.

I opted for the 19 in Tempest wheels with the covers to ensure no loss of range. The temperature was near 70 degrees F yesterday morning and range mode was utilized for the AC.

Has anybody achieved 391 mi of range?

• Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
I, too, own a Raven Long Range Model S. Does it have the 400 miles of range I claim it does? Of course. But only if I drive 60 mph.

Tesla measures range of their cars at a steady speed of 65 miles per hour. The speed limit on most of that stretch of road is 70 mph, and people do 80. I'm sure, though, you were doing 65. I would never doubt that a minute. Maybe longer.

Please understand, what eats up range is speed. Don't feel bad that you aren't getting a lot of range when you speed. And please understand that gas cars also get horrible range on a tank when they speed, just like electrics.

The car gives you an estimate based on your recent driving, and I would imagine it didn't tell you that you had 400 miles of range. But what ever the range is, it's a LOT better than the Model S 90D, which got about 240 on that stretch, and that was going slow behind a semi.

...Does it have the 400 miles of range I claim it does? Of course. But only if I drive 60 mph...

391 miles is the result from EPA when it tested with all established factors (same exact speed, acceleration, temperature, heater, A/C...) that it would do to all other cars as well and not just Tesla Model S.

Base on that result, when calibrated correctly at the factory, your instrument cluster must show 391 miles or better at 100% charge.

A hypermiler can alter the EPA testing factors such as speed to gain more than 391 miles in reality even though the instrument shows 391 miles at 100% charge but that's another story.

I, too, own a Raven Long Range Model S. Does it have the 400 miles of range I claim it does? Of course. But only if I drive 60 mph.

Tesla measures range of their cars at a steady speed of 65 miles per hour. The speed limit on most of that stretch of road is 70 mph, and people do 80. I'm sure, though, you were doing 65. I would never doubt that a minute. Maybe longer.

Please understand, what eats up range is speed. Don't feel bad that you aren't getting a lot of range when you speed. And please understand that gas cars also get horrible range on a tank when they speed, just like electrics.

The car gives you an estimate based on your recent driving, and I would imagine it didn't tell you that you had 400 miles of range. But what ever the range is, it's a LOT better than the Model S 90D, which got about 240 on that stretch, and that was going slow behind a semi.
What range does your car indicate?

The car does not calculate range based on driving habits, It is based on total battery kW available.

I recently took delivery of a 2020 Model S with a claimed range of 391 mi. I did a range charge yesterday morning and the Model S indicated my range to be 361 mi. I didn't need a range charge for my trip from Las Vegas to Joshua Tree National Park, but I wanted to see the maximum range of my car that had less than 1000 mi on the odometer.

One of the important considerations for trading in my P85+ was to get range approaching 400 mi. I am not happy with 361 mi of range.

I opted for the 19 in Tempest wheels with the covers to ensure no loss of range. The temperature was near 70 degrees F yesterday morning and range mode was utilized for the AC.

Has anybody achieved 391 mi of range?

Congratulations on your new Model S! You used the Rated setting? If so, you may want to contact your salesperson. On Tesla's site it specifically says 391 miles estimated maximum range.

Also I don't use Range Mode since to the best of my knowledge, that limits battery cooling.

In the video below, the Model S Raven (I believe this was purchased before the Long Range Plus) did obtain 400 miles as an estimated maximum.

Go to 13:27:

Some factors that affect range:

Speed: Slower speeds can help conserve energy
Weight: If your car is fully loaded, it will use more energy in order to reach your destination
Tire pressure: At or slightly above the recommended level can increase range
Temperature: Very low temperatures can reduce range

A Model S 100D (2018 or prior) set a record range of 701 miles on a single charge. More here:
Tesla Model S, Model 3 set hypermile records: 701 mi. (1128 km) and 623 mi. (1001 km), respectively

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I have 1300 miles on my LR+. I have yet to charge to 100%, but at 90% I get 352 range (rated, range mode on). 352/.9 = 391...

Anyone else notice the car has just dropped $5K in price this evening?
Yep. No more free supercharging either.

I have 22K miles on my 11 month old 100D MS LR and recently scheduled a service request over a 312 mile range down from 335. They did a remote diagnostic and told me that there was a cell imbalance that had been corrected (not sure how) and that my home charging habits were largely responsible for this imbalance. They suggested I use scheduled charging that would allow the car to "rest" a few hours before and after each charge. So far the range has increased to 317 using this method for a few days. This is still in the lowest 4% of like vehicles of the same age and mileage (there are 50 on TeslaFi). Their diagnostic revealed no issues or significant battery degradation and they noted that range was only an estimate of actual miles available. This along with a moderate warning about excessive supercharging and battery degradation.

Still I seem to get the same range as always on long trips from stop to stop.