Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 Performance Road Noise: New Tires? Hankook Ion Evo AS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: Can I expect a quieter ride switching from Michelin 235/35 ZR20 92Y to Hankook Ion Evo AS?

Hello and thanks for all the help ya'll have already provided. I just traded my 2019 Model 3 Long Range AB for a 2020 Model 3 Performance. The Long Range had ridiculous rattles and squeaks but no road noise whatsoever. The feel of driving that car was magnificent. My Performance has no rattles but the road noise is terrible. I know this has been covered extensively: I have already installed this weatherstripping kit with negligible effectiveness: DOTAATDW Car Weather Stripping for Tesla Model 3 Door Rubber Seal Self Adhesive | eBay

The low frequency 'roar' with acceleration is what bothers me. The pitch of the roar changes with the texture of the road I'm on, and the volume increases with acceleration.
Is the solution just buying quieter tires? I've seen all the videos talking about inserting plastic in door seals, insulating the A/B pillars, putting double bubble wrap in trunk/frunk etc. But I just feel like the noise is coming from the tires. Can anyone vouch for the quietness of the 20" Hankook Ion?

Side point, The Performance driving experience is brilliant. It feels even better than the LRAB. I'm happy to talk about that more extensively if anyone is interested.

I can vouch for the Hankook iON AS 19s as they perform actually a little better and are noticeably quieter than the Michelin PS 4 AS that I have as well.

For some context I drive the YP and 3P almost 50/50 and we've driven both cars in a lot of snow this winter. The Hankook's perform very well in both wet and dry conditions.

Get the Hankook's hands down. I can't wait to have to swap out my Michelin's on my M3P. The PS4 AS are great tires, but the noise is atrocious.

Last edited:
Choice of tyres makes a big difference. Which Michelins are they?
Bubble wrap will make no difference whatsoever, regardless of what someone on You Tube might say 😁
Reducing road noise is relatively low frequency sound and that requires thick, heavy, soundproofing materials not Jiffy Bags!
On the whole, an 'E' tyre is likely to be quieter than a sports tyre or an all-season tyre, but there can be a big variation between specfic tyre models.

Pilot Sport All Season 235/40/R19 ... (On my M3P). However...

I forgot to mention that a friend has a MYP with 19x8.5 wheels on Michelin PS AS (255/45/R19), same size wheels and tires as on my MYP, except with the Hankook iONs ....

It's noticeable.

The Michelin's have a high pitch rough and gritty annoying tone vs the Hankook's that have a deeper and mellow tone that isn't annoying.

Reactions: canasion35
All seasons and winters are always going to be at the noisier end of the spectrum. And some people aren't bothered by noises others find really annoying.
It's subjective, which is why it's not easy to give recommendations.

All seasons and winters are always going to be at the noisier end of the spectrum. And some people aren't bothered by noises others find really annoying.
It's subjective, which is why it's not easy to give recommendations.

The OP was inquiring about AS, not winter tires and indeed it's true that winter tires are noisier, but that's a big given that winter tires are loud. This specific fact isn't subjective.

Many things can be subjective; however, when it comes to this specific topic between the Michelin's and Hankook's, it's a pretty clear win to Hankook's for its overall quietness. It's one of those things where you could do a double blind test and the results would side on it being "obvious" rather than it even being close to being "subjective."

To each their own, but as someone who owns both tires, especially with having access to an apples to apples comparison with my friends MYP that has the exact wheel size and tire size, I'm sharing my experience with the OP in what I find is definitive, rather than being something loosely subjective.

The Hankook's are noticeably quieter than the Michelin's, therefore, I find it to be very easy to give a recommendation based on real world experience, not just by me, but by many others who have all commented on how much quieter our MYP is with the Hankook's.

TLDR: Can I expect a quieter ride switching from Michelin 235/35 ZR20 92Y to Hankook Ion Evo AS?

Hello and thanks for all the help ya'll have already provided. I just traded my 2019 Model 3 Long Range AB for a 2020 Model 3 Performance. The Long Range had ridiculous rattles and squeaks but no road noise whatsoever. The feel of driving that car was magnificent. My Performance has no rattles but the road noise is terrible. I know this has been covered extensively: I have already installed this weatherstripping kit with negligible effectiveness: DOTAATDW Car Weather Stripping for Tesla Model 3 Door Rubber Seal Self Adhesive | eBay

The low frequency 'roar' with acceleration is what bothers me. The pitch of the roar changes with the texture of the road I'm on, and the volume increases with acceleration.
Is the solution just buying quieter tires? I've seen all the videos talking about inserting plastic in door seals, insulating the A/B pillars, putting double bubble wrap in trunk/frunk etc. But I just feel like the noise is coming from the tires. Can anyone vouch for the quietness of the 20" Hankook Ion?

Side point, The Performance driving experience is brilliant. It feels even better than the LRAB. I'm happy to talk about that more extensively if anyone is interested.

Actually, how about that.... it looks like we're generally in the same neck of the woods. Feel free to DM me and if I'm ever out your way, we could meet up for coffee or something and you're more than welcome to experience the MYP in person.