Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MX LR+ Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So because I always relied on these forums in advance, wanted to share my experience...

Placed order for new MX LR+ 6/2, received text it was enroute to delivery center (SoCal, Costa Mesa) 6/6 and scheduled delivery for 6/8 (still to happen, so update may be required).

Gotta say, buying a ~$100k car from your iphone is kinda surreal, but it works! Honestly, you read all these experiences and wonder what yours will be like but so far, couldn’t be smoother or easier. I do miss the good ol haggel at a car dealership, but I took last weeks $5k drop to be my “5% off sticker” haha. Whatever.

An hour or two after placing the deposit / order, I had a text message exchange with a local sales rep that would be my advisor through the process... he responded instantly or within reason to any question I had which was all I could have asked for. He answered of confirmed any questions I had as I went through the online process... interestingly, very minimal email confirmations/updates, really need to keep checking the Tesla account portal for updates - and some come through texts.

Hopefully the positive experience continues Monday through the delivery- any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask! Will update after delivery-

I took delivery of a 2020 MX LR+ last week. Came from a 2017 Model X, the delivery experience now was night and day better. I'm in Tampa, Florida and until recently the only delivery center was a very small strip office building around an hour from where I live. Very difficult to get to, small and uncomfortable. They opened a new service center closer to me with a separate dedicated deliver center next door. They had individual tables with printed sheets with everyone's name who was taking delivery that day, right next to a covered area where they pulled up the car. It was a piece of cake and a pleasure. Unlike the first time in 2017. Haha. :)

Reactions: E Dizzle and av8tor
So because I always relied on these forums in advance, wanted to share my experience...

Placed order for new MX LR+ 6/2, received text it was enroute to delivery center (SoCal, Costa Mesa) 6/6 and scheduled delivery for 6/8 (still to happen, so update may be required).

Gotta say, buying a ~$100k car from your iphone is kinda surreal, but it works! Honestly, you read all these experiences and wonder what yours will be like but so far, couldn’t be smoother or easier. I do miss the good ol haggel at a car dealership, but I took last weeks $5k drop to be my “5% off sticker” haha. Whatever.

An hour or two after placing the deposit / order, I had a text message exchange with a local sales rep that would be my advisor through the process... he responded instantly or within reason to any question I had which was all I could have asked for. He answered of confirmed any questions I had as I went through the online process... interestingly, very minimal email confirmations/updates, really need to keep checking the Tesla account portal for updates - and some come through texts.

Hopefully the positive experience continues Monday through the delivery- any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask! Will update after delivery-

I, too, took delivery of a new MX LR+ last Thursday. Ask your sales rep for the phone number and email for the delivery center. I told the sales rep that I wanted to change my delivery appointment due to the protests in the area, and the delivery center called and changed the appointment time. It was seamless and very efficient. The process has improved so much since my last purchase in 2017. Hope you enjoy the new MX...we love the new car!

Reactions: E Dizzle
We took delivery of our X LR+ this past Friday coming from a 2017 X 75D and they delivered to our house this time vs. the Fremont delivery center. Couldn’t be easier. So far the upgrades of greater range (our main driver to upgrade), faster MCU2, Dashcam, Sentry mode (with recordings), Entertainment with Netflix/YouTube and games (mostly for the kids), and new front seats make for a nice upgrade.

Congrats on your new X, hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: E Dizzle and av8tor
Thanks all for your experience, collectively sounds pretty good as well, so that’s promising! I did get a call from delivery center yesterday (Sunday) stating that it was due to arrive to them at 8am today and they were concerned that they wouldn’t have enough time to inspect/prep for the 4pm delivery so might need to push it to tomorrow, which is fair, if true. I’d rather they took their time and did it right rather than rush it and they seemed genuine enough about it, so we’ll see - they were supposed to call mid-day with an update of if it would be ready or not today, but seeing as they changed the appointment to tomorrow, I have a feeling they will just work to that.

Thanks all for your experience, collectively sounds pretty good as well, so that’s promising! I did get a call from delivery center yesterday (Sunday) stating that it was due to arrive to them at 8am today and they were concerned that they wouldn’t have enough time to inspect/prep for the 4pm delivery so might need to push it to tomorrow, which is fair, if true. I’d rather they took their time and did it right rather than rush it and they seemed genuine enough about it, so we’ll see - they were supposed to call mid-day with an update of if it would be ready or not today, but seeing as they changed the appointment to tomorrow, I have a feeling they will just work to that.

Were you able to get the car? If so - what do you think?

I definitely owe an update - been a bit consumed with the new toy though!! So the delivery center did call on Monday and said it was there and that I could come get it at 4pm if I wanted- of course I wanted! My wife drove me there and dropped me off and shortly after 4pm they pulled it around for me to check out and sign a few DMV papers. All looked really good, and they were working really hard to deliver cars given the social distancing and all and there were a steady stream of people coming to pick up cars.

The car was clean, but could have been a bit more “detailed”, I think they really rushed the delivery prep, but honestly, I like to do a good thorough detail myself and the less of them touching it the better. I found only 2 issues after looking pretty closely- one was the right taillight had a small crack at bottom edge. I showed one of the delivery team and they took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them to the service center- said they could normally swap it out there, but the tech to do it wasn’t there. She recommended I make a mobile service appointment and they would come to me and replace it, so that is scheduled for tomorrow. The other was pretty minor, and that was the charge door seems aligned a bit high so it closes on the body a bit, rather than in its recess. Very minor, but I don’t know if it will rub the paint there over time. I added that to the service visit as well so we’ll see what they can do about that. In general, panel gaps and alignment all seemed acceptable.

The only other weird thing was I could initially not figure out how to make the radio sound come out the speakers- all indications showed the volume increasing and decreasing with the controls, mute/unmute, but still no sound! Thought I was really missing something so embarrassedly called an advisor over and he confirmed I was doing everything right so he reset the computer and all was good. He said after they reopened Fremont last week, they’ve been rushing cars out, letting the delivery centers do all the final checks and reboots. Oh well, hopefully not an omen of other rushed things!

This was my first experience even in a Tesla and I was pleased. The regen braking is still taking some getting used to. Coming from an Audi SQ5, it does feel a bit heavier, but not too bad. Haven’t had a chance to do a real acceleration test yet, but off the line, it doesn’t seem all that quicker than the SQ5, but the smooth pull of the electric motors and no shifting of that ridiculous transmission is really nice. Where it’s really noticeable though is at about 70mph and you step on it, it still pulls just like it does at the slow speeds - guess that’s the “instant torque” they talk about! I was a bit worried after reading about ride quality with the 22” wheels, but so far it seems no different than the SQ5 that had 21” wheels.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and the car is amazing, though still so much to learn!! One of the biggest factors in getting a Tesla was the tech and autopilot to ease the socal commute traffic. Right now, the traffic is still Covid-good, but that won’t last forever and I’ll really be looking forward to those features when the need is there.

If anyone has any specific questions about the car or process, I’m more than happy to answer!

I definitely owe an update - been a bit consumed with the new toy though!! So the delivery center did call on Monday and said it was there and that I could come get it at 4pm if I wanted- of course I wanted! My wife drove me there and dropped me off and shortly after 4pm they pulled it around for me to check out and sign a few DMV papers. All looked really good, and they were working really hard to deliver cars given the social distancing and all and there were a steady stream of people coming to pick up cars.

The car was clean, but could have been a bit more “detailed”, I think they really rushed the delivery prep, but honestly, I like to do a good thorough detail myself and the less of them touching it the better. I found only 2 issues after looking pretty closely- one was the right taillight had a small crack at bottom edge. I showed one of the delivery team and they took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them to the service center- said they could normally swap it out there, but the tech to do it wasn’t there. She recommended I make a mobile service appointment and they would come to me and replace it, so that is scheduled for tomorrow. The other was pretty minor, and that was the charge door seems aligned a bit high so it closes on the body a bit, rather than in its recess. Very minor, but I don’t know if it will rub the paint there over time. I added that to the service visit as well so we’ll see what they can do about that. In general, panel gaps and alignment all seemed acceptable.

The only other weird thing was I could initially not figure out how to make the radio sound come out the speakers- all indications showed the volume increasing and decreasing with the controls, mute/unmute, but still no sound! Thought I was really missing something so embarrassedly called an advisor over and he confirmed I was doing everything right so he reset the computer and all was good. He said after they reopened Fremont last week, they’ve been rushing cars out, letting the delivery centers do all the final checks and reboots. Oh well, hopefully not an omen of other rushed things!

This was my first experience even in a Tesla and I was pleased. The regen braking is still taking some getting used to. Coming from an Audi SQ5, it does feel a bit heavier, but not too bad. Haven’t had a chance to do a real acceleration test yet, but off the line, it doesn’t seem all that quicker than the SQ5, but the smooth pull of the electric motors and no shifting of that ridiculous transmission is really nice. Where it’s really noticeable though is at about 70mph and you step on it, it still pulls just like it does at the slow speeds - guess that’s the “instant torque” they talk about! I was a bit worried after reading about ride quality with the 22” wheels, but so far it seems no different than the SQ5 that had 21” wheels.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and the car is amazing, though still so much to learn!! One of the biggest factors in getting a Tesla was the tech and autopilot to ease the socal commute traffic. Right now, the traffic is still Covid-good, but that won’t last forever and I’ll really be looking forward to those features when the need is there.

If anyone has any specific questions about the car or process, I’m more than happy to answer!

Congratulations! I still have my 2013 Audi 7, and it is such a rush to open the throttle when I think I am alone on 241 tollway late at night...but my 2020 MX LR+ can really pull away from any traffic that my Audi can never match! Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: MXLRplus

FWIW, charge door alignment can be fixed by mobile service. They fixed mine in my garage. Took under 30 minutes for the Ranger to open up the inside rear panel, get to the charge door mechanism, fix the alignment, and put it back together. I was upstairs working so I don't know exactly what he had did, but it was quick.

Having your car fixed at your house while you do something else is one the "luxuries" I like about owning a Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus

Congratulations on your purchase! Unfortunately for you, everything else is now in your rear-view mirror. The idea of ever buying an ICE vehicle is going to disappear any second.

What's amazing about any Tesla is that the more you learn about it, the more you want to learn. And the longer you own it, the more it improves. Looking forward to seeing what you think after a couple weeks of ownership! Curious if there's really anything about the SQ5 that you'll miss.

For us .... we've had a Model 3 now for about a year and a half. It's finally time to upgrade our Enclave to a Model X. Just got our delivery date of 6/24; going to be a long 12 days! This'll be my wife's vehicle so I also want to see what she thinks. We were at a point where the only time she drove the Enclave is when I was out somewhere else with the 3. Otherwise, she took my car everywhere. Hoping to get mine back now.... hahaha!

Congrats again - best of luck with it and I look forward to your reviews.

Thanks all for the comments!

This afternoon mobile service Rangers came to replace the tail light and align the charge port door... it was quite the work to get the tail light swapped, took over 2 hours for just the tail light so the didn’t get to the charge door, but said they’d come back in the morning to do that. They said the back end of the X is much more complex than some of the other models and just takes a long time to disconnect and reconnect everything around there.

Once they left, I went to move cars around so I could charge on the temporary 30A dryer outlet in garage until I run 60A for the wall connector, and when I get in, there’s an alert that the 12v battery is low and needs replacing and that the vehicle can’t charge either. Fun. I texted the tech from the service call and he called me right back- at 6pm on a Friday night! He apologized and said that he was no longer working so couldn’t look it up, but assured me it was very common error and likely could be resolved when they are back in the morning so we shall see...

I’ll update after tomorrow’s service-