Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Price Drop? [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never understood the demand in the US for SUVs and crossovers. SUV's maybe if you have a pack of kids, but crossovers really don't do much more for you than a sedan. So when it comes to Model 3 vs Model Y, I think the Model 3 had a minimal advantage for people wanting a larger car and disadvantage with 40 miles less range, etc. Then again, I have not seen a Model Y up close.

When it comes to dropping the price of a Model 3 next quarter or year, I suspect that it will not happen. I agree that the $1875 tax credit is not a major issue with most buyers. If you're going to spend well over $50K on a car, then a thousand or two less is not a big deal.

The problem with Teslas in general is that they are well beyond the affordability for the majority of Americans. Most people are struggling to get by, and a $50,000 car is not something they will deal with. We are all fortunate that we can afford these cars. Most people cannot. It will require a major effort for new incentives from our government to make bEVs a people's car. So dropping the price a thousand or two still excludes a good proportion of the people in this country.

The same is true in other countries. There is a limited market of sorts. People just can't afford these things in 2020. So I have no idea what Tesla will do in the future. For now, it will be the "haves" and the "have nots."

Yes, I think SUV’s are just plain ugly. But hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As for affordability, maybe the average consumer can’t afford the AWD or Performance version. But looking at the SR+ cost of ownership over five years it’s been found to be less than a Toyota Camry (Tesla Model 3 vs. Toyota Camry — 5 Year Cost of Ownership Comparisons | CleanTechnica). So if people take the time to learn how much they can save in overall costs the Tesla becomes an easy sell.

But Tesla spends virtually nothing on advertising, and they do very little to educate the consumer on why they should buy one. They don’t need to (yet) because they are supply constrained. When other manufacturers have competitive EVs to sell we will likely see a marketing push to educate the consumers on their benefits. Tesla will benefit from this education in the long run, as will all manufacturers.

EV’s are the future. Look at the roadster. It will be the fastest production car you can buy, yet you can run it on about $30/month worth of electricity. How can anyone expect to compete with that with a gas guzzling V12 sports car? It will take time, but eventually ICE cars will be looked at as about as relevant as retail shopping malls are today. Tesla is the Amazon of the car industry.

Reactions: waterbrain
of course there is going to be a price drop soon. Once the Model Y is available..nobody is going to chose the the 3 over the Y at the same price. They will drop the 3 because
1.Tax credit
2. Model Y
3. Its actually getting cheaper for them to build with battery cost going down.

Problems with your post-

1. Thusfar they're selling them faster than they can build em- and the tax credit is small enough now it's unlikely to hurt demand much when it goes away. More likely as the Y is coming online early-mid next year they'd either keep the 3 as is if demand remains strong, or if they DO finally see any demand dip, just move those resources to building more Ys (since they share like 65-75% of the same parts anyway and are both being built in Fremont)

2. Which is $3500 more, less range, and slower- so yeah many folks would choose the 3 over the Y since they're NOT the same price (or performance, or range)

3. That only helps profit, doesn't require price cuts. They might reinvest that in more V3 supercharger rollout, or getting the semi or cybertruck done faster, or building the german GF.

Reactions: house9
You guys can disagree with me all you want..maybe because you dont want your M3 to lose value. Also of note..i have a M3. Elon himself has said the Model Y will outsell all of the other Models combined. Sedans like the model 3 are less and less popular. Given the Y looks and is pretty much the same car but with more space and hatchback, ppl are going to purchase that. Im willing to bet that most M3 owners now are not purchased by families. Most family want a SUV with a hatchback and cannot afford a MX. Its not rocket science, the Y will sell A TON. They will cut the price of the 3 and maybe the SR+ will finally be the $35k version you can purchased on the website. I understand you can purchase the SR off menu but the majority of ppl have no idea what that means or it even exist.

You guys can disagree with me all you want..maybe because you dont want your M3 to lose value. Also of note..i have a M3. Elon himself has said the Model Y will outsell all of the other Models combined. Sedans like the model 3 are less and less popular. Given the Y looks and is pretty much the same car but with more space and hatchback, ppl are going to purchase that. Im willing to bet that most M3 owners now are not purchased by families. Most family want a SUV with a hatchback and cannot afford a MX. Its not rocket science, the Y will sell A TON. They will cut the price of the 3 and maybe the SR+ will finally be the $35k version you can purchased on the website. I understand you can purchase the SR off menu but the majority of ppl have no idea what that means or it even exist.
I'm not sure the Model Y will take too many sales from the 3. I think there are a whole new batch of buyers that will buy the Y. According to this site U.S. car market: by vehicle type 2019 | Statista 40% of the vehicles sold in the US in 2019 were crossovers. 5% were luxury cars. 10% were mid-size vehicles. Not sure whether the 3 would be considered luxury or mid-sized, but it accounts for somewhere between 5 and 10% of the market. Those buyers were looking for a luxury/mid size when they bought. As soon as the Y is available, 40% of the market will be potential buyers of the Y. I think that's why we can expect the Y to outsell the 3 by such a margin. Not because the 3 is obsolete, but rather because Tesla will now have a crossover vehicle that appeals to 40% of the new car buyers in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: jon0351
Regarding price cuts, I think once Gigafactory 3 is supplying cars to China and Gigafactory 4 is supplying cars to Europe, the cost of cars coming out of Fremont can go down considerably because the distribution costs will be way, way down. That along with improved battery technology has the potential to make huge impacts in Tesla's operating costs. I can only imagine that delivery times will be much better at that point as well.

There is no doubt that Model Y will take away some sales from Model 3. But Tesla is producing such a small number of total cars in the overall marketplace that it really won’t matter. There are enough worldwide buyers out there to buy the few hundred thousand Model 3’s they produce each year. Model Y will likely be more constrained, although if the Model Y backlog was overwhelming they might have already increased pricing on new orders. We’ll see in about six months when Model Y production is expected to begin its ramp up.

Yet I maintain that, in general, any Tesla is too expensive for most Americans to buy. The average family income is around $60K per year with no assets to speak of. People have high rent or overwhelming mortgages - and families to support. The cost of any Tesla is just not possible with these incomes and obligations. In fact it is becoming such that many new cars are pricing themselves out of the reach of the average person.

Whether people here can buy a Tesla because they rent and can get the credit or whether they buy the car from excess grocery money - we are the lucky ones. Most people do not have the options that we do. The auto industry is missing these things and leaving lots of people in the dust - Tesla included.

Yet I maintain that, in general, any Tesla is too expensive for most Americans to buy. The average family income is around $60K per year with no assets to speak of. People have high rent or overwhelming mortgages - and families to support. The cost of any Tesla is just not possible with these incomes and obligations. In fact it is becoming such that many new cars are pricing themselves out of the reach of the average person.

Whether people here can buy a Tesla because they rent and can get the credit or whether they buy the car from excess grocery money - we are the lucky ones. Most people do not have the options that we do. The auto industry is missing these things and leaving lots of people in the dust - Tesla included.
I think you're probably right. "Any Tesla is too expensive for most Americans to buy." Somehow though, Americans figure out ways to buy cars they cannot afford. I just did some googling. In the US, the light truck is by far the most popular choice of car buyers. In 2019, automakers are on track to sell 16.8 million units at an average of $48,369. With 327 million people in the US, that means 5.1% of the US population bought a new truck last year.

Tesla doesn't need to market to most Americans. Heck, they'd never be able to produce that many cars anyway. They can't even build them fast enough to make those on this forum happy. If they can take 5% of the truck market with the cybertruck, they will sell 800,000 units. If the average price of those units fit in with the national average of a new truck ($48,369). They would gross $38 billion on the truck alone. I don't know if they could build that many trucks in a year.

As a new car manufacturer, Tesla has problems to overcome. Buyers that are desperate for their product isn't one of their problems. As long as they continue to innovate and build incredible cars, they will see crazy success. They don't need to lower their prices, but I think they will as they begin to reap the benefits of mass production.

I found this quote from Elon: "Almost any new technology initially has high unit cost before it can be optimized and this is no less true for electric cars. The strategy of Tesla is to enter at the high end of the market, where customers are prepared to pay a premium, and then drive down market as fast as possible to higher unit volume and lower prices with each successive model."

I was shocked when I saw the cybertruck. Like many others, it has grown on me over the past few weeks. I was just as shocked at the entry price. $39k will attract a decent portion of that truck market. Probably more vehicles than Tesla can keep up with.

With 327 million people in the US, we are actually a small market in the world. There are over 1.4 billion people in China. It wasn't an accident that they built gigafactory #3 in Shanghai.

I believe Tesla's long term goal is to help create a more sustainable planet. Eventually, according to Elon's quote above, they will build a model that will be within reach for every American.

Nobody's saying the Y won't be popular, but not EVERYBODY is going to buy one.

Teslas are still up there in price TODAY, but over the next several years the upfront purchase price (and long-term cost of ownership) on all EVs will drop as the technology and economies of scale improve. We're still in the early adopter stage (which is fine, it's fun!)

There are not 16 million truck sales in the US. Probably right around 12 this year. A big number still but that number includes SUVs not just F-150s.

"Most Americans" can't afford a new car.
Most Americans who can afford a new car, can afford a Tesla.

The average selling price of a new vehicle in the US is about $30k (hard to find anything but median number). That car runs on gas so the incremental reduction in fuel cost makes it a wash.

If you believe that no one will want a used ICE, then resale should be better. If you look at the used market for BMW's - where resale prices have fallen significantly with the Model 3 - that is a good prediction.

If you are hopeful for meaningful climate legislation, the price of gasoline will go up more than electricity, further improving the TCO including resale.

The only monkey wrench would then be reinstatement of $7500 tax credit for the >200k manufacturers and Tesla ramping up production to a million per year, might actually hurt resale for a little while.

Last edited:
You guys can disagree with me all you want..maybe because you dont want your M3 to lose value. Also of note..i have a M3. Elon himself has said the Model Y will outsell all of the other Models combined.

He also said the Y won't hurt 3 sales.

So do you believe him or not?

Or only when he agrees with you?

Tesla sales are a TINY TINY TINY fraction of US car sales.

Demand for good EVs is MUCH higher than supply.

I have never understood the demand in the US for SUVs and crossovers. SUV's maybe if you have a pack of kids, but crossovers really don't do much more for you than a sedan. So when it comes to Model 3 vs Model Y, I think the Model 3 had a minimal advantage for people wanting a larger car and disadvantage with 40 miles less range, etc. Then again, I have not seen a Model Y up close.

My opinion on "why the US likes SUVs so much (in addition to the "I have a brood of kids and station wagons are not cool in the US" feelings most americans have).

1. On your point of "most Americans can not afford Tesla's, I agree, but that is because "most Americans can not afford new cars" as someone said. Most americans that can afford a popular new car like a camry or accord can afford a SR+
2. Americans that can afford new cars tend to be "more established" also known as older
3. Older Americans who can afford new cars are likely living pretty well, and many of them are larger, and/or less flexible (or both) as they get older.
4. Many Americans have a desire to "sit up high" so "they can see" while driving. they also dont have to "fall down into" or "climb up out of" a SUV or Crossover like they do a sedan.

The current crossover is simply a big, lifted sedan in many cases... so that a person can have a sedan but "sit up high" and "not fall down into the car, or climb up out of it".

On thread topic, when people are picking a crossover vs a sedan, most times they are not paying attention to the fact that the crossover costs more to drive than the sedan... but they WILL pay attention to the range difference in a Tesla. If there is one thing I have learned here over the year I have been a member of TMC, its that people will freak the $%@%@ out over 4-9 miles of range like I would have never believed before.

The crossover is the "new suv" for the family, and most people in an SUV (even with kids) really should be in an station wagon, but Americans have this picture of station wagons that includes fake wood paneling, "woodys" and grandma's car. They should either have station wagons, or mini vans, but mini vans also have a stigma now, but are really the perfect car for someone with a few kids. Most people who can afford a new car and have 2 or more kids should likely have a mini van / station wagon, not SUV / Crossover, but americans have somehow decided that SUVs dont look like you have a brood of kids, while mini vans look like you should be wearing a fanny pack and have a diaper bag slung over your back at all times.

On thread topic, since tesla just raised pricing in the last quarter, and people seem to have forgotten about it already, they can "lower pricing" to simply put it back where it was before the 4th quarter. Someone else mentioned this in this thread I believe. My personal belief is that we will see a 1k price drop, near the end of January, beginning of February. When this happens, I want everyone to remember that this is actually not a price cut, its just putting pricing back closer to pre quarter 4 pricing.

Regarding price cuts, I think once Gigafactory 3 is supplying cars to China and Gigafactory 4 is supplying cars to Europe, the cost of cars coming out of Fremont can go down considerably because the distribution costs will be way, way down. That along with improved battery technology has the potential to make huge impacts in Tesla's operating costs. I can only imagine that delivery times will be much better at that point as well.

That savings goes to the coffers and share holders. The Model 3 is still competitively priced with little to no competition.

My opinion on "why the US likes SUVs so much (in addition to the "I have a brood of kids and station wagons are not cool in the US" feelings most americans have).

1. On your point of "most Americans can not afford Tesla's, I agree, but that is because "most Americans can not afford new cars" as someone said. Most americans that can afford a popular new car like a camry or accord can afford a SR+
2. Americans that can afford new cars tend to be "more established" also known as older
3. Older Americans who can afford new cars are likely living pretty well, and many of them are larger, and/or less flexible (or both) as they get older.
4. Many Americans have a desire to "sit up high" so "they can see" while driving. they also dont have to "fall down into" or "climb up out of" a SUV or Crossover like they do a sedan.

The current crossover is simply a big, lifted sedan in many cases... so that a person can have a sedan but "sit up high" and "not fall down into the car, or climb up out of it".

On thread topic, when people are picking a crossover vs a sedan, most times they are not paying attention to the fact that the crossover costs more to drive than the sedan... but they WILL pay attention to the range difference in a Tesla. If there is one thing I have learned here over the year I have been a member of TMC, its that people will freak the $%@%@ out over 4-9 miles of range like I would have never believed before.

The crossover is the "new suv" for the family, and most people in an SUV (even with kids) really should be in an station wagon, but Americans have this picture of station wagons that includes fake wood paneling, "woodys" and grandma's car. They should either have station wagons, or mini vans, but mini vans also have a stigma now, but are really the perfect car for someone with a few kids. Most people who can afford a new car and have 2 or more kids should likely have a mini van / station wagon, not SUV / Crossover, but americans have somehow decided that SUVs dont look like you have a brood of kids, while mini vans look like you should be wearing a fanny pack and have a diaper bag slung over your back at all times.

On thread topic, since tesla just raised pricing in the last quarter, and people seem to have forgotten about it already, they can "lower pricing" to simply put it back where it was before the 4th quarter. Someone else mentioned this in this thread I believe. My personal belief is that we will see a 1k price drop, near the end of January, beginning of February. When this happens, I want everyone to remember that this is actually not a price cut, its just putting pricing back closer to pre quarter 4 pricing.

I agree, but tend to disagree with the purchasing ability of most people in this country. Most people live from paycheck to paycheck. The rising costs of new cars in recent years has just put more people in more debt. I think I have heard the statistic that 10% of all auto loans are 90 days or more in arrears. We basically have easy credit that most people can’t or won’t pay when they realize they are way over their heads.

A Honda accord starts at about $25K - far from the SR+ at $39K. I think a Camry is more than an Accord. This poses a problem to Tesla and (soon to be) Ford - where their “consumer priced” electric cars still lock out all but the above -average moneyed consumer.

Americans that can afford new cars are:
- younger, who have no other major obligations (mortgages, etc) - and specifically want a new car.
- 30’s-40’s who have a reasonable family income, can swing a car payment, or just want a new car.
- 30’s to 60’s who have a decent income and can afford a car (cash) and have less overall expenses.

- most people I know over 60 are looking to future retirement costs and only the wealthier among them can think of owning a new car.
- very few people ever gets “established” - as high incomes are fleeting. As people get older, they most often become less valuable in the job market.
- I suspect that Californians are different than most - as this state is very car (and mobile) oriented. It would, in part, explain why Tesla does so well here.

The point I am making here is that to own an (front line) EV In 2020 requires the means and desire to purchase one. Teslas and it’s soon to arrive competition are discretionary purchases and people buy them if they have an excess of personal cash flow - or they are willing to modify their lifestyle to own one.

This will pose a problem for any carmaker in the future. We are already headed that way with excessively priced new cars. Cheap credit will not be around forever, and take a major bite out of the auto industry. Home ownership is down and if pitted against the more expensive car segment - the car segment will lose. Automakers will need to make a seriously affordable EV to capture the less affluent. Tesla is no exception. People are not going to get in debt over their heads to “save the environment.” Sad - but it is reality.

It really is the scenario of “haves” and “have nots.” No simple social change will fix that. This is why the incentives provided by the US government have been so shortsighted. They need to be tied to income, increased and not turned into a game. If not, widespread EV adoption will take a lot longer than expected.

Model Y’s will sell well in the US - and in most countries. But after sales of a few million, the market will be saturated - in most countries. Cost will be the cause for saturation, not the desire to own one. It’s unfortunate.

A Honda accord starts at about $25K - far from the SR+ at $39K. I think a Camry is more than an Accord. This poses a problem to Tesla and (soon to be) Ford - where their “consumer priced” electric cars still lock out all but the above -average moneyed consumer.

The average new car in the US is several thousand bucks more than an SR Model 3.

That doesn't mean there aren't both cheaper than average and more expensive than average cars in the world- (otherwise average would be pretty useless data)- but it does mean Tesla sells a car cheaper than average among new cars.

So the idea it's only for "rich" new car buyer just isn't so.

(and course you can get other EVs even cheaper than a Model 3... but many fewer people choose to compared to the model 3)

The point I am making here is that to own an (front line) EV In 2020 requires the means and desire to purchase one.

I mean. Replace EV with any type of new car and that's true. There's nothing magic about EVs in that regard.

Automakers will need to make a seriously affordable EV to capture the less affluent.

Several companies do so.

Hardly anyone buys them compared to Tesla sales.

Tesla is no exception.

Quite obviously they are.

They literally can not build cars fast enough to meet 100% of demand for them even at current prices.

People are not going to get in debt over their heads to “save the environment.” Sad - but it is reality.

My model 3 purchase had 0 to do with the environment.

It was flat out the best car in its class of any kind.

(another way that's obvious is it's outselling everything else in its class by a decent margin- regardless of EV vs ICE)

widespread EV adoption will take a lot longer than expected.

EV production is, severely, battery limited.

That's not changing quickly regardless of sales incentives.

Model Y’s will sell well in the US - and in most countries. But after sales of a few million, the market will be saturated - in most countries. Cost will be the cause for saturation, not the desire to own one. It’s unfortunate.

This is nonsensical.

Tens of millions of new vehicles sell every year that cost more than the Model Y does, including in the same vehicle class.

People aren't magically gonna stop buying cars... and EV makers can't produce enough cars to replace even a double-digit fraction of new car sales anyway... so nothing is likely to be 'saturated' anytime soon.

I hope they'd reduce the FSD cost for those of us who bought vehicles in 2018 ... at that time, FSD was $5k before delivery and 6k after, but now it's $10k (3k + 7k) ... since they are giving basic autopilot for free with the newer models and still charge much less than what we paid in 2018, hope they'd at least take off that $3k.

I hope they'd reduce the FSD cost for those of us who bought vehicles in 2018 ... at that time, FSD was $5k before delivery and 6k after

No, it wasn't.

It was $5000 for EAP. And $3000 for FSD on top of that. $8000 pre-delivery.

$1000 more, each, after delivery. $10,000 total post-delivery.

I
, but now it's $10k (3k + 7k)

So...exactly the same.