Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Q4 'M' delivery club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collecting on Wednesday and just had a phone call from Tesla saying that the left repeater camera isn't working and if I still wanted to collect or push the delivery back :( Still going to collect and book a mobile service appointment. Looks like Tesla are checking the camera issues before collection.

Interesting, I had the same call! On mine it is the reverse repeater that is faulty. New 2021 stock of that part is coming in next week she assured me so will need to get it fixed then. Perhaps this is a common issue but normally the service centres have the parts to resolve before delivery dates...

Feel like a proper owner now, needing a service appointment before even taking delivery!

• Funny
Reactions: OttoR and browellm
Oh the topic of mobile service appointments. I don't see any available? I have a few minor issues with my car coming to light after a few days, but reporting through the app it says I have to wait and bring the car to Bristol in late December. Have I been looking in the wrong place?
it depends if they think a mobile ranger can solve the problem, my initial issue was a TPMS fault, and i could book a mobile ranger, as soon as i added the Camera issue it changed to a service Center appointment

Reactions: Chrisgillett
Interesting, I had the same call! On mine it is the reverse repeater that is faulty. New 2021 stock of that part is coming in next week she assured me so will need to get it fixed then. Perhaps this is a common issue but normally the service centres have the parts to resolve before delivery dates...

Feel like a proper owner now, needing a service appointment before even taking delivery!

they must have had a few reports of early pickups with this issue, and are now routeinly checking all new cars?? Glad me reporting my issue may have helped Tesla up their quality of the PDI checks :)

Picked mine up (Blue LR, black interior, aero wheels) from Thorpe Park this morning. Was supposed to pick up at 4pm but got a call saying I could pick up anytime I wanted! They didn't even look at my old car (Kodiaq) just took the keys. I signed the forms and got given the keycards.

Really pleased, only things of note are the tape must have left a mark from the console covering, the wheels were all a little low and needed pumping up. The cameras calibrated in about 15 miles and I was well away on the M25.

Super impressed with the car, blue with black trim looks super neat!

they must have had a few reports of early pickups with this issue, and are now routeinly checking all new cars?? Glad me reporting my issue may have helped Tesla up their quality of the PDI checks :)

:D just out of interest, did AutoPilot calibrate / work with the repeater camera not working? It's one of the features I was really looking forward to testing and I suspect Il be waiting a few more weeks now :(

This is all very interesting, but there is a positive.

Seems they are doing a PDI and even proactively notifying customers, that is good customer service.

I wonder if the growing competition is driving this.

By the sounds of things they're not doing a full PDI, but checking some things that seem to have been faulty in a lot of deliveries this month.

I kind of reminds me of a story I heard many, many years ago:

When Scott McNealy took over Sun Microsystems they had a problem with the 22" (CRT) monitors they were delivering with the Sparc Workstations; about 40% of them were DOA. What he did was instruct the supply chain to ship a monitor to the local repair depot for every one they delivered, so when the customer called up to say they had a DOA monitor an engineer could bring a replacement within a couple of hours.

Result? The narrative changed from customers complaining about poor hardware into customers telling everyone how brilliant Sun's customer service was.

Looks to me like Tesla are trying to pull the same trick, these faults should not have passed a one minute QA on vehicles leaving the factory, in fact I don't know how they could have driven them into the parking lot without noticing that the cameras were not working. Good customer service needs to run all the way through the supply chain and someone at the factory is not doing their bit.

Reactions: browellm
Car is back from the service center..

1 out of 3 problems fixed.

They replaced the drivers rear light, fog and reflector with new due to the scratches. Everything looks perfect now!

the other 2 issues, fault on TPMS sensor and Faulty passenger side camera couldnt be sorted at the moment.

2 things we now know.. there isnt any stock of replacement cameras for the 2021 models yet, so anyone with a faulty one is going to have to wait. (but they can be replaced on a mobile appointment)

2nd thing is it looks like there maybe an update to the hardware on the 2021 model 3 or at least different TPMS sensors as the service center couldnt diagnose the fault due to not having the correct tools yet.. If the tpms or the hardware on the refresh were the same as previous model years then surely they would already have the correct diagnostic tool.??

So now waiting for these to become available and should receive a mobile visit when they are ready.

• Informative
Reactions: Chrisgillett
Car is back from the service center..

1 out of 3 problems fixed.

They replaced the drivers rear light, fog and reflector with new due to the scratches. Everything looks perfect now!

the other 2 issues, fault on TPMS sensor and Faulty passenger side camera couldnt be sorted at the moment.

2 things we now know.. there isnt any stock of replacement cameras for the 2021 models yet, so anyone with a faulty one is going to have to wait. (but they can be replaced on a mobile appointment)

2nd thing is it looks like there maybe an update to the hardware on the 2021 model 3 or at least different TPMS sensors as the service center couldnt diagnose the fault due to not having the correct tools yet.. If the tpms or the hardware on the refresh were the same as previous model years then surely they would already have the correct diagnostic tool.??

So now waiting for these to become available and should receive a mobile visit when they are ready.

There was a thread on the general Model 3 forum where it was confirmed the TPMS sensors are different, I don’t fully understand it all but I believe the new sensors use Bluetooth low energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Wuddie
2nd thing is it looks like there maybe an update to the hardware on the 2021 model 3 or at least different TPMS sensors as the service center couldnt diagnose the fault due to not having the correct tools yet.

The 2021 models use Bluetooth LE sensors which were not available during the last weeks. This week some new sensors became available in service centers in Germany.

So just an update, had a call from Tesla, not only is my camera not working, Chelmsford are no longer accepting any new cars onsite so the car is being rerouted to Dartford, not a great first impression! All delivery from Chelmsford are being cancelled.

EDIT: They said its something to do with new superchargers going in so they can't get the transporters in.