Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe car carriers can carry around 5000 cars. Would these all be Tesla’s or would that be a mix? (I guess import of other US cars into Europe is quite low). How many of these cars per ship would ended up in the UK? 200? 1000?

I am trying to figure out how many trucks they would need. I think a normal car trailer can pack 8 (?) cars. For 200 cars we would need 25 trucks, for 1000 it would be 125 trucks. That works be quite an operation.

My car was unloaded today but I will only be able to pick it up from Thorpe Park on the 22nd. I wonder what they do with it the whole time. Does it really take so long to distribute them here in UK?
They don't carry more than 3,500-4,000 Tesla cars. That's an average calculated from # of ships and Tesla registrations made in Europe over the last two years.

I believe car carriers can carry around 5000 cars. Would these all be Tesla’s or would that be a mix? (I guess import of other US cars into Europe is quite low). How many of these cars per ship would ended up in the UK? 200? 1000?

I am trying to figure out how many trucks they would need. I think a normal car trailer can pack 8 (?) cars. For 200 cars we would need 25 trucks, for 1000 it would be 125 trucks. That works be quite an operation.

My car was unloaded today but I will only be able to pick it up from Thorpe Park on the 22nd. I wonder what they do with it the whole time. Does it really take so long to distribute them here in UK?
These ships are chartered by Tesla and so are moving only Teslas. The UK number varies between 800 -1500 cars usually.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
GLOVIS SUN
Suddenly, without warning, nothing happened. She is still there.
ELEGANT ACE is there too about 30nm away, also doing the same thing, nothing.

Meanwhile 1,770nm away to the north east, RCC AMSTERDAM is setting herself up for several days of ....err... nothing, off Southampton.
There is an awful lot of nothing going on at the moment.
I have nothing further to add.

GLOVIS SUN
Suddenly, without warning, nothing happened. She is still there.
ELEGANT ACE is there too about 30nm away, also doing the same thing, nothing.

Meanwhile 1,770nm away to the north east, RCC AMSTERDAM is setting herself up for several days of ....err... nothing, off Southampton.
There is an awful lot of nothing going on at the moment.
I have nothing further to add.

Time for another monument?
“On This Site in 1897 Nothing Happened”: Another Monument to Nothing! – no1984

GLOVIS CRYSTAL should have departed Southampton already but she hasn’t. Her departure has now been rescheduled to 12:30 today.

RCC AMSTERDAM is loitering off the Isle of Wight and will continue to do so until the early hours of Tuesday morning. This may move right if GLOVIS CRYSTAL continues to be a spanner in the works.

LYDDEN is a shining light of normality in the throes of a global pandemic of tardiness from the remainder of the current Tesla fleet.
She is continuing her fast transit. She is about 480nm SW of Lands End and continuing to maintain 19kts.
She has done really well in avoiding the Atlantic weather so far but tomorrow she will see a deterioration in the weather - she will still remain ahead of the worst of it but she may find it increasingly difficult to maintain her current high speeds.
Her AIS is showing that she aims to arrive in Amsterdam at 0900 on 14 Dec - a very ambitious ETA, although the Port of Amsterdam has her arriving at 1345 on 14 Dec. Surprisingly, at the moment she remains on track to achieve the former but she must now maintain 19kts all the way to achieve that - a tall order looking at the weather forecast.

Lydden Atlantic.png

GLOVIS SUN remains stationary 400nm SW of the Azores and I do not know why.
Originally she was due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Dec but we are now looking at 17 Dec at the earliest.
The curious mating ritual with the other car carrier ELEGANT ACE that was doing the same just over the horizon has now entered a new phase, with ELEGANT ACE now steaming off at 14kts to the south (she is meant to be heading to Antwerp).
The saga continues….

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Dec 20.png

Who knew that the logistics behind the delivery of your new Tesla could be such an epic nailbiting story?

Is the new ETA of Sun, Dec 18th, based on reports of the ship or is this just some calculation based on the remaining path?
I was just working on it - I believe that 1300 18 Dec is GLOVIS SUN's new ETA for Zeebrugge - it's achievable.
She has appeared on the Zeebrugge port schedule with an arrival of 1800 on 18 Dec.
So I expect she should start moving again shortly.

UPDATE Actually looking at the timings, she may want to sit where she is for another 12 hrs or so.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: OttoR and ABCTG
I was just working on it - I believe that 1300 18 Dec is GLOVIS SUN's new ETA for Zeebrugge - it's achievable.
She has appeared on the Zeebrugge port schedule with an arrival of 1800 on 18 Dec.
So I expect she should start moving again shortly.

UPDATE Actually looking at the timings, she may want to sit where she is for another 12 hrs or so.
You are damn good!
She's moving now, at just about the time you estimated this morning.
Update: back to 0.1 knots

A little early again today…

LYDDEN is now in the approaches to the English Channel about halfway between Land’s End and the Brest peninsula and is visible again to land based AIS receivers
The surprise news from her is that she has changed destination again - she is once again heading for Zeebrugge!
Her estimate is 2000 tomorrow night and is in agreement with the Zeebrugge port schedule.

Lydden Atlantic.png

RCC AMSTERDAM continues to loiter around a position 13nm south of Selsey Bill and will continue to do so until the early hours of Tuesday morning.

GLOVIS SUN remains stationary 400nm SW of the Azores.
Originally she was due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Dec but arrival has now been rescheduled to Friday 18 Dec
On that basis I expect her to resume her voyage imminently
The curious mating ritual with the other car carrier ELEGANT ACE continues. She is sulking 80nm to the SW. She is not carrying Teslas. I wonder which one will move first. Who is stalking who?

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Dec 20.png

LYDDEN is now in the approaches to the English Channel about halfway between Land’s End and the Brest peninsula and is visible again to land based AIS receivers
The surprise news from her is that she has changed destination again - she is once again heading for Zeebrugge!
Her estimate is 2000 tomorrow night and is in agreement with the Zeebrugge port schedule.

Lydden also still visible for Koopman Terminal a few days later:

E049122F-B7F7-40BD-9851-DDEDFB014081.jpeg

Silly question what's happens when the ship gets to zebrugge off load some cars then on to Southampton??
For the GLOVIS SUN she heads off to the Middle East with all sorts of European cars, vans, tractors, cranes and earth movers which she will pick up from Bremerhaven, Hamburg, Antwerp and Southampton. They are kept very busy.

Wondering if ELEGANT ACE also resumed her journey ... out of curiosity mostly. It is a quite weird that exactly 2 car carriers bound for the same port stopped at the same place. I would then assume that they would also start again at the same time?