Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021🦄 vs 2022 SR+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think found on all older model 3 models rear motor including SR, SR+, LR also - until some time in 2020 (fremont builds) then 3D1 showed up again on Shanghai builds (before 3D6 started being used as the replacement)
Motorcodes are changed:
Performance Motor was 3D1 and is now 3D6.
Base Motor was 3D5 and is now 3D7.

New engines are Hairpin Design , introduced in china built cars first and eventually be on US cars.

So all 2022 RWD will get the 3D7 motor

3D6 is just the "Hair pin" winding thingy which is "better"
Today a bit better 235kw.... 465nm..... Can't complain ☺️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211_183516_com.emon.canbus.tesla-5.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211_183516_com.emon.canbus.tesla-5.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 381
465nm on tap, always.

It's addictive.
School run usually takes 30~32mins in a KIA Diesel MINI Bus(Can't believe I Drove that for 6 years)... now I can make it in 22mins... Just by Flooring it, and putting it on 5% over speed limit cruise control autopilot .. car is under-report by 2~2.5% at GPS level so it's 2.5% over limit.. perfectly legal... 8 mins*4 each day........ BMW x3 30d.... School run 26mins.... roughly same 0-100km speed.....

ICE cars is hard to hold on to the limit
From Jan to now... I saved 20hours of my life.... :D In 1 Year I saved 8.1 days of life on road... at the very least... not to mention gas station trips... and each fill up cost $120+ nowadays..

Whoever is not buying Tesla as their new car has got oil in their head....

Need a long trip with the Scanmytesla to extensively test out.... because it shows max output 250kw+++

Reactions: Culfy and Trello
Muahahahaha Finally more extensive testing of my Unicorn, day 5 of scanmytesla........ 5.43sec 0-100km a little better than the Specs 5.6sec Because haven't gone to the countryside for a nice straight no man road..... I can only use 0-60 time + 60-100km time from scanmytesla = 2.91+2.52 = 5.43 secs for my best timing...

Screenshot_20220213_192219_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

Motor after further testing kw for the new 3D6 Rear Motor capped max out @ 257kw..... Mostly Hover on 235+kw very hard to get to 257kw unless it's HOT day.... Battery needs roughly 38~40 degrees for best performance

Torque max out @ 465.25nm...... Mostly Hover around 430~450nm... I think 465.25nm is the true cap.... can't get any higher....
Screenshot_20220213_202259_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

This is just a normal daily school run Rear 3D6 Motor seems always stuck at 235.5kw and today surprisingly, torque last time seems capped at 465.25nm... today went up to 465.75nm.... not a material significance but still a number. I think this concludes the 3D6 Motor power output and the 0-100km timing

Unless there is significant up in torque or motor power.. or record breaking 0-100km timing..

Screenshot_20220215_093136_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

Talk to Trevor Milton. He could find you a good test track.
Don't think I can do better than 5.43 secs... the Motor itself is limited.... plus these figures are direct from the ODBlink Mx+ I am happy with the result.. at least better than specs....

see if there is any aftermarket hack for the new Chinese made hairpin winding motor.

344 BHP and 465nm are insane street racing car numbers more like a Stage 3 Mod of Subaru WRX STI... https://www.tokyomotorsports.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/STI-Stage-3-1-1024x724.jpg

Reactions: Maximillan
So I drove the 2022 MD3 RWD today, brand spanking new one. I have been a little undecided whether to 'upgrade' to the LR for the AWD and better performance but the price difference between the two variants in NSW is significant (after rebates etc) and I don't really need long range.
I have previously driven the 2021 SR+ and 2021 LR. The new 2022 RWD from a standstill is still very quick. I really couldn't feel any difference between the old SR+ and the new RWD but if I was to nitpick I could feel that it is perhaps software limited in its power delivery even moreso than I remember from previous version. Also went down the M4 and did some rolling acceleration tests and the pickup is still very much there (again seat of the pants meter). It is more than adequate for any passing maneuver necessary. So I understand that we are all different and different strokes for different folks but for me the 2022 RWD is plenty enough (I am not a boy racer (anymore) too old for that now and I value my licence too much).
The biggest difference I noticed was in the fit and finish and the paintwork, both very much improved. Also the ride seemed to be more compliant and less crashy to what I could remember. It was genuinely a nice place to be in and was a lot quieter than what I can remember. Still had road noise and probably more than it should for a $65k vehicle but somehow it seemed wind noise and other intrusions were better muted than what I recalled.
What also surprised me was the low consumption. Nice 27 degrees in Sydney today dry with very light breeze which also helped. The energy meter was reading some very low usage even though I was giving it some for a lot of the test drive. Tesla really do have a very large advantage with the efficiency of these cars.

So I drove the 2022 MD3 RWD today, brand spanking new one. I have been a little undecided whether to 'upgrade' to the LR for the AWD and better performance but the price difference between the two variants in NSW is significant (after rebates etc) and I don't really need long range.
I have previously driven the 2021 SR+ and 2021 LR. The new 2022 RWD from a standstill is still very quick. I really couldn't feel any difference between the old SR+ and the new RWD but if I was to nitpick I could feel that it is perhaps software limited in its power delivery even moreso than I remember from previous version. Also went down the M4 and did some rolling acceleration tests and the pickup is still very much there (again seat of the pants meter). It is more than adequate for any passing maneuver necessary. So I understand that we are all different and different strokes for different folks but for me the 2022 RWD is plenty enough (I am not a boy racer (anymore) too old for that now and I value my licence too much).
The biggest difference I noticed was in the fit and finish and the paintwork, both very much improved. Also the ride seemed to be more compliant and less crashy to what I could remember. It was genuinely a nice place to be in and was a lot quieter than what I can remember. Still had road noise and probably more than it should for a $65k vehicle but somehow it seemed wind noise and other intrusions were better muted than what I recalled.
What also surprised me was the low consumption. Nice 27 degrees in Sydney today dry with very light breeze which also helped. The energy meter was reading some very low usage even though I was giving it some for a lot of the test drive. Tesla really do have a very large advantage with the efficiency of these cars.
Yeah seems software limited at low speed seems to be the key difference.

I'm surprised you managed to get hold of a new 2022 RWD for a test drive - I don't know of anyone else on the forums (or UK or NZ for that matter) that have managed to get their new 2022 RWD yet and report back! Did you check it had the Ryzen powered infotainment system :)

I think there is certainly a software limit..... hardware constraints could be too expensive to manufacture. From Tesla cost saving type, anything can be remedied with software.....

However, I don't know if it's just me... imo... if you abuse the car previously ... like extreme hard acceleration.... once the motor is "broken in"...... the numbers are very easily maxed out... without a sweat......

This is today's number, normal weather.. just flooring at red lights and running to the highway to 100km... and the figures are maxed...... the max numbers appear within first 20 mins of driving..... with car preconditioning. .. 256kw .... and 465.75nm torque

Maybe the car software will change your driver profile to "lead" foot mode.. and give you max numbers instantly...

Screenshot_20220216_100039_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

Is there evidence of a software limit or is it just somebody's hunch?
I much suspect just a hunch, I think 3D7 is a lower cost motor using less precious materials during supply strain to meet production volume. In the case of LR acceleration boost, I read somewhere (can't remember where), that the boost mostly came out of the front induction motor.

Personally, I doubt it would make much real-life difference. If 0.5 second matters at the traffic light, I am probably picking the wrong fight. Traffic light Grand Prix potentially aggravates ICE drivers who would just break the legal speed limits, catch up with you and do some very silly things, like those on Youtube Teslacam. I am actually more interested in how efficient this new hairpin motor is in real use; the benefit of picking RWD is being frugal.

There is fast, and there is always faster, my thoughts after watching a video; model S Plaid bashed by a twin turbo V10 R8 (modified, of course).

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the weather turning cold or after installing the obdlink scanmytesla started to push the car to limit..... within 1 week..... my max range dropped 2km........ to 436.13..... not good at all...... Will stop pushing the car to the limit... enough of testing..... and start babying the throttle.