Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Factory tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my 2021 Model Y yesterday and I only realized today that the rear Windows seem to come pre-tinted from the factory.
Does anyone know the technical specs on this tint? What is the VLT, how much IR and UV does it block?
I plan to tint my front windows as well and I’d like it to match.

I would like to know this too.

From what I'm (uneducatedly) guessing, the front windshield has just plain glass, the driver's and passenger's side windows have 90, and the second row passenger glass, rear three quarter window, and rear all look to be around 40. The roof glass is super dark, probably a 5. How I guess the drivers/passengers side to be 90 is by watching cars pass me, looking if they change a slight shade lighter, and they do, just a tiny bit.

For IR and UV, especially on the driver's passenger's windows with 90 tint, they don't seem to block anything. Arm gets hot fast when sun is hitting.

The windows are not tinted from the factory. It is simply colored glass that offers little to no UV protection/heat blocking.
This is what my reputable tint shop told me as well. It's just privacy glass. No UV protection or heat blocking.

So...I had them put clear UV film on the rear windows because I didn't want it any darker, but wanted the protection.

35 Front 50% Rear. Xpel Ceramic.

50% on the rears with the stock tint makes it difficult to see in.

35% on the front Does not match the rear but is dark enough to provide some privacy and easy night clarity.

We did not tint the top or the rear window..

From what I have read throughout my research for getting tint added:

- Windshield and Front Side Windows are not tinted
- Roof is 5% VLT with UV/IR protection
- Rear Side Windows and Rear Hatch are 25% VLT but no UV/IR protection

What I did was:
- 35% Xpel Ceramic on the Front Side Windows
- 70% Xpel Ceramic on everything else
Where did you get the value for the roof? I’ve seen pictures posted showing 24% on two different VLT meters for the rears, but haven’t seen one showing the roof.

I’m thinking of using Xpel XR Plus all around with the following values..
Windshield: 45
Front: 5
Rears: 20
Roof: 70

Hoping my result is a completely matched front/rear of around 5 (rear might be closer to 4, but ya), nicely darken windshield that’s still plenty visible at night and a roof that is basically same as stock, but rejecting the most heat. I really want the roof to be the lightest as possible so passengers and myself can enjoy the large window/view, but still reject all that damn heat.

Anyone have any advice? Not looking for opinions on how 5% is too dark, illegal, how pedestrians won’t be able to see in (that’s my point), etc.

I’m going to agree with the above and show you that yes, the roof glass heavily protected, as shown in the pic below, taken from the top of the car where the roof glass meets the hatchback glass:

there are three layers total, a top glass, a middle plastic laminate and a bottom layer of glass. All three are illustrated by the red lines. You can compare that with the rear glass right behind and see that is much thinner. Any additional tint on top (or under) these three is overkill and useless.
BCE385EF-F8F7-460E-9C68-DF8314806857.jpeg

So can I just do 25% on the front windows to match factory?

If you just want to match the rear factory colored glass then yes, that's all you need to do.

The problem is that the rear colored glass has no Heat/UV blocking so most of us added additional lighter tint to compensate and in this case you would need to go 5-15% in the front to match.

If you just want to match the rear factory colored glass then yes, that's all you need to do.

The problem is that the rear colored glass has no Heat/UV blocking so most of us added additional lighter tint to compensate and in this case you would need to go 5-15% in the front to match.
Yeah my kids are young their skin will heal lol

From what I have read throughout my research for getting tint added:

- Windshield and Front Side Windows are not tinted
- Roof is 5% VLT with UV/IR protection
- Rear Side Windows and Rear Hatch are 25% VLT but no UV/IR protection

What I did was:
- 35% Xpel Ceramic on the Front Side Windows
- 70% Xpel Ceramic on everything else
How do the front sides with 35% compare to the factory 25% VLT?