Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if I missed this somewhere else in the thread, but I can confirm that a June 2020 Model 3 LR did not get a range bump with 2020.40.8. it appears that range increases were limited to vehicles with the heat pump that still had some efficiency to wring out of them.

I'm not disappointed at all, since any range increase would have been at best situation or ephemeral, and at worst would have simply involved a tweak of constants with no change in real world range.

I'm really curious to see if the 2021 LRs really have increased battery energy density, and if that translates to more capacity, greater buffers, reduced cell count, or some combination of the above! Perhaps @GigaGrunt could share some insight ;)

I contacted my sales rep guy who made some change to my account that showed an 'edit design' button. He instructed me to just re-save my config and then account updated with 2021 version. Only took a minute. I have no idea what effect this has on delivery timeline as I was waiting until December anyway.
I'm in the Los Angeles area and placed my order on September 25th but as per the recommendation of my sales advisor (Josh at The Americana in Glendale) my order is marked as for "December Delivery" and classified as "ineligible" so as to be assured the 2021 Model 3 refresh. When I log into me Tesla account it still shows the non refreshed Model 3 and Model #. I texted my sales advisor about "re-saving" my config to the refreshed M3 and he said:

"If the vehicle is delivered in December it will automatically be that model.
I thought of doing the same thing but it’s a waste of time for the person processing the cases".

He then went on to say :
"We were notified today that 75% of the deliveries will be taking place in December"

Based on this, I'm assuming there is a possibility 25% of refreshed Model 3's will be delivered prior to December (assuming West Coast which is a big "if") which is why it would seem to make sense to update my configuration as there is at least a chance I may get the car earlier. Went back and forth with him over this but for some reason he is reluctant to do it and says it will "make no difference" and further stated "There is nothing normal with the process. There are many factors that go into the vin matching process". Can't help think he has another incentive not to update the original config of my order?

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1319363500695785473?s=20

Green with some info from the software.
  • Top console that nobody noted?
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Efficiency package, probably the heat pump
  • Heated radar
  • USB-C in glove box
  • Liftgate
  • New wheels added
  • MY with 3rd row flat fold, and HEPA filter.
  • ADAPTIVE SUSPESION, in the works for 3/Y :eek:
  • And talks about sourcing new radar with higher res and longer range

I'm in the Los Angeles area and placed my order on September 25th but as per the recommendation of my sales advisor (Josh at The Americana in Glendale) my order is marked as for "December Delivery" and classified as "ineligible" so as to be assured the 2021 Model 3 refresh. When I log into me Tesla account it still shows the non refreshed Model 3 and Model #. I texted my sales advisor about "re-saving" my config to the refreshed M3 and he said:

"If the vehicle is delivered in December it will automatically be that model.
I thought of doing the same thing but it’s a waste of time for the person processing the cases".

He then went on to say :
"We were notified today that 75% of the deliveries will be taking place in December"

Based on this, I'm assuming there is a possibility 25% of refreshed Model 3's will be delivered prior to December (assuming West Coast which is a big "if") which is why it would seem to make sense to update my configuration as there is at least a chance I may get the car earlier. Went back and forth with him over this but for some reason he is reluctant to do it and says it will "make no difference" and further stated "There is nothing normal with the process. There are many factors that go into the vin matching process". Can't help think he has another incentive not to update the original config of my order?
When you take delivery of your car and found out that it is not the 2021 model like your sales advisor stated, I guess worst case is that you reject the delivery and show the sales advisor email which states the 2021 model?

He means where the rear view mirror is. Looks like a subtle change there.
He said top console changed from valeo to bitron. Just a wild guess is that top console, means the top of the center console aka the lid.
On the current Model 3 the console lid contains a sensor that gives the "close lid gently" notification if you slam it. And when they switched to the new centre console which could be supplied by Bitron it doesn't have a sensor, so the car needs an identifier to which console exist so the software works like it should.

Or top console is the rear view mirror housing and Tesla just changed supplier for their triple camera setup. Who knows.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1319363500695785473?s=20

Green with some info from the software.
  • Top console that nobody noted?
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Efficiency package, probably the heat pump
  • Heated radar
  • USB-C in glove box
  • Liftgate
  • New wheels added
  • MY with 3rd row flat fold, and HEPA filter.
  • ADAPTIVE SUSPESION, in the works for 3/Y :eek:
So IS the steering wheel heated or not? I feel like this keeps going back and forth. I guess we'll just have to find out when someone takes delivery.

Not for the time being, the ARBE 4D Imaging Radar, is not even in production, wait for 2023:

Already, three automotive OEMs have found Arbe’s solution sufficiently attractive to slate it for their production vehicles in model year 2023. Arbe aims to have its chips in production by contract chip fabs by the end of 2022, he said.

Breakthrough Automotive Imaging Radar Chip Tracks Hundreds of Objects

but looks really great:

Phoenix Imaging Radar - Arbe

Not for the time being, the ARBE 4D Imaging Radar, is not even in production, wait for 2023:

Breakthrough Automotive Imaging Radar Chip Tracks Hundreds of Objects

but looks really great:

Phoenix Imaging Radar - Arbe

Yeah, looks awesome, for sure not on these coming Model 3’s. But can’t be too far or else they wouldn’t add the identifiers in the public software?

It's funny to me he said "that nobody noted" but no one can even see the difference now that he's pointed it out. Gotta love how they'll always keep us guessing.

Probably nothing big and under the hood, or else I think we’d seen something by now.

Reactions: zerb012345
When you take delivery of your car and found out that it is not the 2021 model like your sales advisor stated, I guess worst case is that you reject the delivery and show the sales advisor email which states the 2021 model?
Right after my post my sales advisor informed me via text that he has changed my order and marked it for "immediate delivery". After logging back into my account, it now shows the picture of the refreshed M3. He also asked me to provide the referal code again which leads me to believe that when making a change on an order that is currently "ineligible" (as apparently mine was because it was marked for "December Delivery"), they more or less have to re-do the order order to change this to "Immediate Delivery". This may explain why he was reluctant to do it given that deliveries won't happen until December anyway. At this stage in the game I think there is very little chance of being assigned a VIN for the unrefreshed M3. Doubtful anyone (especially West Coast who are the last to receive inventory at the end of the quarter) will see a VIN / Delivery for the refreshed version before December, but at least now there is a chance I might and my order is in now and in the queue (although how and when VIN's are assigned is a mystery).

Right after my post my sales advisor informed me via text that he has changed my order and marked it for "immediate delivery". After logging back into my account, it now shows the picture of the refreshed M3. He also asked me to provide the referal code again which leads me to believe that when making a change on an order that is currently "ineligible" (as apparently mine was because it was marked for "December Delivery"), they more or less have to re-do the order order to change this to "Immediate Delivery". This may explain why he was reluctant to do it given that deliveries won't happen until December anyway. At this stage in the game I think there is very little chance of being assigned a VIN for the unrefreshed M3. Doubtful anyone (especially West Coast who are the last to receive inventory at the end of the quarter) will see a VIN / Delivery for the refreshed version before December, but at least now there is a chance I might and my order is in now and in the queue (although how and when VIN's are assigned is a mystery).
I asked my sales rep to give me the first available car as I specified it with a production date of November 10 or later. Hopefully that will remove any potential I get one without the refresh, and also that I don't get one of the first refreshed ones off the line. I'd just as soon they make sure the screw holes match up on somebody else's car! :)

Double laminated spotted on the newer Y's now.

glass.jpg