Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chrome Delete
Double Pane Glass
Power Trunk

Don't Like
Center Console (Fugly)
Rims (Fugly) Hope the performance Simms stay the same.
Heat Pump (just another noise maker and something else that can break for little to no improvement.)
Please, people, for the nth time, Model 3 is not getting double pane glass. This is double pane glass:

OIP.rmqiXUUwQYaA8Crcjir3JgHaHA

Model 3 will get laminated glass like this:

OIP.BHsd89sWd5olyu-m5XayFgHaFj

Two pieces of glass with a polymer sandwich holding them together. Makes the glass shatter proof and greatly reduces sound transmission.

double pane glass is a HUGE upgrade. more so than power trunk or a new console. The db reduction in cars with double pane glass is noticeable.

the heat pump has its place for 40F-60F ambient temperature where you do need some moderate heating and the outside temp is warm enough for the heat pump to work efficiently. obviously much colder than that and heat pumps do struggle.

This thought about Heat pumps was true back in the 70's and 80's, technology has come a long way with Heat pumps being efficient well below freezing.
Not to mention that Tesla is using what they refer to as a local loop to decrease the amount of time for usable heat as well as lowering the usable temperature range.

I actually was only JUST told that the heat that is generated by the power train, including the ability to send power to the rotors w/o moving them as a clever strategy to generate heat to warm the batteries, is NOT used to heat the cabin on the Model 3. Cabin heat is done by electric heat coils.

So I guess having a heat pump WOULD be a good idea as you get that octovalve in the process. The heat pump should not be that different in weight and repairs than just having the AC system onboard. Now, the heat in the dead of winter is like non-other in the current Model 3, quick heat and 100% efficient, but a heat pump is so much more efficient at getting you heat for the amount of power used. Especially with the ability to use waste heat from the drive train to keep you warm as your car zips down a chilly highway.

Heat pump DOES NOT give you more range Captain_sahaj it reduces battery loss in cold weather. So it never really gets cold in my location it will just be another noisy device, extra weight and something else that could break down.

heat pumps are stupid reliable and proven technology. been around in HVAC / pool heating world for decades. super reliable and 10+ yrs of no issues.

I'm in the agonising situation of starting the order process last week and having paid my deposit last Monday. I have not completed the order process fully as yet and have it held at the final stage. Should I pull the trigger or hold a bit longer is the big question I am asking myself?

Or it sounds from others here that I can put the order through and then speak to the SA at Tesla and ask to hold until the 2021 model VINs are issued to me, rather than an inventory car. Is that right?

The reason for holding is that I really want the power trunk lift, dual glass layers and black trim.

Thanks in advance and I know that people are unlikely to be able to provide a definitive to this, but an opinion on the ordering process, timing and whether holding is possible would be fantastic :)

Chrome Delete
Double Pane Glass
Power Trunk

Don't Like
Center Console (Fugly)
Rims (Fugly) Hope the performance Simms stay the same.
Heat Pump (just another noise maker and something else that can break for little to no improvement.)
Pretty much with you on these points. I don’t mind the chrome though.
Would like to see the performance models get better sport seats with

I'm in the agonising situation of starting the order process last week and having paid my deposit last Monday. I have not completed the order process fully as yet and have it held at the final stage. Should I pull the trigger or hold a bit longer is the big question I am asking myself?

Or it sounds from others here that I can put the order through and then speak to the SA at Tesla and ask to hold until the 2021 model VINs are issued to me, rather than an inventory car. Is that right?

The reason for holding is that I really want the power trunk lift, dual glass layers and black trim.

Thanks in advance and I know that people are unlikely to be able to provide a definitive to this, but an opinion on the ordering process, timing and whether holding is possible would be fantastic :)

that is exactly what you do - once they assign your VIN, you should be able to see it on your TESLA account. Make sure the 10th digit is an "M" as that will define if its a 2020 or 2021 model.

the one's leaving fremont facility now are headed your way, so you may be in luck to be one of the first!

Thanks MP3Mike
I understand how an a/c compressor works but I do not understand how a heat pump cools the cabin.
I am more concerned with keeping a cold cabin.

Is the heat pump just as good at cooling the cabin as a regular a/c compressor?
I wonder how the two will compare in cooling the cabin.
We have extremely hot summers.

Is the heat pump just as good at cooling the cabin as a regular a/c compressor?
I wonder how the two will compare in cooling the cabin.
We have extremely hot summers.

It works exactly the same as an A/C compressor. The heat pump portion is just the ability to reverse the direction so instead of moving heat out of the cabin it moves heat into the cabin. (And the system in the Model Y can do both at the same time so that it can both heat and de-humidify the air at the same time.)

People have reported that the Model Y, with its heat pump, has no problems cooling the cabin during hot summers in Arizona, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: chdavis and VT_EE